Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

MissBrooklyn
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2015, 1:17 pm

Ok I hope the title doesn't offend anyone. But the title is literally true. I look younger than 24, but the problems I have are of a person that is 70 years old. For one, I've been having joint pain since I was 6 years old. Family gave me the nick name "little granny". And other people have called me "grandma". It's crazy. I got shingles when I was 15. When I was 19 I got a retinal detachment and had to get surgery along with laser. Now I'm left literally blind on almost half my eye. It's pitch black. And the parts where I can see, it's filled with floaters. My joints have been getting worse and worse. Got xrays done and apparently the only thing that showed was a muscle spasm on my neck. I get little neck jerks, and facial spasms from time to time, along with other body jerks. It's annoying and weird when it happens in public. My facial muscles feel stiff and so it can be hard to talk...plus I already have difficulties forming sentences. I have to think deeply before I talk. If not, I'll be stuttering like if there is no tomorrow.

The crazy part about this whole thing is that I physically look totally normal. My problems are not visibly noticeable and I am not constantly complaining to people about my pain. And so I look fine. But I do have the medical proof. My rheumotologist (sp?) said that I have psoriasis along with eczema (eczema confirmed by my dermatologist). At the moment it has calmed down and so I don't have noticeable flare ups. But she (my rheumotologist) is saying that my pain seems to be psoriatic arthritis.

I work part time and honestly, I can't. I'm in chronic pain every time I'm at work. My back and neck ache so bad. My pelvis hurts that most of the time I have to sit on the left side of my pelvis so it probably looks like I'm trying to do something inappropriate when I'm not (if you know what I mean). I try to have a good sense of humor because if I don't I think I might go crazy from all these problems. I've cried and cried about it and it makes my heart hurt and feel like I'm going to get a heart attack. I also have asthma so getting extremely emotional about things can aggravate it.

Will disability work for me? Where do I apply? What should I bring with me? How long will it take?

I feel like I'm falling apart by the moment. Advils don't even work on me.

On top of all this mess, I'm allergic to almost everything. A bunch of fruits, nuts, eggs, etc. And have multiple food sensitivities to gluten, cow milk, etc. All I can eat that doesn't make me feel like garbage are vegetables. And it's been hard. I feel like I'm constantly feeling hungry. I've lost so much weight.. I want to get accepted for disability cause this is just not right that I have to go to a job that barely pays and I'm there in chronic pain. Not only am I in pain because of my joints but my sensory issues are affected cause I have to constantly deal with people and deal with their attitudes, loud voices, bright lights, etc.

Any advice?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Jan 2015, 2:11 am

Have you talked with your docs about trying an immune suppressant? They can help some with eczema, psoriasis, arthritis, & allergies.
BTW I was away visiting my family for about 3 weeks so that's why I haven't replied to your PM. I'll try to in the next few days.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jan 2015, 11:15 pm

That sounds terrible, at that age you shouldn't have to feel like this. You should discuss with a doctor if you can get some form of disability or waiver for Psoriatic Arthritis. Your case sounds more severe, especially since you have retinal detachment which may be a symptom of an auto immune disease. Are you taking medication for this condition?

To help you for now I ask you are you getting enough protein in your diet? Being hungry usually means two things: lack of carbohydrates or lack of protein. A protein deficiency may cause issues with muscle and joints, especially with this condition those areas can use some reinforcement. I recommend you to find alternative protein sources that you aren't allergic to. If you find it difficult to meet protein needs you might want to look at specific forms of protein powder ( that doesn't contain lactose ) and vitamin / mineral supplements.

Take care and keep strong.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 11:38 pm

A friend of mine has the same digestive issues, and I too can personally back this up; you should do everything in your power to try medical marijuana if you haven't already. Especially anything high in cannabidiol. It's a natural anti-inflammatory, reduces intra-occular pressure (this has helped me with monitor eyestrain), pain reliever and hypertension remedy. I've used it for all kinds of troubles relating to my HFA as well.

I've seen it save lives. Here's hoping yours can be among them. PM me if you wish.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 11:44 pm

F.Lux might help you with occular headaches caused by your computer screen(s). It lengthens the wavelengths coming from each pixel, my insomnia would be wrecking me if not for this.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm

Also, Kava is an herbal muscle relaxant I really like. I get random twitches basically anywhere and it clears those up quite nicely.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 12:09 am

kava can cause liver failure and is banned in several european countries.

it can't hurt to apply for disability. call social security and make an appointment. it's a long process.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 12:11 am

cathylynn wrote:
kava can cause liver failure and is banned in several european countries.

it can't hurt to apply for disability. call social security and make an appointment. it's a long process.

