Page 11 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:37 pm

vermontsavant wrote:

1.Everyone on this website is different and types of autism are different,remember there are only 4 now because Retts is gone next year.however the truth of the intense world theory bleeds through to all

2. Pictoral thinkers can be very emotional and emotion oriented thinkers can be cold and stoic.visual vs. emotion thinking has nothing to do with whether people have emotions

3.I have done little or no autism speaks bashing or at least not without bashing the ASAN to.

There are five autism spectrum disorders now, potentially 1 next year if the revisions stand as is and if the DSM5 implementation dates moves along as scheduled. Likely Retts will not be a disorder included in the final revision of the DSM5, per existing revisions, but there is the potential that the DSM5 projected date of implementation will be extended considering the amount of problems evidenced in the entire DSM5 revision process well beyond autism spectrum disorder, revision. Many of the new DSM5 diagnostic guidelines are proving out to be less reliable in field tests than DSMIV guidelines, beyond autism spectrum disorder, revision.

The intense world theory is interesting, and potentially has valid associations with autism, however at this point it has only been tested in mice. There is a long way to go before it will be evidenced in human beings, per the type of neurological testing associated with the theory that has been done in mice.

It is a rarity for any functioning individual inside or outside the autism spectrum to be clinically evidenced as not having any internal or external emotions. The specific emotional difficulty most often identified associated with Aspergers is processing, understanding, and describing emotion per the condition of Alexithymia measured in close to 85% of individuals studied with Aspergers. Potential factors associated with the condition of Alexithymia are evidenced as psychological/environmental and/or biological in origin.

I personally don't see a need to bash either organization. Neither is perfect, but both play important roles in making lives better for autistic individuals and their families that are served by specific aspects of each organization's mission. :)

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:53 am

aghogday wrote:
There is no bookshelf that comes anywhere close to equaling the bookshelf provided by Google. If you don't want to use that easily available resource, it's up to you, but if one is searching for evidence to support or refute a point, it is highly restrictive not to pursue that avenue of research.

It is obvious that there are flaws in many studies, ranging from social science to physics, however you haven't provided any flaws in the methodology of the many studies I have provided, that address different demographics in autism spectrum disorders. You provide a study above that appears to be potentially biased, that is associated with media, but it is not reflective of any of the issues studied or methodology used in the studies I have provided. The scientific method provides evidence, and that evidence is either validated or refuted by further study. You have provided absolutely no evidence to back up one person's anecdotal experience in life, in the statement you made.

You are hence forth utterly ignored. :lol:

lostgirl1986 wrote:
My answer would be that some of the symptoms that come along with Asperger's Syndrome could extreme into a disability. Asperger's Syndrome is more like a different way of life but then everybody has different traits and symptoms and that's where it gets more complex.

Hey, getting warm here. ^^

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 5:39 am

aghogday wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

1.Everyone on this website is different and types of autism are different,remember there are only 4 now because Retts is gone next year.however the truth of the intense world theory bleeds through to all

2. Pictoral thinkers can be very emotional and emotion oriented thinkers can be cold and stoic.visual vs. emotion thinking has nothing to do with whether people have emotions

3.I have done little or no autism speaks bashing or at least not without bashing the ASAN to.

There are five autism spectrum disorders now, potentially 1 next year if the revisions stand as is and if the DSM5 implementation dates moves along as scheduled. Likely Retts will not be a disorder included in the final revision of the DSM5, per existing revisions, but there is the potential that the DSM5 projected date of implementation will be extended considering the amount of problems evidenced in the entire DSM5 revision process well beyond autism spectrum disorder, revision. Many of the new DSM5 diagnostic guidelines are proving out to be less reliable in field tests than DSMIV guidelines, beyond autism spectrum disorder, revision.

The intense world theory is interesting, and potentially has valid associations with autism, however at this point it has only been tested in mice. There is a long way to go before it will be evidenced in human beings, per the type of neurological testing associated with the theory that has been done in mice.

