Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 5:48 pm

Dantac wrote:
While I know its different.. the toss looks very similar to some Judo techniques... catching the moment when the other person's inertia and balance are compromised.

In some ways, that's not far off, but there are some major differences:

1. Striking is a major part of Tai Chi Chuan, and so taking care not to be struck is very important. However, ideally, you don't strike your opponents anywhere vital. Not because it's against the rules, but because it might seriously injure them.

2. One of the things about Tai Chi Chuan is that it teaches you to lead your opponent into weakness.

Quote:
looks like foreplay :twisted:

Hot.

Edit: By the way, when it comes to the order of what's important in a fight, you have to remember that that's assuming you're learning a comprehensive martial art. For example, people argue about which is better: Shaolin Kung Fu or Tai Chi Chuan. Well, both are comprehensive. When a person who knows Shaolin Kung Fu fights someone who knows Tai Chi Chuan, it comes down less to the technique and more to the physical attributes.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 10:10 pm

MrLoony wrote:
1. Strength (meaning physical attributes, such as strength, speed, and agility)
2. Courage (meaning fighting spirit)
3. Technique (the fighting style)

And the third one is far down there. As long as the style that you use can counter the style your opponent is using (and, as long as it's not a sport martial art, it should be able to), then the only things that are really important are the first and the second.

I'd actually rate it this way:

1. Technique
2. Courage (though I agree with Dantac - if you're freezing up its a problem)
3. Strength

Like said earlier - attributes work if you have reflexes. If you freeze its obviously a problem but overall I think confidence comes more naturally when you both know you naturally have it in you and know that you have a style that works.

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 29 Jan 2011, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 10:30 pm

BigE wrote:
Nothing's going to keep you away from a knife except a gun. If you have a confrontation with an armed person with bad intentions, you're going to get cut. Your only options really are 1. Run or 2. Attack first, relentlessly and with so much force that the other person doesn't have a chance to pull a blade on you....which I think is similar to the point you made.

Absolutely. Either run, get something to use yourself, or get inside as fast as you can, make sure his hand is secured, and go right for the face with a palm, one he's struck, distracted and thinking up - attack the other hand to break it, make them drop the knife, having both occur would be ideal.

BigE wrote:
My Muay Thai teacher was also a JKD practitioner, although all the street fight stories he shared involved thai kicking attackers in the leg so hard they couldn't fight any longer.

That's one thing so many people don't know. Knees to the femoral artery, once your leg is inside their leg you can start driving in and pounding, maybe a vertical elbow stabbing into the center of the chest, you're not only up in their space and hitting agressively but they've lost their balance in the process and you have close to full control from there. Dragon kicks to the knees are great, ankle sectoring is great, kicking to one knee and then sweeping the other foot, there's so much available. This is one of the things I love about Kuntao/southern Kung Fu is the focus on all the really nasty mid-range things you can do both above and below.

domino
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2011, 4:31 pm

i want to know three types of martial arts
1) muay thai
2) jiu jitzu
3) brizilan jiu jitzu
then i want to join mixed martial arts :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2011, 11:23 pm

Here's something you guy's might enjoy. A guy named Randy Williams, his Wing Chun seems pretty solid (chain-punching aside of course):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkXYjIfnixk[/youtube]

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2011, 2:55 pm

BigE wrote:
monsterland wrote:
In my (very) limited experience with Judo, it seems to be careless about keeping the practitioner away from a concealed knife.

In general, I don't approach real-life self-defense as a fight (as in, an exchange of attacks resulting in a complete domination/submission of an opponent).

No, I approach it as a situation where I need to maximize my chances of getting out alive, even if I am in far worse physical shape than the assailant.

In that sense, I find Jeet Kune Do concepts of "immediately entering past any attack" to blend nicely with more formalized approach to similar concepts in Aikido. Enter in like lightning, stun and run away.

Nothing's going to keep you away from a knife except a gun. If you have a confrontation with an armed person with bad intentions, you're going to get cut. Your only options really are 1. Run or 2. Attack first, relentlessly and with so much force that the other person doesn't have a chance to pull a blade on you....which I think is similar to the point you made.

My Muay Thai teacher was also a JKD practitioner, although all the street fight stories he shared involved thai kicking attackers in the leg so hard they couldn't fight any longer.

We're on the same page. But I wasn't really talking about a bulletproof weapon panacea. I was talking about the basic footwork and habits the the art instills. Aikido habitually tries to limit attacker to being only able to reach you with one side, and it assumes that they may be armed. Jeet Kune Do is paranoid about "closing up" the vital arteries when you're "blasting".

Judo(at least the common, sport kind)... seems to encourage suicidal footwork that "goes in" so you can give your torso to the attacker for free stabbing practice.

It's not often possible to identify a knife. Accounts of many stabbed with a knife tell the same story - it wasn't brandished, the attacker didn't square off and make a little dance like in the movies - they just pulled it out at some point later, and the victim didn't even notice they've been stabbed.

Hence, the value of preventive footwork and positioning.

MrLoony wrote:
3. Move back when he tries to stab you and dislocate his elbow
4. Knock his arm away when he tries to stab you, grab his neck (taking care to trap his arm), and pull him to the ground
5. Any number of techniques that also work with striking blows and are taught with a martial art that doesn't depend on both fighters getting injured

Getting hit is Not A Good Thing, even if it's your arm (blocking). It's simple physics. And simple logic, when applied to weapons. You don't block a stab or a slash. You deflect it (preferably at the arm, though if you can hit the flat of the blade or the guard, that's much better than hitting the edge). If the martial art focuses on deflection rather than blocking, a knife isn't as big of a deal (especially since the extra weight slows the person down somewhat, making deflection easier).

