Page 8 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 8:32 pm

Silvervarg wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Many others in the discussion have soundly refuted your statement as well.

By "many others" you mean Sweetleaf...

Wait I'm the only one here who has problems functioning? I think they did actually mean many people as there are quite a few who have similar struggles....I mean I know you think you're all logic but I think that's been disproven. For one trying to talk down to people on a forum for disagreeing with you is not really a move based on logic.

Yeah, just as I expected.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 11 May 2012, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 9:20 pm

Silvervarg wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Social skills have a greater impact on quality of life for people on the autism spectrum than do any specific diagnoses. Contrary to popular assumption, people diagnosed with so-called mild forms of autism don’t fare any better in life than those with severe forms of the disorder. That’s the conclusion of a new study that suggests that even individuals with normal intelligence and language abilities struggle to fit into society because of their social and communication problems.

This is so obviously not true it's unbelivable you even posted the crap here.
And to be very picky, this thread, and thus my first statement was about Aspies.

Aghogday Wrote:

If you dispute the evidenced material your argument is with those that did the study and provided the peer reviewed results. You attribute the quote to me, but it is not my quote, it is a quote from an article referencing the research.

If you meant aspies you could have said aspies; you said autistics, however that's no problem, I've addressed the differences in studies that have been provided in my last post among the different disorders, including the correlation of schizotypal thinking (magical thinking) and aspergers.

Quote:
Those are your statements above that I was responding to; my response on fear and avoidance was in agreement that it can play a part in limiting social communication, but it is not necessarily predictive of whether or not someone is more logical than someone else. Some are rarely afraid to make responses in social communication, regardless if the responses are accepted as logical social ones or not.

Yes, and that's the beuty of statistics, these "some" will always be a minority. What is more likley to occur, occurs generaly more often than something less likely. That is undisputable.

Aghogday Wrote:
Avoiding response is not necessarily an indication of logic for some whom may be afraid to respond because of social admonishment, it is only an indication of no response as it relates to logical communication

Quote:
I have provided the broad perspective of the impact of autism spectrum disorders, that provide evidence without a shadow of a doubt that the majority of individuals diagnosed do not have the ability to make the logical decisions in life, required to gain independence in life. There are millions of individuals evidenced in the world that experience autism spectrum disorders as a disabling disorder.

And you made a whopsie again. Logic has no goal, it can't be judged by a persons "quailty of life", because these are fabricated by our culture. Logic is a way of thinking and a tool for problem solving, nothing els.

Aghogday Wrote:
I made no statements regarding quality of life; nor that logic has a goal; there is logic that provides correct outcomes and there is logic that provides incorrect outcomes. You quoted the third party reference I provided, not me, per quality of life.

Problem solving is required in social communication as well as in decisions that allow one to gain independence in life.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 11:20 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
@aghogday
you present very well that autistics are rational thinkers just by the way you post
for instance your arguements are based on evidence and facts typicaly coming from wikipedia.when people disagree with you present a link that suports your claim and refutes the others claim.your posts are long and contain many facts that you use to present your arguement.you dont show much emotion when discussing things even when others are rude.neurotypicals on the other put more emphasis on emotion,neurotypical respect self confidence and will believe who ever sounds like they know what there talking about.who ever has the most self confidence when they speak is who neurotypicals will believe regardless of what evidence is presented.talk loud and have much confidence and neurotypicals will believe anything you say.
you saying that autistics are not more rational then neurotypical is like the" pot not calling the kettle black" to use an old expression.

Peer reviewed research, is provided oversight in an attempt to ensure bias is not part of the researched analysis.

It's a wonderful way to cut through emotional bias, that all human beings are subject to. My opinion, on it's own, would mean little to nothing without it.

If someone can provide third party evidence to refute what I have presented, I have no problem learning something new and moving in a new direction. However just saying it's not so or this is how it is, is not refutation of those that have taken the time and effort to research a topic, under the peer review of recognized experts in the field of the research that is identified.

In fact it's not logical, if someone is science minded. Not everyone that participates in these forums have allegiance to the scientific method nor should they have to. I happen to value it over my own preconceived notions.

Some of my personal opinions are not evidenced by others, on Google; which is either evidence of creativity or a non-reasoned mind. I'm not quite sure one can even be creative, if they are bound in a shallow world of emotion, unless they are trying to find it.

Logic and emotion work hand in hand in success in life; the yin and yang balance of life, that has been understood well before western science was invented, and the connections of emotion/logic were studied in peer reviewed research.