It is a rarity for any functioning individual inside or outside the autism spectrum to be clinically evidenced as not having any internal or external emotions. The specific emotional difficulty most often identified associated with Aspergers is processing, understanding, and describing emotion per the condition of Alexithymia measured in close to 85% of individuals studied with Aspergers. Potential factors associated with the condition of Alexithymia are evidenced as psychological/environmental and/or biological in origin.

I personally don't see a need to bash either organization. Neither is perfect, but both play important roles in making lives better for autistic individuals and their families that are served by specific aspects of each organization's mission. :)
1.there still will be 4 because aspergers,pdd-nos and a very few people on the kanner spectrum will be rolled into level 1 autistic disorder.CDD and the most severe on the kanner spectrum will be rolled into level 3 autistic disorder and obviously most cases of autism will be level 2.however retts will not be rolled into level 3 like childhood disintigrative disorder but will be its own thing.mostly at the behest of the retts crowd who resent there children being thought of as autistic.

2.i have been taught the intense world theory by my shrink since 1992

3.i dont trust large organizations

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 11:58 am

All throughout my life I have run into group think versus a more rational thought process and I have been declared mentally ill for not adopting group think.

For example when high definition television was first introduced some engineer introduced a defective format called 1080i which was riddled with ugly black scanning lines and produced an inferior picture. Unfortunately the television industry called this format "full high definition".

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 1:00 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
All throughout my life I have run into group think versus a more rational thought process and I have been declared mentally ill for not adopting group think.

For example when high definition television was first introduced some engineer introduced a defective format called 1080i which was riddled with ugly black scanning lines and produced an inferior picture. Unfortunately the television industry called this format "full high definition".

Constantly trying to spread hate towards neurotypicals is a pretty 'group think' behavior if you as me. I mean spreading hate towards a certain group of people because of the way they function/think? I guess next we should start building death camps for anyone who's neurotypical and thus defective. Surely the Nazis was not an individual but rather a group.

Spreading hate towards people for being neurotypical is just as bad as spreading hate towards people for being autistic.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 1:39 pm

If I wanted to spread hate against neurotypicals then I would have sued them. As a matter of fact I received an offer from an attorney to do just that. False advertising is illegal and having a majority opinion even from the television industry is no defense. But a lawsuit would have failed to change the minds and the hearts of the advertisers so I dropped my involvement with the lawsuit.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 1:51 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
aghogday wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

1.there still will be 4 because aspergers,pdd-nos and a very few people on the kanner spectrum will be rolled into level 1 autistic disorder.CDD and the most severe on the kanner spectrum will be rolled into level 3 autistic disorder and obviously most cases of autism will be level 2.however retts will not be rolled into level 3 like childhood disintigrative disorder but will be its own thing.mostly at the behest of the retts crowd who resent there children being thought of as autistic.

2.i have been taught the intense world theory by my shrink since 1992

3.i dont trust large organizations

Per the current revision in the DSM5, there will be one Autism Spectrum Disorder with three levels of severity, if the current revision of Autism Spectrum Disorder is implemented. Assessment of severity levels will be based on a current behavioral assessment, not current diagnoses.

In other words, an individual currently diagnosed with Aspergers could be put into levels 1, 2, or 3, depending on a behavioral assessment, per the severity levels, as defined, describing current impairments in social/communication and RRB's. And a person currently diagnosed with autism disorder could also be put into severity levels 1,2, or 3 depending on a behavioral assessment per the severity levels as defined. And finally a person with PDD NOS, could also be put into levels 1,2, or 3 depending on a behavioral assessment per severity elvels as defined.

Childhood Disintegrative Disorder is a very severe disorder, it's likely these individuals will be placed in severity level 3, but not impossible that they might be placed in a lower severity level depending on the severity of their condition, and how they are behaviorally assessed for severity levels.

Severity levels will be determined on a case by case basis, depending on behavioral assessment per the severity levels as defined.

