Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 12:48 am

Well, well, well.....I live in Interior AK. Autism is unknown, like UFOs and Big Foot. So, ADA/DVR (aka: The Nazi Regime; yes, I've encountered them). DVR worker said to me (direct quote), "Do you want to live in the autistic world, or the 'real world'?" Then downhill from there. I was ex-communicated. Thank God (minus the religous aspect).

So...I found Fairbanks will be having an 'expert' on autism (NOT at a doctoral level, mind you. I am, btw). His name is Nathan Ory, from Victoria, B.C. I googled Nathan Ory. Not amused.

WHY did 'they' choose one like Nathan Ory to 'represent' the autistic perspective? I am FREAKING MAD. And I honestly have a (usually) mild temper. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???????

Like the discrimination/bigotry by local neuro/psych (un)professionals isn't sick enough. JIHAD.

Any suggestions? I will attend (I doubt there will be a bouncer at the door). I might wear my lab coat and fishnet stockings....very provocative.

help....advice anyone? WHY did ADA/DVR choose this representative to speak in Fairbanks? Perhaps Nathan Ory comes cheap. Google him - tell me your impressions.
Any hecklers on WP who would like to travel to Fairbanks, soon, to tackle Nathan? Or gag him?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 1:45 am

what is ADA and DVR, Labpet?

Merle

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:02 am

:?

Never heard of him before. This article
http://www.autismtoday.com/articles/Who ... change.htm
about autistic (not AS) kids seems ok.

Can you post links to what you don't like about him?

btw - I would love to see you in a lab coat and fishnets. Reminds me of Rocky Horror 8)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 2:58 am

sinsboldly wrote:
what is ADA and DVR, Labpet?

Oh...ADA = American's with Disabilities Act. DVR (a subsidiary of ADA) = Division of Vocatonal Rehabilitation. The only reason I need(ed) ADA was for accommodation, like at Univeristy. For ex: I have an enhanced sensory modality so fluorescent lights are really bothersome in my immediate work area; I sense the strobe and they cycle at 60 Hz. DVR is supposed to draft these ADA accommodations. But to get any accommodation takes an act of God (minus the religious aspect). They have made my life...miserable - many details. One DVR counselor (the one I referred to) actually made an appt. for me since to her, my hair (which is naturally dark blonde) doesn't 'match' my naturally really dark eyebrows/eyelashes. This is INSANE! Never once has this been a problem for me - EVER. This was DVR's way of 'fixing' autism; to make me 'blend in,' according to deviant's arbitrary rules. I have had meltdowns in this office, crying hysterically....they are relentless and have no idea what they're doing. SCARY.

I truly don't complain about much - I'm not a fault finder, but ADA/DVR have made me literally sick. They are the ultimate bigots. I feel discriminated against, deeply, that they choose to hire a public speaker as a spokesperson for autism! Many laypeople do not know better and just take another's word, without thinking! I begged/whined/cried/pleaded that ADA/DVR NEVER be allowed to touch any autistic, to no avail. I feel sick inside. I feel raped.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:05 am

Some about Nathan (just some excerpts)....he writes/speaks about 'restraining autistics' since they may not be able to learn. Relating about their 'out of control' behavior, lashing out.

I am far from this model. I am very shy/quiet, even withdrawn. I am well-mannered and would never hurt another.

He's written some other articles, some are (I guess) 'neutral,' but his tone is depracating. As if we need to be 'taught a lesson.'
I think autistic individuals (whatever level of functioning) try harder than anyone I've ever known! And they have a sweetness, an innocence. Nathan seems to think we need taught/punished, since we cannot really learn.
I have a cat (Tesla), and I wouldn't ever imagine even treating him in this way! Sick. Ergo, by Nathan reasoning: Tesla, when he acts like a cat, like playing with string, should be 'taught a proper lesson,' like to play more appropriately. What? NO. NO. NO.

And this is what ADA/DVR is advocating? What is the motive here?

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:10 am

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
:? btw - I would love to see you in a lab coat and fishnets. Reminds me of Rocky Horror 8)

Thanks!

http://www.autismtoday.com/experts/expe ... than%20Ory

Nathan also wrote a book, Working with People with Challenging Behaviors. Yes, he's referring to autistic individuals! Not liking the innuendo much.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 3:15 am

Sorry to post again, but I'm hurt/crying.....

I do understand a professional trying to help, and certainly (some/many) autistics have difficulities - but his tactic (refer to book title, for instance), just is misguided! He makes reference to us as 'the problem to be solved.' MENTAL SCREAM.

I guess I have no recourse. If ADA/DVR wishes to have Nathan as THE speaker for autism in Fairbanks, and I think I'm the only HFA in Fairbanks, then I stand alone.....as usual.

