Report of the DSM-V Neurodevelopmental Disorders Work Group

Page 5 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

JadedMantis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2010, 2:47 am

"lack of social reciprocity"

I think this is an example of how the diagnosis can be affected by a lack of understanding by the person conducting it.
This is why the criteria (severity dimensions?) that are still to be added are so important and I believe it is impossible to judge the DSM-V draft without those criteria as they fundamentally affect how the criteria will be interpreted.

You are raising a reading of the criteria that is incorrect but I fear the type of problem that is very common in practice. Lack should not be read as a complete absence. If the criteria was an absence then that is the word that should be used here. Lack CAN be read as absence but it is a more widely used term which in this context would be more correctly interpreted as a deficiency "inadequate in amount or degree". This is also the reason that if you want to convey complete absence using the word lack a sentence usually involves more descriptors such as "lack of any", "complete lack".

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 2:15 pm

Mantis, I hope you're right.. but I fear that since clinicians are attempting to narrow the spectrum, more people will be rejected on this basis.

As for clarifying level of severity, I would not trust them to do that. After all, they will probably code Asperger's like presentations as "mild," when I have a moderate case of AS and may have the same degree of impairment as someone with lower intelligence.

I know how to mimick "listening skills" even when I am not in fact listening, and I know how to parrot back phrases that may appear reciprocal, because I have trained myself.

I feel this is a real issue and making this criteria necessary, when it used to be optional (only 2 of 4 criteria were needed before, with "lack of social reciprocity" being one) will prove to be exclusionary, and it will be especially difficult to discern when girls who appear "fine" on the surface socially have deeper issues with understanding social interactions.

The truth is, they are trying to narrow the spectrum. From the workgroup, below:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dsm ... mic-autism

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 12:27 am

As the JadedMantis said, you can't really look at the criteria and say that's it, without reading how the book itself describes them. This is something people failed to do with the DSM-IV-TR, and the work group now say they're making the accompanying text with descriptors of each criterion across the spectrum, so all those now diagnosed with an ASD will still meet them. The expanded text will be more important than the criteria themselves in other words.

They say if you meet the DSM-IV-TR now, you'll meet -V.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 1:46 am

I still don't feel as confident and reassured as you seem to be, since there is an effort to narrow the spectrum (see link above) and the new criteria is less sensitive to female-specific behaviors. That's why I feel the need to see whether we can help with the descriptors or re-phrase the criteria, to make it not exclude those who can mask social deficeits... hence, my petition.

(In other words, I want us-autistic females-to have input into the accompanying text descriptors.)

I have heard from several people that our diagnoses can't be taken away and we cannot lose disability benefits if the criteria is narrowed, since we were diagnosed before the change..

but that does not reassure me that autistic girls will be reliably diagnosed as the criteria is written now.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 4:12 pm

Lack of Social Reciprocity should be very obvious and easy to spot. Lacking it means you do not get along with other people. You can be withdrawn, or you can fight with them. You can argue, ignore, not want to go along with them. You could be a full fledged non conformist. Lacking social reciprocity covers more than just sitting in a corner alone, not wanting to talk with anyone.

Social Reciprocity means the child seeks out other children, and wants to get along and be accepted by them. They are able to figure out ways around disagreements and value friendships with other children. They don't want to bicker and are not viewed as "contrary".

Lack of Social Reciprocity is the child who has no friends, who gets into fights, gets picked on. They don't see why it's important to go along with 'the herd". They don't understand why arguing causes problems in relationships. They can't figure out why they can't make friends. These kids are considered to be bad seeds or troublemakers by teachers, but it could be they cannot figure out social interactions and you see the results.

Social Reciprocity is a vital part of childhood, that is why it's so important to identify kids who are having problems with it, and give them tools to effectively find ways to develop it. This is why problems with social reciprocity is central to diagnosing Asperger's.

If people are trained and know what to look for, it doesn't mean girls will go undiagnosed. It means the girls who really need services will be identified and receive them as early as possible so they can go on to make the most of their abilities.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 1:41 am

I would like to belive this is so.

I had no friends, 1st grade through high school.
Still, in my 1st assessment I was told I couldn't be autistic because I had "social reciprocity," which they defined as having mutual conversations with others. It was a lifelong, treacherous undertaking for me to develop that. I've had four assessments since that show that I do have ASD, but I had to gather up my baby book and have the drs interview multiple relatives for them to get a full picture. It was that hard.

As a child, I felt shame about having no friends. So, I made up names of friends and stories about what I would do with the friends sometimes. I masked very well.

I fear I am more the norm than the exception. Females are being threatened by this criterion in many ways, depending on how it is defined. However, without the input of women and girls, it will not be defined in ways sensitive to our gender. That is why I started the petition.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 3:07 pm

You are one of the fortunate ones, Whitetiger, who found ways during your childhood to develop a healthy social reciprocity. Your experience illustrates why it's important to have diagnosticians who understand each phase of a person's life. I still struggle with social recipocity and my relationships are compromised because I don't fully understand it. If more effort would have been made during childhood, I might be better at it now. Who knows?

I am all for identifying kids who lack recipocity so they get an oppurtunity to develop it and might avoid isolation or other unhealthy coping skills.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 3:11 pm

Well, I didn't actually have social reciprocity as a child. I just had good faking skills.

As I wrote, I had no friends at all. I just faked for adults and professionals. I think we're better at talking to adults, anyway. But, I could fake brief conversations with peers pretty well, although not making them friends.

I am pretty reciprocal as an adult, which is when I was diagnosed.

The DSM criterion was changed to narrow the spectrum.. which will mean drs will be pretty biased toward excluding anyone who might not fit for any reason..

and girls will be overlooked more.

