My legs and feet hurt and I have trouble keeping balance

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 2:22 pm

In the last few days, my legs and feet began to hurt and I've noticed that it's affected my standing up or walking, like I have become unbalanced, or clumsy.

I wonder what it could be?

Unfortunately, I may not be able to see a doctor about this until Monday.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 12:49 am

I did a walk-in and saw a doctor early this Saturday. He began looking at recent vitamin test results and saw my vitamin D test results, which were 17 ng/ml, with 32-100 ng/ml being the normal range, so that was pretty low. He prescribed a strong vitamin D supplement I will take once weekly. That also got me back into reincorporating fish into my diet, as recommended by my PCP, since that helps increase your vitamin D levels. He also said he was testing me for my vitamin B12 levels.

He's also referring me to a neurologist to get a complete work-up, as I might have developed a problem with my central nervous system (which I wondered about, too, as I wondered if maybe I was developing multiple sclerosis, though I didn't mention MS to him). The pattern of symptoms, both legs being in pain, both feet feeling numb, and difficulty coordinating walking and keeping balance, suggests there might be something wrong with my central nervous system. That I have recently had a decline in my mental health over the past year also supports it, I think.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Mar 2015, 12:38 pm

It's good your getting things checked out. Keep us informed.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 3:02 am

Still having symptoms. Now my lower back has joined in with the fun.

My appointment with the neurologist is on 4/8, just a few days following my birthday. Yay! I get to be 31! :roll: I wonder if my symptoms would remit by then?

NEOoooo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2015, 10:54 pm

God bless you !

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2015, 11:50 pm

Do you eat a lot of canned tuna, seafood? You should probably read up on Mercury poisoning. The FDA recommends no more than 1-2 cans a week.

Try eggs for Vitamin D, and wallnuts for omega 3 fatty acids.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 10:26 pm

Also, regarding possible hypochondria, I remembered when I first started looking up my symptoms. It wasn't, until after I noticed that both legs and feet hurt and that I had trouble keeping balance, that I started looking up my symptoms, so this might not be hypochondria and I think it is important to see the neurologist and do the tests that they do.

Also, over the past week I've noticed some improvement in the trouble staying coordinated. I seem to get the worst symptoms of lack of coordination when I wake up in the middle of the night feeling sleepy and I really need to use the restroom. It's amazing all the extra maneuvers I have to do then and sometimes other times just to keep myself from falling over and hitting hard ground.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 7:29 am

Looking at the appointment follow-up at my PCP's, I have quite normal B12 levels. His diagnosis was "parethesias."

EDIT: Also, my blood circulation in the extremities was found to normal, maybe even a bit strong.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 8:33 am

Here is a link the an NIH article on PARETHESIA.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 8:15 am

It might also be autoimmune disease and/or low blood pressure. Do you get good sleep?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 5:51 am

Vomelche,

That's what I was thinking, too. Multiple sclerosis is a type of autoimmune disease.

Anyway, my lack of coordination/balance problems seem to have gone away, or at least I can compensate for them now fully! Of course, I still intend to go to the neurologist. The pain and numbness in my feet and legs seems to have gone down a bit, though there's still a little bit of that there. I had quite a bit of back pain and I have slept a lot in the past couple days, though that seems to be due to dehydration and hardly eating anything.

One down side is that I seem to have undergone bowel changes that make it difficult to go a number 2; I'm also having problems with my bladder. Of course, whether these problem are part of the above, I don't know. They could be, I read. I definitely intend to let the neurologist know. I have had many periods of bowel and bladder problems at least throughout my adult life.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 6:40 am

What has also probably helped is the Vitamin D supplementation.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 8:06 am

beneficii wrote:
I had quite a bit of back pain and I have slept a lot in the past couple days, though that seems to be due to dehydration and hardly eating anything.

I've read that resting too much is also not healthy, like it can lower blood pressure and stuff. You could try sleeping only 8-9 hours.

Xandra
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Apr 2015, 10:40 pm

It seems like the pain are radiating to the other parts of your body, you should do a general check up to find out once and for all what is happening to you.