If a group wishes to have a speaker on autism - great! I think that potentially beneficial. But they need to be judicious in their choice! To do otherwise is discriminatory and deeply misleading to those who don't know otherwise.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 5:24 am

labpet, to me it sounds that worker from DVR is on the curebie side or maybe thinks that autism/aspergers is all mental and can cure it by telling the person to stop doing the undesired behavoir. the quote about the autistic world or real owrld, autistic and aspie is not an act, we do not chose to be ths way, its nothing we can help, even if you had made a potion or a pill, its not something you can cure.

by reading your post, im really glad that when DVR was offered to me I SAID NO then when the spokesperson for local dvr office came (nj mercer county devision) even after telling the counseller who offered it to me i said no then invited her anyway, i chewed out the counseller by telling the spokesperson from dvr that i was lied to and did not intend on getting any services that just do nothing but formally teach you how to do daily living skills tasks (hygiene, cooking, etc.) then stormed out and back to class.

heres what i think, big deal i write with a door closer (look at avator) know alot about fixing said hardware, enjoyed technical school and didnt walk til i was about 6, that does NOT mean that i cant go to the bahtroom or boil an egg or clean the toilet without being formally taught how to use it or needing prompts to remind me what to do, or feel humilitated wasting my time sitting or participating in a formal class on basic living skills, and how to get a job as a bagger in a grocery store.

what or who caused you to get into such services labpet??

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 7:12 am

LabPet wrote:
BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
:? btw - I would love to see you in a lab coat and fishnets. Reminds me of Rocky Horror 8)

Thanks!

http://www.autismtoday.com/experts/expe ... than%20Ory

Nathan also wrote a book, Working with People with Challenging Behaviors. Yes, he's referring to autistic individuals! Not liking the innuendo much.

LabPet,
challenging behaviors doesnt mean only from autists,it includes all,even those with MH problems can be classed as having challenging behavior.
they use the term in schools and residential homes as its on am records,they also keep piles of CB books.

challenging behavior in an autistic is more seperate from the autism,its strong behaviors that dont have an innocent purpose behind them,like with meltdowns,the staff here class it more under complex than challenging,but they class attacking out because a staff who do not like is near,as challenging.

am dont understand about the other stuff,but if they are curbies like doordoctor said,it would be a lot better for all if they had someone neutral to all sides of autism,even better if they are autistic themself.
they could learn a lot more from the autistic experience rather than doctors.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

lau
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 7:23 am

OK LabPet, I see what you are saying, about the Ory-ble man. ('Orrible? OK, so it wasn't very funny)

I read through some of his stuff on the Autism Today site, and he's obviously more involved with younger children. I was being fairly unimpressed by him, but halfway down the article Who has to change?, I think I changed my mind.

Maybe you should go along, listen to him, and then decide whether to heckle or not. :)

PS. I just got completely distracted... I was looking at Autism Today's website, who are kind enough to link to Quackwatch, which sent me off to chelation, which sent me off to dentists....

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 10:48 am

I always get stressed out whenever someone has something public to say about autism. I never know what they're going to do to me next. If things get really stressful, think about coming down here while he's there. We have Bigfoot here. :D

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 11:22 am

Yes, I got that attitude from a man (a Doctor of Psychology) that I ultimately refused to give my information to. Some where in all the 'subtle' talk from him (he was almost livid that I didn't want to give him an answer to his question 'is the glass half empty, or half full?' I asked him what was in the glass. he said it didn't matter - some liquid or other- and I just wasn't interested and changed the subject. He tried the next time I saw him and I didn't want to go there, but he insisted and it got like a power struggle. He demanded an answer and I chuckled and he just got all red and I swear his glasses steamed up!

This was the guy that wanted to 'teach' me that over tipping breakfast waitresses was 'unnecessary' as they got paid minimum wage anyway! :roll: He wanted to 'draw me out of the world I had made' into the (obviously to him, anyway) bigger better world he dwelt in. I was not able to get through to him there was several worlds he had no idea even existed.

And a screaming fit would have ensued, believe me, but I was frightened that this guy would take my freedom to 'live in my own little world', so I had to end all contact with him. And he wondered why I would not give him any locating information about me at the beginning! He said I was exhibiting 'paranoid tendencies' because he was a reputable professional that came referred by Roger N. Meyers of Portland, Or. I told him (correctly) that whom ever Roger N. Meyers may be, he was some guy I met over the internet and meeting him in a small cafe twice, and since they didn't take American Express (can you imagine him even trying to pay with it in a neighborhood greezy spoon?) I paid for our breakfasts both times.

He never inhabited the world I did. He obviously had never been a single woman in the world (which I mentioned to him and he brushed off as 'too cautious'.) His ability to put himself into someone else's shoes was astonishing. He kept me after the my bus to work went by and then grudgingly offered to drive me a mile to my work. I saw a bus going the other way and ran for it as fast as I could.

