why do you exercise: for health or body image?

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

why do you exercise?
body image: i want to look good 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
body image: i want to look good 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
health: i want to feel good 7%  7%  [ 10 ]
health: i want to feel good 7%  7%  [ 10 ]
both 28%  28%  [ 37 ]
both 28%  28%  [ 37 ]
i'm an athelete and i want better performance 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
i'm an athelete and i want better performance 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
i don't exercise 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
i don't exercise 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 134

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm

Pitabread123 wrote:
All three really. Thanks to OP for bringing up this threat because there's a lot of confusion between body image and health that marketers try to play to and its important to know the distinction

What confusion is there between body image and health? Please explain!

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 1:49 am

Having a certain cody image, does not include being healthy. So as example there is the prejudice, that being skinnier is automatic a sign of someone being healthier.

Now if you take two persons, one being 10% skinnier, so caring for not eating too much, but not caring for the nutrition of the food he eats, as example, one McMenu every day, doing no sports. In opposite, someone having 10% more weight, doing sports, eating a bit more but caring for it to be healthy food. According to prejudices the first person was healthier, because of him being slimmer, while every doctor and scientific blood test will agree with the second person to be healthier, even when maybe having a bit more of fat.

Or as example someone doing solely muscle building with high protein diet. Accroding to general prejudices, the more muscles you have, the more you seem to care for your health. While in reality the exercising and exact repeating of certain movements, simply ruin your joints from an certain exercise amount. Just as the typical high protein diets, build up muscles in theory, but unlike sportlers that really gained their muscles by using them, artificial bodybuilder muscles often are simply artificially blown up by the protein, but lack blood and energy supply, which cause them to have far more less "energy output" then "normal built" muscles. Or to explain it in pictures: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeGL70XpLZQ[/youtube] So shortly, having 20% more muscles then someone else, doesnt mean automatically being healthier or stronger then this person.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 2:18 pm

Schneekugel wrote:
Having a certain cody image, does not include being healthy. So as example there is the prejudice, that being skinnier is automatic a sign of someone being healthier.

Now if you take two persons, one being 10% skinnier, so caring for not eating too much, but not caring for the nutrition of the food he eats, as example, one McMenu every day, doing no sports. In opposite, someone having 10% more weight, doing sports, eating a bit more but caring for it to be healthy food. According to prejudices the first person was healthier, because of him being slimmer, while every doctor and scientific blood test will agree with the second person to be healthier, even when maybe having a bit more of fat.

Or as example someone doing solely muscle building with high protein diet. Accroding to general prejudices, the more muscles you have, the more you seem to care for your health. While in reality the exercising and exact repeating of certain movements, simply ruin your joints from an certain exercise amount. Just as the typical high protein diets, build up muscles in theory, but unlike sportlers that really gained their muscles by using them, artificial bodybuilder muscles often are simply artificially blown up by the protein, but lack blood and energy supply, which cause them to have far more less "energy output" then "normal built" muscles. Or to explain it in pictures: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeGL70XpLZQ[/youtube] So shortly, having 20% more muscles then someone else, doesnt mean automatically being healthier or stronger then this person.

I don't think protein has much to do with anything. Like you can't magically make muscles with a high protein diet. Bodybuilders usually train for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which means the muscle cells get bigger and can hold more sarcoplasm (muscle glycogen.) However, naturally training, your body doesn't really uptake an incredible amount of protein. Think about it, a pound of chicken has 117g of protein or something, right? So a pound of human muscle would have somewhere near the same. So if you eat an extra 100g of protein a day, ala most bodybuilding nutritional recommendations, it'll just get pissed out, because nobody without drugs adds a pound of muscle a day (hell, nobody on drugs adds that much.) In truth most muscle building is determined by hormones, testosterone, growth hormone, insulin, etc, thus why steroids work so well. Protein has really not much to do with it. The reason high protein diets SEEM to work well is because most protein sources also come with hormones. IE, milk has IGF-1 and insulin (and when added by farmers, r-BGH, growth hormone!), beef naturally has estrogens, etc. That's why high protein diets "work" to build muscle, not because of the protein itself.

tl;dr, bodybuilder who arm wrestled pro arm wrestler is a roider.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2013, 11:03 pm

Schneekugel wrote:

Having a certain body image? Thats vague! what kind body image are you talking about cuz someone who is cuz up is definitely a healthy person! You cannot maintain a 6 pack and eat like crap and not exercise all the time. I have never heard of such a falicy as someone who is skinny is healthier than the next man. An anorexic person is not healthy but they are skinny!

