Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 3:18 am

People tend to put on 5 pounds per decade. I'm an over-achiever.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 4:01 pm

Metabolism tends to decline as we age.

Unless one adjusts their diet, activity levels or both weight gain is inevitable.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2024, 4:09 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Do you naturally put on a fair few pounds in weight between your 20s - 30s?

That seems a bit early to start getting fatter, but to answer the thread title question, yes it's very common to gain weight with age.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/w ... aging.aspx

Where I am (rural Arkansas), nearly all the men over about 30 have beer bellies, and many younger than that are well on the way. I know one guy in his 70s who has dodged the trend. He has a manual job working outdoors, and seems to take his health seriously.

I was a bit chubby when I was a schoolboy but after that I lost the extra weight and have retained a healthy weight ever since. I didn't do anything deliberate or difficult to achieve that. I think what happened was that my special interests tend to be so absorbing that I often forget to eat till some time in the afternoon. When I was a schoolboy I wasn't allowed to skip meals like that, and my mother seemed to think it was healthier to be a bit chubby than to be a bit thin. Also, as I went my own way I started to reject junk food and I didn't like buying food when I was at work because I didn't like the cafeteria, so I'd tend to fast and just have a sandwich when I got home at lunctime. And I've always liked getting a bit of fresh air and exercise, as long as it's not too painful.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 2:52 am

Jamesy wrote:
Do you naturally put on a fair few pounds in weight between your 20s - 30s?

I actually lost a lot of weight in that pariod.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 3:28 am

My brother and I were made fun of for being skinny in highschool. Then when I was in my 30s it became fashionable, Probably should have taken more advantage of that.

Both my wife and I have never really put on that much weight but then again we both have lost our appetites compared to how we were in our 30s.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2024, 11:03 am

Putting on weight with age is more of a lifestyle (rather than genetic)

1) They take on more responsibilities (family, kids, career) and put less attention into their physique

2) They get into a marriage/long-term relationship and they gain happy-relationship weight.

3) If people are less physically active in their 30's than 20's, they will lose muscle mass and that will reduce their metabolism.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 12:16 pm

4+ decades of aging results in me weighing nearly twice what I did in high school. :oops: but if you were to look at me [especially my face] I would not generally strike most folk as being obviously obese or even overweight, my height [6'3"] helps out a lot here.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 2:39 pm

85lbs at 35.
105 lbs at 60.

Eating a 2 ft hotdog and fries!

Doctor says I could use a few pounds.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 2:42 pm

better to have to use a few pounds than to have to LOSE a few pounds.

Lindsey1151
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2024, 4:33 pm

BTDT wrote:
85lbs at 35.
105 lbs at 60.

Eating a 2 ft hotdog and fries!

Doctor says I could use a few pounds.

It's the autism making your brain work extra harder so your ending up burning more calories as a typical person because of the autism!! ! I SWEAR autism can affect metabolism. OMG why hasn't this been researched much!! !

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 8:13 pm

^^^that may have been the case for me when I was younger.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 7:30 pm

I gained 70 pounds in high school without any diet or exercise changes due to my medication. Now I just fluctuate at my current weight. I lose 5 pounds then gain it back. I’ve learned that there’s more to life than beating myself up over my weight struggles due to my meds.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2024, 8:47 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Do you think me weighing 168-170 pounds at about 5ft8 has something to with that?

That is not at all a fat weight for that height.

But yes, I do think people tend to gain weight over the years. I have to eat a lot less now than I did in my 30s to maintain a similar weight. It's not just a matter of activity level.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 2:29 pm

bee33 wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
Do you think me weighing 168-170 pounds at about 5ft8 has something to with that?

Do you know what your body fat percentage is? One problem with BMI is that it doesn't account for muscle, which someone stated earlier. A few years ago I was at 174 pounds and am 5Ft7. I looked flabby with a slight gut. If I had been very muscular I could have weighted the same but looked very lean and in shape.