12 Jan 2009, 1:08 pm

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/aut ... bryos.html

Please sign!! !

y es como un semestre"

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 1:22 pm

That's nice and all, but you'll never stop it from happening. We have friends who have a child with Down's syndrome, and they have heartbreaking stories of how few of these children are born nowadays. Once this type of thing gets started, it just goes on and on.

art4autism
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2009, 1:35 pm

Very very sad. It will happen and it will be up to parents to decide to keep the child or abort it. This is why I am so pro-life.

http://www.kimdean.com

"For success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential" ?Hans Asperger"

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 1:38 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
That's nice and all, but you'll never stop it from happening. We have friends who have a child with Down's syndrome, and they have heartbreaking stories of how few of these children are born nowadays. Once this type of thing gets started, it just goes on and on.

By political means it would be difficult. Other means I reckon would be a lot more effective.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 1:38 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/autistic-embryos.html

Please sign!! !

Have you thought about doing one on the UK government website?

DeanFoley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2009, 3:08 pm

I am not concerned about screenings, whether they happen or not. It does not bother me.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 3:47 pm

Kangoogle wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:

By political means it would be difficult. Other means I reckon would be a lot more effective.

It comes down to people's personal choice:do they go with the screening process or not? These days some women have abortions because they don't want another child of the same sex. We live in very odd times.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 3:55 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Kangoogle wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:

It comes down to people's personal choice:do they go with the screening process or not? These days some women have abortions because they don't want another child of the same sex. We live in very odd times.

Assuming that they are allowed the personal choice - if you get my drift.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 4:17 pm

I wouldn't get into an undue panic about this. In order to develop an embryonic test for autism, you would first have to isolate a specific gene that could be proven responsible for causing it. As there is no direct evidence thus far whether autism is genetic in origin (it probably is, but last I heard nobody could prove that), such a test is hypothetical at best.

I for one am a staunch advocate for educating the public on just what autism is - right now most people have the mistaken notion that it's synonymous with mental retardation, thus aborting such children is considered almost like doing them favor. If the general public is made aware that autistics are often quite intelligent, just not socially outgoing, and that many of our finest minds are likely to have been autistic, it might actually become a source of pride for some parents - 'Yes, our son is autistic - he just set a new record high on the SATs and invented an engine that runs on air, but he refuses to appear on Letterman!'

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:06 pm

Willard wrote:
I wouldn't get into an undue panic about this. In order to develop an embryonic test for autism, you would first have to isolate a specific gene that could be proven responsible for causing it. As there is no direct evidence thus far whether autism is genetic in origin (it probably is, but last I heard nobody could prove that), such a test is hypothetical at best.

Hypothetical for now, but consider the fact thet scientists have identified the genes responsible for William's Syndrome. It's our mirror opposite in behavior, but has definitely been identified.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:11 pm

Please sign!! !

On-line petitions are not worth the paper they're written on.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sethzack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 6:29 pm

Fnord wrote:

Please sign!! !

On-line petitions are not worth the paper they're written on.

I won't bother signing because I don't really know what to think or do about it, should we do something about it? I mean a parent has the right... no... they don't have the right to just kill any child they don't think will live up to what they want. But at the same time we can't really do anything, science will continue to screw with god and there's nothing we can do until the world ends.

I Want To Become Stronger...
... Than I Was Yesterday!! !! - The words in my avatar picture.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 5:01 am

I signed it!

Anyone see Gattaca last night? Unless you want that to become reality then sign this!

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 12:12 pm

DeLoreanDude wrote:
I signed it!

Anyone see Gattaca last night? Unless you want that to become reality then sign this!

What's Gattaca?

y es como un semestre"

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 1:58 pm

Kangoogle wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:

What are you suggesting?

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 2:03 pm

DeLoreanDude wrote:
I signed it!

What's Gattaca?

A dystopian future film where all the babies where made genetically perfect and the ones who are natural where discriminated against big time.