Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 1:39 am

Had the same problem.

what worked for me was doing some exercise.

Try doing 3 sets of 12 situps and 3 sets of 12 press ups every second night. For some strange reason it made me fatter around my stomach. :shrug:

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 1:25 pm

Guitar_Girl wrote:
I am 16, 5 ft 6 and 88 pounds. I have very high metabolism by genetics. I get weird looks from strangers, and people call me anorexic. People who know me are surprised by how much I actually eat.

Smack them...(j/k)..

People do this to me too. As well as telling me to not lift anything, even plastic chairs, in case I hurt myself. I swear next time someone does it I'll hurt them. (I'm around 5'7 and 50kg...about 114lbs I think)

CJame
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2010, 5:39 am

Dodus wrote:
I'm fairly, but not dangerously underweight and I cant seem to gain no matter how much I eat.
Does anyone know any good resources for weight gaining techniques/products?

Just like overweight individuals trying to shred weight, gaining weight with a high metabolism is going to be hard work.

I am 5'10 and 135 lbs. I was 125 lbs a few months ago during the school season.

To gain weight reliably, there is no way around it -- you're going to have to watch what you eat (proteins), when you eat (often, and after workouts), lift weights (3 times a week), and get a healthy amount of sleep (8 hours each day).

If you're lazy or happy with your weight, just go to town on food and sleep 10 plus hours each day. After school ended, that's how I gained 10 pounds. You wont gain much weight this way.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2010, 6:21 am

I lift weights. Seemed to just burn the fat off me. I'm way stronger than I used to be, but I'm 5kg lighter.

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2010, 2:00 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Fish n Chips with Tartar Sauce, Pringles and chocolate. :lol:

On a more serious note, you might have to eat twice as much as you do, now. There's also protien powder that comes in a variety of popular flavours, such as chocolate, strawberry, vanillia and orange. Eat lots of pasta, if your diet will allow it. If you're on a gluten free diet, than choose the cuts of meat that aren't as lean. Than again, I don't even know why I'm giving advice about diets, because I don't even know the meaning of the word, diet, or else I wouldn't have opened with the cheeky joke that I've posted, above.

Sounds pretty good to me, although you're slightly confusing what you need to eat to gain wait and what you need to lose weight. Pasta, pringles and chocolate are very good for those people who ought to eat a bit more. I wish I was one of them, :lol:....

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

JLee50
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Jul 2010, 2:18 am

I'm afraid I'm going to sound like a spambot..but google GOMAD. You will gain weight - I've always been the 'hard gainer' type...used to be 6' 135lb, then seemed to stabilize around 144ish. I started working out seriously a few years ago and struggled my way up to 159, and got stuck...stopped working out and dropped back to 144.

I started GOMAD and Starting Strength (book available on amazon, GOMAD info is online) - basically my workout is:

A:
Squats 3 sets of 5
Bench 3 sets of 5
Deadlift 1 set of 5

B:
Squats 3 sets of 5
Press (overhead) 3 sets of 5
Power clean 3 sets of 5

Alternating those two, working out Tues / Thurs / Sat.

I've gone from 144.5lb to 155.5lb between June 21 and July 10. My squat went from 155lb to 210lb, and I'm deadlifting 230lb. I may have some good before/after photos in a few more weeks! :D

To get stronger and put on weight, IMHO you are better off with free weights than with machines. Find a gym with a power rack and see if you can find a personal trainer who knows how to lift and hire him/her for a session or two until you get the basics down. It's worth it, and it's doable. :wink:

Axure
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jul 2010, 5:12 pm

I'm 1.8m (6ft) and 65kg (140lbs) and I don't look very good. But then, I'm not really trying at all.

But common sense tells me:
a) You have to eat much more than you're used to, but don't eat crap (pizza or McDonalds is not food - it's crap).

b) You actually have to move a lot. Which is consistent with exercise advice from previous posters. And you need to move not merely to build up muscle (although that won't hurt), but primarily to make yourself hungry! And this I can vouch wholeheartedly: After significant physical effort (which happens to me on occasion ;)), like a mountain trek, I eat much more than usually. :D

If you keep sitting at your computer (or books, or toy train obsession) and keep feeding yourself tons of noodles, you'll just turn from a very thin person into a thin person with an ugly bum and belly.

JLee50
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2010, 2:27 am

Axure wrote:
I'm 1.8m (6ft) and 65kg (140lbs) and I don't look very good. But then, I'm not really trying at all.

But common sense tells me:
a) You have to eat much more than you're used to, but don't eat crap (pizza or McDonalds is not food - it's crap).

b) You actually have to move a lot. Which is consistent with exercise advice from previous posters. And you need to move not merely to build up muscle (although that won't hurt), but primarily to make yourself hungry! And this I can vouch wholeheartedly: After significant physical effort (which happens to me on occasion ;)), like a mountain trek, I eat much more than usually. :D

If you keep sitting at your computer (or books, or toy train obsession) and keep feeding yourself tons of noodles, you'll just turn from a very thin person into a thin person with an ugly bum and belly.

I'm tellin' ya...eat as much as you can and drink a gallon of whole milk a day. And lift. www.stronglifts.com <-- A+++++. I'm doing Starting Strength's 3x5 workout.

This is how I started and this is four weeks later. 6' 144.5lb and 6' 160lb, respectively.

I'm shooting for 180 by September 13th.

Lindsey1151
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2019, 3:51 pm

Alot of autistic people have trouble gaining weight and are often very thin for some strange reason... Why isn't this researched already....