Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Is autism a mental illness? (please read post before voting)
Yes, all forms are 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
Classic Autism is, AS is not 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
LFA is, HFA/AS is not 41%  41%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 27

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jan 2008, 4:58 am

i was having a discussion with my NT friend last night about mental illness as he has a debate on it coming up. i told him that i did not think autism was a mental illness but he said that he thought it was. i have never thought myself mentally ill so i looked the definition of mental illness up in the medical dictionary & it says:

mental illness: a disorder of one or more of the functions of the mind (such as emotion, perception, memory or thought), which causes suffering to the pateint or others. If the sole problem is that the individuals behaviour as a whole is not in line with society's expectations, then the term illness is not appropriate

so based on this what do you think? the poll is rather specific so if you have anything else to add please tell me

NOTE: i did mean to include a "No" option but i must have pressed the wrong button or something as it is not there, sorry!

Last edited by Sally on 29 Jan 2008, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 5:07 am

Missing option: No, Autism is not(all forms)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 5:12 am

Pedantically, you can argue via dictionary terms that autism is indeed a mental illness/mental disorder.

Neurological disorder fits it better IMO [as there's far more to autism than just behavioral manifestations]. There's many altered sensory perceptions and a high incident of motor difficulties in autistic individuals (even those who're "high-functioning"); which is like many other neurological conditions, it's just that it's not progressive like MS for example.

It is a neurological disorder.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 7:36 am

Fuzzy wrote:
Missing option: No, Autism is not(all forms)

I was just about to say that . . .

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

TheFace
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2008, 7:51 am

I think this arguments has been argued too many times, so whats the best cell phone?

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

29 Jan 2008, 8:28 am

Autism is classed as a Neuro-Biological Disorder. NOT a mental illness.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 8:32 am

Like everyone else is saying, it isn't a mental illness.

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 8:54 am

I vote for the missing option: No, Autism is not(all forms)

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 8:56 am

No it is not classified as a mental illness. It is classified as a developmental disorder.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 8:57 am

No. Mental illnesses are things like Clinical Depression, some varieties of Schizophrenia, Dissociative Identity Disorder, and Bipolar Disorder; basically things you are not born with and are not really based on brain wiring except for some degree of genetic disposition in certain cases.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 8:58 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
Autism is classed as a Neuro-Biological Disorder. NOT a mental illness.

Mental illness is also considered Neuro-Biological disorders because they involve the neurotransmitters (brain chemicals)
within the brain. Autism is better classified as a Neurological Disorder, not as a Neuro-Biological Disorder.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 9:10 am

missing option, "no, ASD is not a mental illness"

A lot of people won't vote, which makes the poll extremely biased.

Wilco
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2008, 9:41 am

I voted that LFA is, the rest isnt but that's only because I can't choose that all forms of autism isn't a mental illness. Because it is NOT a mental illness. atm I'm helping many autistic people. LFA and HFA. and they are just different then non autistics. that doesn't make them menatlly ill! If everybody had autsim, non-autistic people wouldn't automaticly be mentally ill now would they?

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 9:42 am

I am the hidden vote too.

I have been assessed for mental illness and found to be mentally well-balanced, all things considered.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 10:55 am

As has been demonstrated numerous times, autistic brains are built on a non-standard blueprint, including differences in the amygdala, hippocampus, parietal lobes, and cerebrum. In cases of mental illness, the patient's brain is pretty close to standard issue (leaving aside such aberrations as lesions and tumors); the patient merely displays thought patterns, whether due to biochemical maladjustment or maladaptive thinking, that differ significantly from the norm, and cause distress to the patient or others (a psychopath may be perfectly comfortable with his need to ritually kill and eat three human beings every full moon, but it definitely causes his victims distress!).

By the same token neither hydrocephalia, fetal alcohol syndrome, nor Down's syndrome is a mental illness, even though they present quite clearly in brain function, as they are matters of neuroanatomy, not maladaptive thought processes.

gitchel
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2008, 12:28 pm

Forget that. Why is it an illness OR a disorder?

So the assumption is that because I'm unusual, I'm obviously incorrectly assembled?

[email protected]
http://perseveration.org
Twitter: Gitchel

nihil de nobis sine nobis