He knew I wanted to have some evaluation in done in three months for an annual review I was doing at work. He spent the three months with those two meetings at the cafe, and was always out of town, or asking me (who had just moved to the area a month before) to find a place where I was 'comfortable'. I told him time and time again other than the cafe I knew only my work and my home ( I only have one chair at home and really, I didn't want him to come into my home.) Long story short, he told me he was trying to 'empower' me by letting me find my own place to do the evaluation. And the week before the evaluation was due he told me there was no time to do it by when I wanted it anyway.

ok, if my larynx could have stood it, I would have screamed up a fit, alright!

I think they are not used to being questioned, Labpet. I think they are used to being a god by people that understand less about their field than they do. I think they are used to bullying their clients because they can. I think people that don't HAVE a college education place a lot of confidence on people who do (and we who DO have one, understand how many absolutely foolish people can get one!)

I don't live in the vast Wilderness of inland Alaska, I live in the relatively smaller wilderness of Oregon, but you are right, nobody knows nuthin' 'bout no AS! Gawd I hope the best for all of us. Hang in there.

Merle

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 4:25 pm

LabPet wrote:
Well, well, well.....I live in Interior AK. Autism is unknown, like UFOs and Big Foot. So, ADA/DVR (aka: The Nazi Regime; yes, I've encountered them). DVR worker said to me (direct quote), "Do you want to live in the autistic world, or the 'real world'?" Then downhill from there. I was ex-communicated. Thank God (minus the religous aspect).

So...I found Fairbanks will be having an 'expert' on autism (NOT at a doctoral level, mind you. I am, btw). His name is Nathan Ory, from Victoria, B.C. I googled Nathan Ory. Not amused.

WHY did 'they' choose one like Nathan Ory to 'represent' the autistic perspective? I am FREAKING MAD. And I honestly have a (usually) mild temper. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???????

Like the discrimination/bigotry by local neuro/psych (un)professionals isn't sick enough. JIHAD.

Any suggestions? I will attend (I doubt there will be a bouncer at the door). I might wear my lab coat and fishnet stockings....very provocative.

help....advice anyone? WHY did ADA/DVR choose this representative to speak in Fairbanks? Perhaps Nathan Ory comes cheap. Google him - tell me your impressions.
Any hecklers on WP who would like to travel to Fairbanks, soon, to tackle Nathan? Or gag him?

He comes across as almost a zealot, out to cure the world of this supposed bane. (That is not to lessen the effect that ASDs cause, but that not all individuals who fall on the spectrum desire or need a "cure") I'd love to come home and play stump the expert. Is Million Automotive still off the Old Richardson Highway in North Pole as you head out to the AFB?

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 9:56 pm

Thank you, all, for your posts. I've taken some deep breaths. Slow deep breaths.....ok

Yes, ADA/DVR is downright scary. I do not need, and did not, ever need to go there - ever. The ONLY reason was because I need basic accommodations, like fluorescent lighting reduced in my work area, some basic understanding - the usual, nothing 'special' or unreasonable, by any mean. I am saddened since ADA/DVR is supposed to serve many who DO have real needs, and they do them a verifiable disservice in many cases. That's an injustice and those in need do not further punishment by those unqualified and critical without data. Sigh.

As to Nathan Ory...I'm not impressed. He's ok, I guess, in his limited field, but not as a representative of many with autism, like myself, for certain. I sincerely hope those uninformed, in my area, do not inadvertently regard him as THE EXPERT. He's not.

I just hate to see others hurt, and many on WP, including myself, have been hurt, and deeply. This sort of scenario isn't the answer, but a step backward.

makuranososhi - About Million Automotive - I don't know. Maybe! There is a local mechanic's shop named 'Born Again Transmissions' and their motto is, "We might not be able to fix it, but we'll pray for you." Too funny!

sinsboldy - I admire you so much for what you've had to endure. May your glass of 'Reagent X' always be at 0.5 capacity.

lau - I actually thought that was funny! (Ory-ble). I really did, previously, type his name wrong: 'Orgy.' Ooops. There's a fine distinction between a typo and a Freudian slip.

Anemone - I hope to meet Bigfoot someday. Hasn't happened yet. You never know.

Thanks KingdomOfRats - your pragmatic attitude is right. And doordoctor!

BazzaMcKenzie - probably good you've never heard of him before...he's not worth the effort! He's not your type anyway.

I'm so locking myself in the lab. Inside the Farraday cage.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2008, 11:48 pm

Keep us apprised of the situation, and share if you attend. I'm curious... since I was born and raised in AK, is there a higher incidence of ASDs there? Something to look into... as if the pile wasn't already a teetering testament to Pisa.

*chuckle* There is a mechanic with a sense of humor.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!