Sebastian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jul 2010, 2:15 pm

whitetiger wrote:
The DSM criterion was changed to narrow the spectrum.. which will mean drs will be pretty biased toward excluding anyone who might not fit for any reason..

and girls will be overlooked more.

I agree this is a problem and not well researched. From trying to understand how the DSM and the ICD work, they do look at every research that is out there but they do look at research. If something is not backed up by research chances are this will not be put in the DSM and ICD. Fortunately I have the impression that more research on Asperger and girls will come up this year so I am looking forward to see more publications about Asperger and girls. Once here is some research about it I assume there is a chance it will get more and more.

Sebastian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jul 2010, 2:17 pm

I think it will be interessted if people on the autistic spectrum will get other new diagnosis in the DSM, like a proposed "Sensory Processing Disorder" and there was one about motor development I believe.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 5:42 pm

If "lack" is taken seriously, the spectrum would be narrowed to an extreme extent. Lack of reciprocity would mean no giving and taking in social situations. None at all. Which means, a smile will NEVER be returned, you can NEVER be seen borrowing or lending toys, and also, to stay diagnosed in adulthood, this must be present always. What we do here with posting is reciprocity, which basically means none of us are autistic.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2010, 2:12 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
It's good that they're fixing up PDD-NOS; it's such a mess. You have people with NLD and also others with Atypical Autism under the same heading, for example, and both are entirely different in manifestation.

It's also good how they're looking at the cases where people seem to "outgrow" their autism no matter what treatment is done, and should these people still be said to have autism as they effectively don't have it anymore.

I think they'll keep AS in, personally.

Me, too; I'll finally figure out what it is!

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2010, 4:15 am

buryuntime wrote:
fidelis wrote:
On the topic of outgrowing autism. It is a very valid point. I was diagnosed with ASD but according to the current manual I no longer meet the requirements. I show no more social difficulty than anyone else I know. At the very worst It can be compared to a first day at a new school. I have no repetitive behaviors outside of the way I think. I have no obvious troubles with school work, or other semi-structured social practices. To most people, even psychologists, I appear to be a nuerotypical. I'm not though. I still have ASD. I have just learned to "ignore" it. That is possibly a reason why they would play with the idea of "outgrowing" ASD. It's not possible, as far as I know, to actually outgrow it. It's who you are.

How can you just "ignore" it? This makes no sense to me.

---

By ignore, some persons mean they don't talk about the topic that much.

Also, many health care plans (2010) are known to intentionally ignore adult Asperger - adult ADHD, that is, the health care plans pretend that that adult Asperger - adult ADHD conditions do not exist (in adults) and will not cover it for adults to save money and maximum profits to the health care companies by doing nothing.

That certainly makes it difficult, actually impossible, to talk about adult Asperger - adult ADHD - since the health care companies will not pay for such a talk.

MTPrower
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2010, 3:59 pm

seebert wrote:
Crassus wrote:
What does it mean to outgrow autism? Neuroscans from before and after a certain stage in development or "Patient no longer presents symptoms in a severe enough manner to keep diagnosis" or my personal favorite "Patient turned 18, diagnosis of childhood disorder autism no longer warranted, no other condition diagnosible, patient remains disruptive and requires isolation from the rest of the ward."

I have my suspicions that this comes from the "Cure" movement- and that anybody who gains enough coping skills and eliminates enough excessive stimulus from their life to become functional will be pronounced "cured".

If so, it will be a sad thing for those of us who are high functioning yet still need some accommodation, as it will make that accommodation harder to achieve.

I agree. I was 20 years old before I so-called "outgrew autism". But I am no less autistic, and I know well that I can't live alone. It has taken a bit of time to explain this to the people who support me, but they now understand. I have been developing my self-awareness to extreme levels, and explaining what I have learned to other people has made my life indefinitely better in many ways. I only wish I could explain myself as well to the freakin' hospitals and government.

EVIL GENIUS seeks minions to sacrifice their lives in world domination attempt. Must be prepared to work 24-7 for fascist psychopath for no pay. Messy death inevitable but costumes and laser death rays provided. No weirdos.
Call: 1-900-MWAH-HAHA

Awiddershinlife
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2010, 10:39 pm

sg33 wrote:
Awiddershinlife wrote:
Your input is vital and I thank you for sharing that you feel I am on the wrong track (familiar turf for me haha)...
Please share what you think would be the right track

I am grateful that you remain calm and communicative despite our disagreement. Considering that many people become defensive, it is refreshing to be able to discuss calmly.

I think that the right track would be to emphasize our solidarity when it come to political and social change, but to recognize that political solidarity is not a basis for medical classification. The medical community should maintain and refine any useful clinical distinctions according to medical evidence. We should not pressure the medical community as a political tactic. Accurate medical classification is necessary in order to tailor medical care, educational and vocational support, and other services to the individual.

The trouble with your medical argument is that the "experts" frequently dont get autism at all. They truely need our input.

Nadir
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2011, 10:34 pm

there is quite enough research done on Asperger to separate it into different subcategories. We all know that there are kinds of AS and other kinds of AS. Some have certain skill, the rest doesn't. I think the main issue is how important DSM participants consider investing time in thinking of this. Also it is quite confusing when you have other disorders involved. The ability to give details in the description is what makes diagnosis valid and accurate. In order to provide a better understanding, rather than simple categorization, about Asperger DSM V has to provide different possible symptoms, and how certain mixtures of symptoms can describe a certain type of Aspie. This is important for those who do not enjoy the syndrom, because we, Aspies, know ourselves, but the rest doesn't.