Western culture is a threat to the Yin, world wide. Hard to understand how an over commercialized culture that pushes food and sex into every crevice of life, could be harmful to the Yin, but it has recently been evidenced in peer reviewed research to play a role in damaging it. Marketing is based on scientific analysis as well; it is hard to escape logic. The word Yin, was not used in the research, but interestingly enough the research was conducted in Eastern Culture.

The voice of reason, is neither weighted in logic alone or emotion; it is evident in a balance of both. When I was young one of the few places to find a balance was in song.

With that, I leave a little song that provides an emotional take on the potential pitfalls of a mind and culture overly devoted to logical analysis. :) If one hasn't come across it, it is worth listening to.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfjIw3mivc&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 4:25 am

aghogday wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Social skills have a greater impact on quality of life for people on the autism spectrum than do any specific diagnoses. Contrary to popular assumption, people diagnosed with so-called mild forms of autism don’t fare any better in life than those with severe forms of the disorder. That’s the conclusion of a new study that suggests that even individuals with normal intelligence and language abilities struggle to fit into society because of their social and communication problems.

And to be very picky, this thread, and thus my first statement was about Aspies.

If you dispute the evidenced material your argument is with those that did the study and provided the peer reviewed results. You attribute the quote to me, but it is not my quote, it is a quote from an article referencing the research.

If you meant aspies you could have said aspies; you said autistics, however that's no problem, I've addressed the differences in studies that have been provided in my last post among the different disorders, including the correlation of schizotypal thinking (magical thinking) and aspergers.

You posted it, that's why the quote is adressed to you, otherwise it'd looked like it was Sweetleaf who wrote it.
And you posted it here as an argument, therefor you are accountable, unless someone forced you to include it at gun point.

I never claimed anything about autistics, except when replying to your posts, and why do you think I've repeated "Irrelevent" like a freaking parrot...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Those are your statements above that I was responding to; my response on fear and avoidance was in agreement that it can play a part in limiting social communication, but it is not necessarily predictive of whether or not someone is more logical than someone else. Some are rarely afraid to make responses in social communication, regardless if the responses are accepted as logical social ones or not.

Yes, and that's the beuty of statistics, these "some" will always be a minority. What is more likley to occur, occurs generaly more often than something less likely. That is undisputable.

Avoiding response is not necessarily an indication of logic for some whom may be afraid to respond because of social admonishment, it is only an indication of no response as it relates to logical communication

... Time to wash your eyes and read that post again, because you (again) failed to understand it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have provided the broad perspective of the impact of autism spectrum disorders, that provide evidence without a shadow of a doubt that the majority of individuals diagnosed do not have the ability to make the logical decisions in life, required to gain independence in life. There are millions of individuals evidenced in the world that experience autism spectrum disorders as a disabling disorder.

And you made a whopsie again. Logic has no goal, it can't be judged by a persons "quailty of life", because these are fabricated by our culture. Logic is a way of thinking and a tool for problem solving, nothing els.

I made no statements regarding quality of life; nor that logic has a goal; there is logic that provides correct outcomes and there is logic that provides incorrect outcomes. You quoted the third party reference I provided, not me, per quality of life.

Problem solving is required in social communication as well as in decisions that allow one to gain independence in life.

Yes you did, I highlighted it for you so you wouldn't miss it. You said "They aren't logical because they can't take care of themselves." That is a judgement of their logical capabilites based on their quality of life.

Quote:
Peer reviewed research, is provided oversight in an attempt to ensure bias is not part of the researched analysis.

It's a wonderful way to cut through emotional bias, that all human beings are subject to. My opinion, on it's own, would mean little to nothing without it.

You seem unaware of a few things, so let me explain.
1. Peer review will only accept things they are willing to accept, this has been the problem of the system as long as it has existed.
2. There are several openly bias groups providing reviews for "science" they support. (Creatonism comes to mind first.)

A peer reviewed report is by no means a fool proof way of finding the "truth".

Quote:
Logic and emotion work hand in hand in success in life; the yin and yang balance of life, that has been understood well before western science was invented, and the connections of emotion/logic were studied in peer reviewed research.

