Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Magliabechi
Toucan
Toucan

21 Aug 2008, 5:40 pm

The contemporary media is saturated with negative representations of autism, portraying it as 'a curse' 'an epidemic' and so on, whilst ignoring the fact autism is also a personality type and a worthwhile part of normal human diversity.

By countering this relentless negativism we can give acknowledgement of the value of Autistic Spectrum people across the entire range of the spectrum, from the idiosyncratic Aspie who makes an original contribution in society to the non-verbal Autist whose humanity is an inherently worthwhile contribution to society.

We can counter the demoralisation caused by the relentless misinformation inflicted upon Autistic Spectrum people, their family, friends and partners.

I think we need a place where we can post positive quotations about Autistic Spectrum Conditions; this thread is that place.

Feel free to post positive quotations from any source!

Magliabechi.

Magliabechi
Toucan
Toucan

21 Aug 2008, 5:44 pm

I shall start-

My favourite positive quotations come from the original description of Aspergers Syndrome, by Hans Asperger himself ( and it is still the best description ever written);

"Able autistic individuals can rise to eminent positions and perform with such outstanding success that one may even conclude that only such people are capable of certain achievements. It is as if they have compensatory abilities to counter-balance their deficiencies."

"Their unswerving determination and penetrating intellectual powers - their narrowness and single-mindedness, as manifested in their special interests, can be immensely valuable and can lead to outstanding achievements in their chosen areas."

"We are convinced then that autistic people have their place in the organism of the social community."

-Hans Asperger 1944

Asperger wrote and published this in occupied Austria at the height of the Holocaust. He defended us openly when the state policy was that people like us should either be gassed in concentration camps like Auschwitz or be prevented from being born at all. To do this in a Nazi ruled state - standing up for outsiders like us - was profoundly dangerous and took real courage.

If Hans Asperger was alive today he would strongly oppose 'anti-autism' hate groups.

Magliabechi.

Last edited by Magliabechi on 23 Aug 2008, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:28 pm

"The only way this world will become an outstanding place is when every one of it's members chooses to be outstanding"--Unknown

"The only man who can convince himself of anything is himself" -- unknown

KenG
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 9:52 am

* "I see people with Asperger's syndrome as a bright thread in the rich tapestry of life" - Tony Attwood.
* "It seems that for success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential" - Hans Asperger.
* "Nobel prize-calibre geniuses often have certain core autistic features at their heart" - Allan Snyder, director of Sydney University's Centre for the Mind.
* "After all, the really social people did not invent the first stone spear. It was probably invented by an Aspie who chipped away at rocks while the other people socialized around the campfire. Without autism traits we might still be living in caves" - Temple Grandin.
* "I wouldn't be where I am today if I were neurotypical because I would have been interested in social things. Having a little autism helped me achieve my goals and not miss what most people thought I was missing out on" - Evan Delaney Rodgers, autistic politician.

http://www.autscape.org/

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 9:47 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32oU8YSFR8E[/youtube]