I know that but it's information that's widely available and the risk is quite low in normal doses. It's powerful stuff to be sure.

MissBrooklyn
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2015, 3:02 pm

cberg wrote:
A friend of mine has the same digestive issues, and I too can personally back this up; you should do everything in your power to try medical marijuana if you haven't already. Especially anything high in cannabidiol. It's a natural anti-inflammatory, reduces intra-occular pressure (this has helped me with monitor eyestrain), pain reliever and hypertension remedy. I've used it for all kinds of troubles relating to my HFA as well.

I've seen it save lives. Here's hoping yours can be among them. PM me if you wish.

I would love to try medical marijuana. I honestly think it will help lower all this inflammation. I've heard good things about it, and how it can even cure cancer. I want to try it but don't know where to go.

MissBrooklyn
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2015, 3:08 pm

qFox wrote:
That sounds terrible, at that age you shouldn't have to feel like this. You should discuss with a doctor if you can get some form of disability or waiver for Psoriatic Arthritis. Your case sounds more severe, especially since you have retinal detachment which may be a symptom of an auto immune disease. Are you taking medication for this condition?

To help you for now I ask you are you getting enough protein in your diet? Being hungry usually means two things: lack of carbohydrates or lack of protein. A protein deficiency may cause issues with muscle and joints, especially with this condition those areas can use some reinforcement. I recommend you to find alternative protein sources that you aren't allergic to. If you find it difficult to meet protein needs you might want to look at specific forms of protein powder ( that doesn't contain lactose ) and vitamin / mineral supplements.

I am not currently taking any medication. Doctors recommend steroids but that is not a cure and I do not like the side effects of steroids.

There is nothing doctors can do for my eyes. Only thing they said is that I'm at higher risk of getting another detachment.

I do eat chicken and fish, sometimes liver and steak a few times a week. But I haven't noticed changes. I think it's the antibiotics in it and all the pesticides that are making me feel worse when I consume those foods. Cause I've been a meat eater all my life. And I'm quite short and small for my age. Could have also been the steroids that I took as a kid for my skin condition that caused me to not grow very much.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Jan 2015, 11:31 pm

MissBrooklyn wrote:
qFox wrote:

I am not currently taking any medication. Doctors recommend steroids but that is not a cure and I do not like the side effects of steroids.

There is nothing doctors can do for my eyes. Only thing they said is that I'm at higher risk of getting another detachment.

I do eat chicken and fish, sometimes liver and steak a few times a week. But I haven't noticed changes. I think it's the antibiotics in it and all the pesticides that are making me feel worse when I consume those foods. Cause I've been a meat eater all my life. And I'm quite short and small for my age. Could have also been the steroids that I took as a kid for my skin condition that caused me to not grow very much.
My girlfriend's younger brother took Prednisone(which is a steroid) as a kid for bad asthma & he was pretty short for his age so they put him on hormones to help him grow in his teen years & he shot up & is pretty big as an adult. Hormones won't work for you now thou sense you quit growing after puberty but my point was that it's possible the steroids made you short. Steroids are a lot more dangerous before your done with puberty sense the body's done developing & growing then. I'm not saying that they'd be safe but they won't be as dangerous taking then now as they were when you were a kid.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 7:15 pm

Since you are already on a restricted diet with your food sensitivities anyway, I'd think about trying a diet like the Autoimmune Paleo Protocol or the GAPS diet, in order to heal your gut. (Even if you do not have serious digestive issues, many people with a lot of health issues like the ones you are describing have underlying gut issues).

Or, if you don't want to follow a structured program, it might still be good to at least try to an elimination diet of your own design to 'test' different foods and see your reactions to them in isolation. Sometimes people have food sensitivities that do not cause digestive symptoms and go for years without know food is triggering their issue. (For example, pork and nightshades cause me joint pain and wheat products give me migraines. It took me a very long time and, eventually, an elimination diet to make the connection, though!)

I also wonder if guided meditation or deep breathing exercises might be helpful for dealing with all of the stress you are under right now? Stress can definitely aggravate just about any health problem. :(

Hang in there. I really hope things start getting better for you.