The only ones who have stated such things here as been you, about our points, which is still wrong.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 7:19 am

vermontsavant wrote:
@aghogday
you present very well that autistics are rational thinkers just by the way you post
for instance your arguements are based on evidence and facts typicaly coming from wikipedia.when people disagree with you present a link that suports your claim and refutes the others claim.your posts are long and contain many facts that you use to present your arguement.you dont show much emotion when discussing things even when others are rude.neurotypicals on the other put more emphasis on emotion,neurotypical respect self confidence and will believe who ever sounds like they know what there talking about.who ever has the most self confidence when they speak is who neurotypicals will believe regardless of what evidence is presented.talk loud and have much confidence and neurotypicals will believe anything you say.
you saying that autistics are not more rational then neurotypical is like the" pot not calling the kettle black" to use an old expression.

Ahogday does have a calm and rational posting style. However, autism is not a requirement for being able to present arguments this way. In fact, being able to present arguments this way is a requirement of all who want to succeed in academia and research. If you go to websites frequented by those people, you'll see this posting style a lot. In addition to WP, I go to websites about the paleo lifestyle, which apparently attracts many people in biochemistry and medical research and so I see this posting style a lot.

There are people with autism in research and academia. Ahogday may be one of them. (Hopefully this speculation is not annoying ahogday. I'll delete if it is.) But, as with many things, most of the people involved are not autistic.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 12:27 pm

Silvervarg wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Silvervarg wrote:
aghogday wrote:

You posted it, that's why the quote is adressed to you, otherwise it'd looked like it was Sweetleaf who wrote it.
And you posted it here as an argument, therefor you are accountable, unless someone forced you to include it at gun point.

Aghogday Wrote
The quote is not attributed per reference of who wrote it. Aghogday did not write it, he quoted it from a third party reference. The reference was provided in the previous post. I provided it as evidence that higher functioning autistic individuals have problems in social communication, similar to some of those identified identified as "lower functioning". One need look no further than these forums, if one wants additional anecdotal evidence of that.

I never claimed anything about autistics, except when replying to your posts, and why do you think I've repeated "Irrelevent" like a freaking parrot...

Aghogday Wrote:
You've clarified it now, so it's no longer a problem.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

... Time to wash your eyes and read that post again, because you (again) failed to understand it.

Aghoday Wrote:
You stated words to the effect that some would avoid social communication because they were punished in social communication. That's not necessarily an indication of logic in those individuals, it's an indication of avoidance of communication. If you meant something else you'll need to explain it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes you did, I highlighted it for you so you wouldn't miss it. You said "They aren't logical because they can't take care of themselves." That is a judgement of their logical capabilites based on their quality of life.

Aghogday Wrote:
You highlighted a statement from a reference I provided, regarding quality of life. I did not make the statement you quoted above. I made no personal judgement on someone's quality of life, per that subjective element of one's life. The referenced article evidences it, not me.

Nor, did I say that someone wasn't logical because they can't take care of themselves, I said "I have provided the broad perspective of the impact of autism spectrum disorders, that provide evidence without a shadow of a doubt that the majority of individuals diagnosed do not have the ability to make the logical decisions in life, required to gain independence in life". This statement does not dictate how one views the quality of their life, or that someone does not exercise logical decisions in some areas of their life.

Per example, some individuals have special interests that interfere with logical decisions as they apply to everyday life functioning, per criteria standards, but this does not mean they are necessarily unhappy about their quality of life, or want it any other way.

The research provides evidence that many autistic individuals are living at home, provided subsistence, and/or supervision as required, depending on their symptoms. This research as evidenced is applicable among those identified as having mild forms of autism as well as severe forms of autism.

Quote:

You seem unaware of a few things, so let me explain.
1. Peer review will only accept things they are willing to accept, this has been the problem of the system as long as it has existed.
2. There are several openly bias groups providing reviews for "science" they support. (Creatonism comes to mind first.)

Aghogday Wrote:
Neither of these two issues have been identified as problems specific to the third party sources that I have provided. If you have third party evidence that they have, you are welcome to provide it.

The peer review process, nor the scientific method is perfect, but peer reviewed evidence provided by the scientific method beats anecdotal evidence, per emotional bias, in almost every case. There are no filters for emotional bias in internet discussions, other than oppositional opinions or third party evidence that uses the scientific method, to refute emotionaly biased statements.

Quote:

The only ones who have stated such things here as been you, about our points, which is still wrong.

Aghogday Wrote:
I made it clear that this paragraph was my opinion; it is based on Eastern Philosophy, and certain songs, per the example I provided. Anecdotal evidence, of which all your points per your statement regarding autistics, disability, and logic, have been based upon, so far in this topic discussion.