Perhaps your psychiatrist taught you ideas similiar to those theorized in the intense world theory of autism, since 1992, however the Markram's termed their theory, and have a copyright on the research for the intense world theory of autism in the year 2007. The Markram's didn't start any research into Autism until 1998.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2518049/

Last edited by aghogday on 15 May 2012, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:01 pm

Silvervarg wrote:
aghogday wrote:
There is no bookshelf that comes anywhere close to equaling the bookshelf provided by Google. If you don't want to use that easily available resource, it's up to you, but if one is searching for evidence to support or refute a point, it is highly restrictive not to pursue that avenue of research.

It is obvious that there are flaws in many studies, ranging from social science to physics, however you haven't provided any flaws in the methodology of the many studies I have provided, that address different demographics in autism spectrum disorders. You provide a study above that appears to be potentially biased, that is associated with media, but it is not reflective of any of the issues studied or methodology used in the studies I have provided. The scientific method provides evidence, and that evidence is either validated or refuted by further study. You have provided absolutely no evidence to back up one person's anecdotal experience in life, in the statement you made.

You are hence forth utterly ignored. :lol:

Thank you, I might of ignored your first emotionally weighted statement as a statement of sarcasm, if it wasn't stated as fact.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 3:30 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
If I wanted to spread hate against neurotypicals then I would have sued them. As a matter of fact I received an offer from an attorney to do just that. False advertising is illegal and having a majority opinion even from the television industry is no defense. But a lawsuit would have failed to change the minds and the hearts of the advertisers so I dropped my involvement with the lawsuit.

Claiming being autistic makes you superior to neurotypicals and making constant negative blanket generalizations about all NTs on account of things 'some' of them did or do..looks a lot like spreading hate to me.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 4:57 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

Constantly trying to spread hate towards neurotypicals is a pretty 'group think' behavior if you as me. I mean spreading hate towards a certain group of people because of the way they function/think? I guess next we should start building death camps for anyone who's neurotypical and thus defective. Surely the Nazis was not an individual but rather a group.

Spreading hate towards people for being neurotypical is just as bad as spreading hate towards people for being autistic.

Yes ... it is tempting to do so but ... ultimately it makes one guilty of being intolerant of other people's differences. The advantage of much experience means we cannot claim ignorance when we do it, either.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 5:31 pm

Neurotypicals do not demand tolerance of other peoples differences within a group but rather they demand conformity to whatever group they represent. Diversity means you can choose which group you want to belong to but once you join that group strict conformity must be adhered to. And if you dare to deviate from their group consensus they will accuse the autistic of either being intolerant and bigoted or mentally ill.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 5:38 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Neurotypicals do not demand tolerance of other peoples differences within a group but rather they demand conformity to whatever group they represent. Diversity means you can choose which group you want to belong to but once you join that group strict conformity must be adhered to. And if you dare to deviate from their group consensus they will accuse the autistic of either being intolerant and bigoted or mentally ill.

And there you go again applying a negative blanket generalization to all neurotypicals based on the actions of some. Also considering how much you constantly go on and on about how horrible neurotypicals are I have a hard time believing you're very tolerant of those outside whatever group it is you claim to represent.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 6:11 pm

First of all no such group exists. Supremacy groups exist but they all involve hate so i can't participate.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 2:35 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

And there you go again applying a negative blanket generalization to all neurotypicals based on the actions of some. Also considering how much you constantly go on and on about how horrible neurotypicals are I have a hard time believing you're very tolerant of those outside whatever group it is you claim to represent.

You seems to be of the opinion that group thinking is negative, is that a correct interpitation or do you mean something els?

NTAndrew
Toucan
Toucan

16 May 2012, 10:32 am

Perhaps for the purposes of this discussion, we should define our terms. What is Neurotypical? Is it simply non-autistic, or does in include ADHD-PI, Bipolar Affective Disorder, Schizophrenia, etc?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 12:21 pm

Silvervarg wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

You seems to be of the opinion that group thinking is negative, is that a correct interpitation or do you mean something els?

It can be.