500 Barnes & Noble Stores Nationwide and Autism Speaks t

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 12:21 pm

500 Barnes & Noble Stores Nationwide and Autism Speaks to Host Storytime Events Celebrating Autism Awareness Month (Yahoo!)

Special "Let's Be Friends" Storytime at the Lincoln Triangle Barnes & Noble in Manhattan on April 2nd Kicks Off Program

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS - News), the world’s largest bookseller, announced today that 500 Barnes & Noble stores across the country will partner with Autism Speaks to host special Storytimes in April as part of Autism Awareness Month. The Storytime events will kick off on Wednesday, April 2, with a special “Let’s Be Friends: An Autism Awareness Storytime Event” at the Lincoln Triangle Barnes & Noble store in New York City (1972 Broadway at 66th Street).

On April 2, Barnes & Noble stores across the country will host celebrity Storytimes in cities including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas. Celebrities will read books that encourage compassion and respect for individuals with autism and other disabilities. Some 500 Barnes & Noble stores will continue the reading program during Autism Awareness Month.

“Autism affects one in 150 children in this country and yet remains a mystery for far too many people,” said Steve Riggio, chief executive officer of Barnes & Noble, Inc. “Our special Storytime events, in partnership with Autism Speaks, are a unique way in which we can help spread knowledge and promote understanding of this disorder, which affects so many children each year.”

“We could not ask for a better partner than Barnes & Noble in our effort to increase awareness about autism throughout Autism Awareness Month,” said Suzanne Wright, co-founder of Autism Speaks. “These in-store events will do a great deal to foster a sense of tolerance and understanding, something families affected by autism desperately need as they face the many day-to-day challenges posed by this disorder.”

Barnes & Noble’s national program, in partnership with Autism Speaks, is designed to raise awareness about autism and foster understanding of the disorder through in-store readings, activities and discussions. Autism is a complex brain disorder that inhibits a person’s ability to communicate and develop social relationships, and is often accompanied by extreme behavioral challenges. Autism Speaks is dedicated to increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders, and to funding research into the causes, prevention, and treatments for autism. All stores will feature books and information about autism.

Barnes & Noble.com (www.bn.com) will feature an autism awareness webpage. The page, www.bn.com/autism, includes information on local store locations for this special Storytime Event; an online preview of Since We’re Friends: An Autism Picture Book; a suggested reading list of autism-related books and other autism-related information.

About Barnes & Noble, Inc.

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world’s largest bookseller and a Fortune 500 company, operates 798 bookstores in 50 states. For the fourth year in a row, the company is the nation’s top bookseller brand, as determined by a brand’s overall strength based on its combination of familiarity, quality and purchase intent, according to the EquiTrend® Brand Study by Harris Interactive®. Barnes & Noble conducts its online business through Barnes & Noble.com (www.bn.com), one of the Web’s largest e-commerce sites.

General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company’s corporate website: http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com.

About Autism Speaks

Autism Speaks is dedicated to increasing awareness of autism spectrum disorders, to funding research into the causes, prevention and treatments for autism, and to advocating for the needs of individuals with autism and their families. It was founded in February 2005 by Suzanne and Bob Wright, the grandparents of a child with autism. Bob Wright is Vice Chairman, General Electric, and served as chief executive officer of NBC for more than twenty years. To learn more about Autism Speaks, please visit www.autismspeaks.org.

more...

- Emerson

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Mar 2008, 1:35 pm

" “These in-store events will do a great deal to foster a sense of tolerance and understanding, something families affected by autism desperately need as they face the many day-to-day challenges posed by this disorder.”"

Really? A lot of the intolerance results from Autism Speaks'

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 6:24 pm

B&N and Autism Speaks... together?

Great.

Looks like I will be getting my manga elsewhere from now on...

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2008, 9:41 pm

beau99 wrote:
B&N and Autism Speaks... together?

Great.

Looks like I will be getting my manga elsewhere from now on...

Indeed. Shame, they really did have a wide selection...

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 9:32 pm

I knew there was a reason I liked B&N.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 10:14 pm

I typically patronize Border's rather than Barnes and Noble. Now I have an additional reason for this.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2008, 10:48 pm

I no longer support Barnes&Noble.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2008, 1:49 am

Mr. Mark, way cool that you posted this. My family digs Barnes & Noble and my wife and I support Autism Speaks. Tomorrow, my wife's going to call the store that's nearest to us that may be sponsoring the storytime event to check out times/dates. We will definately support this effort.

I can't say enough how things like that make all the difference in the lvies of Autistic kids. And, hi-five to these companies/non-profits for their mission to "promote acceptance and understanding of Autism." That's what are families need is acceptance and understanding. How anyone can be against that is beyond me.

It's a new day for Autism. From all the media reports I'm seeing, this year will be a first in terms of big-time, nationwide recognition of Autism Awareness Month. People are really waking up and this type of recognition is exactly what kids like mine need. They need to be in a world of tolerance and acceptance, not bitterness and ignorance.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 6:46 am

I wish that Autism Speaks would wither and die. I will never take a f*****g cure.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 6:53 am

Kill with fire. Fire makes thing dead. :)

On sabbatical...

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 3:43 am

Believe it or not, there is a Barnes & Noble in Fairbanks, AK - their northernmost location. I've only been in B&N maybe twice since I much prefer to patronize our few local stores than a commercialized franchise. Somehow this seems disengenuous of B&N since they're marketing for an outside source; implies B&N endorses Autism Speaks, the organization. Is this not a conflict of interest? Unsure.

Thanks for the info, Mr. Mark. Autism Speaks is prolific, but I'm not listening.

CockneyRebel - No one can touch you, and certainly not Autism Speaks! You're stronger than Autism Speaks! Sid Power :D

Kayota
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2008, 3:51 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I wish that Autism Speaks would wither and die. I will never take a f***ing cure.

They're advocating cures? Oh God.

-slaps them... a lot-

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2008, 11:25 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I wish that Autism Speaks would wither and die. I will never take a f***ing cure.

I can make that happen. *Dials phone* "Yo, Kira! Wassup my homie! Listen, i need a favor..."

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 12:06 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I can make that happen. *Dials phone* "Yo, Kira! Wassup my homie! Listen, i need a favor..."

I'm not sure Light Yagami does favours....

On sabbatical...

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2008, 12:36 pm

I'm sure that if we made out Autism Speaks to be a cruel, dishonest, and overall evil organization (which is true), then Kira wouldn't have a problem with annihilating them....