Schneekugel wrote:
Or as example someone doing solely muscle building with high protein diet. Accroding to general prejudices, the more muscles you have, the more you seem to care for your health. While in reality the exercising and exact repeating of certain movements, simply ruin your joints from an certain exercise amount.

Whos general prejudice? Yours? Where are you getting your facts from? So because exercising injures your joints, its not healthy? and what is eating healthy and not exercising? you're using the word healthy pretty openly. YOu can be physicaly healthy and not nutritionally healthy and vice versa! But one thing that goes hand in hand is when you're cutting up. You need to have a proper diet and plenty of exercise. Proper exercise and you need to know what your doing!

Schneekugel wrote:
Just as the typical high protein diets, build up muscles in theory, but unlike sportlers that really gained their muscles by using them, artificial bodybuilder muscles often are simply artificially blown up by the protein, but lack blood and energy supply, which cause them to have far more less "energy output" then "normal built" muscles. Or to explain it in pictures: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeGL70XpLZQ[/youtube] So shortly, having 20% more muscles then someone else, doesnt mean automatically being healthier or stronger then this person.

How does one blown themselves up artificially with protien lol YOu really should do some research before you post! When you workout, your muscle fibers tear and break apart. The protein fills in those open spots. Protien is necessary to build muscle and does not artificially blow you up. its natural and permanent. energy output?? carbohydrates are a main source of energy for a workout. Complex carbs are best they break down much slower than simple carbs like white bread. but your body converts the glucose into lactic acid during activities such as anaerobic respiration. Read more here -> http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 816AAsISOZ

Im not sure where you're going with this. Not for nothing but normally people who exercise tend to eat healthy and just because you have more muscle mass doesnt make you stronger. look at bruce lee!!

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 4:39 am

amboxer21 wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:

Having a certain body image? Thats vague! what kind body image are you talking about cuz someone who is cuz up is definitely a healthy person! You cannot maintain a 6 pack and eat like crap and not exercise all the time. I have never heard of such a falicy as someone who is skinny is healthier than the next man. An anorexic person is not healthy but they are skinny!

Yes, I know. Thats why I mentioned it to be a prejudice, and negated that oppinion myself already.

Quote:
Schneekugel wrote:
Or as example someone doing solely muscle building with high protein diet. Accroding to general prejudices, the more muscles you have, the more you seem to care for your health. While in reality the exercising and exact repeating of certain movements, simply ruin your joints from an certain exercise amount.

Whos general prejudice? Yours?
If it was my prejudice, would I then call it an prejudice?
Quote:
Where are you getting your facts from? So because exercising injures your joints, its not healthy?
No, as you can read thats not what I had written. I have written: FROM AN CERTAIN EXERCISE AMOUNT ON, it ruins your joints.
Quote:
and what is eating healthy and not exercising?
What is what about eating healthy and not exercising? As long as you are asking no question about it someone eating healthy and not exercising is someone eating healthy and not exercising. Please add an question to that.
Quote:
you're using the word healthy pretty openly.
Yop, whats so horrible about it? O_o It might be weird, but when I am talking about cats, I as well use the word cats quiet often.
Quote:
You can be physicaly healthy and not nutritionally healthy and vice versa!
Nope, if you mean with physical healthy, someone having a propper shape according to general opinions, but not eating nutritionally healthy then every doctor can proof you with a blood test, that you are not healthy. Vitamins and nutrition dont get into your body by magic or exercising, you need to eat them. If you dont eat them, you lack them. Thats not healthy.
Quote:
But one thing that goes hand in hand is when you're cutting up. You need to have a proper diet and plenty of exercise. Proper exercise and you need to know what your doing!
Nowhere would I have written something else. Or do you think that doing exercises in an amount, that it damages your joints, is in any way related to "proper exercising and knowing what you do"?