Last edited by aghogday on 11 May 2012, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:20 pm

Aghogday,

This is one of my favorite songs. Thanks for post it.

TheSunAlsoRises

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 7:46 pm

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
Aghogday,

This is one of my favorite songs. Thanks for post it.

TheSunAlsoRises

Your welcome, music was one of the only sources of philosophical thought, beyond Abrahamic Religious thought in my area, in my formative years.

My first year of college, and a philosophy course, was my first exposure outside of a tightly fit cultural paradigm of life. That song came out the same year during a philosophy course that I took in logic; it was a voice of reason for me at that time, that I failed to heed in later years of my life, succumbing enthuisiastically to a new world of logic, driven by novel sources of stimuli; moving away from a healthy balance of emotion and logic..

In my opinion the Yin and Yang folks go it right centuries ago; but they could have never conceived of the sources of stimulus that drive human nature today.

The Abrahamic folks had one simple word for it; Moderation.

The world today, appears to be tougher on the neurology of some with autism spectrum disorders, particularly in areas of stimulus addiction.

Organized religious activity, is evidenced as statistically dropping off, since the turn of the century. The target audience is getting smaller.

The opiates of the masses is changing, as an evidenced much more powerful source of intrinsic reward.

If one's spirit is equivalent to their emotional fire, there is an extinguisher in culture that is greater than any mythology of a beast, some 2000 years ago.

Science provides some interesting answers to age old philosphies, that have been questioned for thousands of years. :)

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 7:49 pm

Aghogday ... if you don't mind me asking (and its fine if you'd rather keep this private) ... when and where did you grow up?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 7:57 pm

Janissy wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
@aghogday

Ahogday does have a calm and rational posting style. However, autism is not a requirement for being able to present arguments this way. In fact, being able to present arguments this way is a requirement of all who want to succeed in academia and research. If you go to websites frequented by those people, you'll see this posting style a lot. In addition to WP, I go to websites about the paleo lifestyle, which apparently attracts many people in biochemistry and medical research and so I see this posting style a lot.

There are people with autism in research and academia. Ahogday may be one of them. (Hopefully this speculation is not annoying ahogday. I'll delete if it is.) But, as with many things, most of the people involved are not autistic.

No problem; I consider that a compliment. The last time I was involved in research was close to thirty years ago, as a research associate in archaelogy. The closest I got to writing research was labeling bags of charcoal and bone fragments that indicated subsistence activity at dig sites :)

There are few on this website, diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, that actually have identified that they are involved in research regarding autism. And some that have provided their actual research.

One of the reasons I see value in Autism Speaks effort, is that there is no doubt in my mind that there are some with autistic traits, given the opportunities with those funding dollars, to participate in that research. Systemization, is a general area of cognitive strength, beneficial to those involved in research science. Often, when I come across research, I feel a kindred spirit.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 7:30 am

Janissy wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
@aghogday

1.i never said autism was a requirement to reasonable thinking,your right nany neuroypicals are very reasonable.however even very reasonable neorotypicals put the emphasis more on how one says something as to what someone says.you can convince a lot (not all) n.t's of many false informatiom if you say it with a lot of self confidence.
2.aghogday was acting like it was silly to think thast autistics were rational thinkers and i was just addresing that viewpoint.i was not saying only autistics can think rationaly

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 2:06 pm

edgewaters wrote:
Aghogday ... if you don't mind me asking (and its fine if you'd rather keep this private) ... when and where did you grow up?

The Deep South in the 60's.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 2:08 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Janissy wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
@aghogday

1.i never said autism was a requirement to reasonable thinking,your right nany neuroypicals are very reasonable.however even very reasonable neorotypicals put the emphasis more on how one says something as to what someone says.you can convince a lot (not all) n.t's of many false informatiom if you say it with a lot of self confidence.
2.aghogday was acting like it was silly to think thast autistics were rational thinkers and i was just addresing that viewpoint.i was not saying only autistics can think rationaly

I think it was more implied that having autism does not make someone a rational thinker....not that people with autism can't be rational thinkers.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 2:49 pm

Neurotypicals are at a disadvantage because social constraints will prevent them from considering logic objectively.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 2:50 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Neurotypicals are at a disadvantage because social constraints will prevent them from considering logic objectively.

again with the blanket generalizations.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 3:47 pm

A neurotypical will ask : If the Moon landings are not a hoax how come WE are still not going to the Moon.