Basic stuff for certain martial arts, especially ones that build on unarmed combat into armed combat (since the rules of Muay Thai or Judo prevent weapons, Muay Thai and Judo practitioners aren't trained to fight against weapons effectively).

Give your friend a red marker and put on a disposable T-shirt. Then ask him to try and "stab" you while you disarm him. After you disarm him, look at your T-shirt.

This exercise will open your eyes and potentially save your life.

Also, proper blocking is actually far more valuable than "deflection", "evasion", and especially "stepping back". Deflection/evasion means they will evade your deflection and deflect your evasion. And then stab you repeatedly. Stepping back means they will stab you repeatedly.

If you manage to explosively ENTER, isolate their elbow and blast your full body weight into it, they will have trouble transferring the knife to the other hand, and they can't evade the block because their balance is broken, and their wrist, no matter where it rotates, can't reach anything vital.

This looks like an extremely aggressive BLOCK. And, like everything else with knives, it is always a big chance to take, and the last resort. The first action is running... the less preferably action is using environmental weapons to extend your reach or "trap" the knife in, like your jacket or a big towel. The LEAST preferable action, when there's nothing left, is direct, explosive entry and praying you didn't mis-time it.

abaisse
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 6:16 pm

I've just begun Tai Chi Chuan at my gym. They also offer kickboxing, so I may start taking those classes too.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 8:13 pm

I used to do Wing Chun in nyc chinatown. I love it. I'm not bad and can hold my own. I also studied two types of tai chi but I prefer wing chun.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 8:56 pm

Here's a video that at least shows some of what's possible in terms of Kali knife sensitivity drills. It would be awesome if it had more Panantukan (empty hand) worked in but for what it is its still pretty decent. The karambit is a really neat weapon as well which he switches in a lot throughout the video.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWrWHaWkQcY[/youtube]

GammaGeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2011, 7:42 am

I did Chun Kuk Do, a Korean based martial arts. I had to quit because of finanical reasons, which sucks because when I would eventually earn my blackbelt, I would of recieved it from none other than Chuck Norris. I still have his code of ethics on the wall.

Recently I've been looking up kick boxing videos and doing a lot of boxing, but it's more for the workout than trying to learn how to defend myself. Still I think kickboxing is probably the coolest thing in the world, and I really wish I could afford classes.

My grandpa is a martial artist. He has a black belt in kun fu, a book on every form of martial arts and his own dojo down in the garage. When I visit him I practice a bit with him, but he's impossible to keep up with. He knows a ton of different moves, and right now he's been doing this French form of martial arts. I forget what it's called, but I do remember it involved a lot of kicking aimed at the knees and ankles.

AudibleSilence
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Feb 2011, 1:14 pm

My brother said I was scary in Brazilian Ju jutso. (Spelling?)

*The person you are trying to call isn't really the person you are trying to contact. Either hang up and try again to talk to one person while referring to another or hang up and never try to contact this person again.*

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:52 pm

Here's the current head of the Pekiti Tirsia strain of Kali, talking about his art. What I'm learning is technically Punong derivative but still, Pekiti Tirsia is Dan Inosanto's big thing and its what's in the three Bourne movies as well as Book Of Eli.

That and, for anyone who doesn't know what Kali is, its pretty much everything people like to claim about Krav Maga with more depth - its a system where it can easily take you five years to get a black belt, it includes Panantukan as its empty hand (ie. destroy the arms and fists first, punch the backs of the fists and insides of the elbows, when that's all snakey - then go center mass, all that can happen actually in less than five seconds). Krav Maga purists go on about how all the rest are people running around in pajamas, doing wildly impractical stuff, and screaming every time they through a punch in the air. I have to break it to them, they're not alone in that claim.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTGRe4KDp58[/youtube]

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Markmagnum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Apr 2011, 7:27 pm

I plan on training in Judo,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, and Muay Thai or kickboxing to become a mixed martial artist at a gym in my state.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:28 am

You know, I think I might see something here that has both a lot of practical potential and would also engage my inner geek in terms of culture and beauty of flow.

I know there are a lot of Silats out there and like Kung Fu they range from great to worthless, though the Silat Minangkabau Harimau in these two videos has a lot creds.

The first is Guru Richard De Bordes, a very well renowned instructor as well as a former presidential body guard and third world security consultant:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocaBelLtGUM[/youtube]
Additionally here are a couple guys in Italy practicing takedowns:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfF7llJxDFc&feature=related[/youtube]

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Matariki
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2011, 2:10 am

I do Muay Thai boxing, and I'm hoping to either take up BJJ or Judo as well.
Before Muay Thai, I did ITF Taekwon-do.

jcq126
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2011, 8:19 pm

I've been training in Muay Thai and compete at an Amateur level (3 wins 0 losses 0 draws). Was suppose to have my 4th fight tomorrow but the event was cancelled after 2 months of doing a fight camp for the event I was pissed off. Trained in submission grappling for 2 years also for Mixed Martial Arts purposes, but am a Thai boxer at heart.