Schneekugel wrote:
Quote:
Just as the typical high protein diets, build up muscles in theory, but unlike sportlers that really gained their muscles by using them, artificial bodybuilder muscles often are simply artificially blown up by the protein, but lack blood and energy supply, which cause them to have far more less "energy output" then "normal built" muscles. Or to explain it in pictures: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeGL70XpLZQ[/youtube] So shortly, having 20% more muscles then someone else, doesnt mean automatically being healthier or stronger then this person.

How does one blown themselves up artificially with protien lol YOu really should do some research before you post! When you workout, your muscle fibers tear and break apart. The protein fills in those open spots. Protien is necessary to build muscle and does not artificially blow you up. its natural and permanent. energy output?? carbohydrates are a main source of energy for a workout. Complex carbs are best they break down much slower than simple carbs like white bread. but your body converts the glucose into lactic acid during activities such as anaerobic respiration. Read more here -> http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 816AAsISOZ
Your muscles are not soly build up by protein but need as well other building materials for a propper supply, stability, ... As you mentioned yourself, the protein are one of those needed materials. But your body cells, inhabit lots of other materials as well. If you are on an high protein diet to gain muscles, then your body have tons of the needed protein material, but because of the one-sided diet many do, often lacks the other building materials. Thats what I meant with artificially blowing up. That carbs deliver the energy I know, you can see that in enough other posts. But was I talking about the carb energy itself, or about the energy supply? As you can read, I was talking about the energy supply. You are talking about the energy-material. I am talking about the supply-system that must deliver and carries that energy.

Quote:
Im not sure where you're going with this.
I dont know as well, where you are going.
Quote:
Not for nothing but normally people who exercise tend to eat healthy and just because you have more muscle mass doesnt make you stronger. look at bruce lee!!
Thats exactly what I had written and described. Thats exactly, what I told with my video. That having more muscles doesnt makes you stronger. So, if I wrote exactly that, and posted a video about exactly that, why the hell shall I look at Bruce lee to receive an knowledge, that I already must have, because elseway, I couldnt have described exactly this two posts before? O_o

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 3:31 pm

amboxer21 wrote:
Schneekugel wrote:

Actually I got a few friends who have six packs and don't exercise much at all, don't watch what they eat, and some even drink relatively often. They're just naturally skinny people. They also have the commonality of having really small appetites. My one friend who did have a six pack before working out, and after working out, he had trouble even hitting 3000 cals a day even with copious peanut butter and milk and stuff. Just didn't eat much. Of course they're 130-150lbs and don't look the least bit "jacked" with clothes on, but with clothes off, abs and veins and stuff.

For body image, it more or less comes down to calories in/out. Now health is another story, and you need to not eat trash to be healthy, but I'd say body composition more or less comes down to calories in/out. Of course, genetics, too. Some people are just gifted to keep low bodyfats without trying, just like there's random people who'll bench 300 in a couple weeks of lifting in high school or something.

Also, hey amboxer, I was way the hell wrong about carbs a while back. I eat like 400-500g a day now and I've leaned out and my performance in all things athletic has increased. Yay carbs.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Oct 2013, 10:58 am

(with awareness that this is a bumped 2006 thread)

I work out for both health and looks. Probably the looks are the most rewarding, because I get stopped by strangers and asked what "my secret" is, and that makes me feel like I'm successful at maintaining a body that many other men would want to have theirs look like. It's not something that comes naturally to me, and it's a lot of hard work (30 years at it now), and it requires maintenance and care 365 days a year in one way or the other.

For the health side of it, I feel great, and can do anything athletically that a 19-year-old can do, and that's worth a lot when many other men in their mid or late 40s like I am, are moaning and complaining about this ache and that pain, and all kinds of health problems showing up suddenly.

Charles

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 3:13 pm

This thread is probably over by now, but I'm surprised about is how so few claim they exercise in order to appear "more NT," since most of us Aspies are awkward and uncoordinated, and exercise and bodybuilding helps with that. My 2 cents.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 7:45 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
This thread is probably over by now, but I'm surprised about is how so few claim they exercise in order to appear "more NT," since most of us Aspies are awkward and uncoordinated, and exercise and bodybuilding helps with that. My 2 cents.

That's not why I started, but sometimes if I'm being lazy I will reason like you did...all vain and stuff