Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2009, 12:37 am

I've been vegetarian for about two or three years. My mom served dumplings today that I thought were veggie but turned out to contain meat, and I ate a couple.

Now I feel tainted and dirty not to mention physically sick.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 1:24 am

well don't be too hard on yourself...I accidentally ate meat on several occasions during the ten years I was a vegetarian. People would even put it in stuff and then tell me it was vegetarian..Resturaunts would lie and tell me their broth was vegetarian...and then I would find a piece of chicken skin floating in it..this was in the 90's though, when vegetarianism was a little more unheard of....

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 1:25 am

I hope that you start feeling better, soon. I feel the same way, if I eat mushrooms. Maybe in the future, you can ask if a particular dish has meat in it, like I ask if something contains mushrooms.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 1:31 am

I did that once. It was really bad at the time for me but now it does not matter much. Just get over it, you will eventually.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 2:11 am

I know how you feel I ate a brockley

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 2:25 am

The solution? Build a meat detector. If something contains considerable animal cells, then it is meat and you do not eat it.

I realize it sounds absurd and sarcastic, but I'm entirely serious on this matter. It's far too easy to accidently eat meat or animal products (if you're a vegan). Our society just doesn't like people who stick out, and vegetarians do that.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 7:49 am

Friskeygirl wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brockley 8O

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 8:25 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Friskeygirl wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brockley 8O

I'd be surprised if she hasn't got indigestion.

RICKY5
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 1:56 am

Julia_the_Great wrote:
I've been vegetarian for about two or three years. My mom served dumplings today that I thought were veggie but turned out to contain meat, and I ate a couple.

Accidents do happen. Since you are eating for ethical reasons, take comfort in the fact that at every meal an animal did not have to die for you to eat.

Also, if you believe in anthropogenic global warming, then your carbon footprint has dropped a lot by not eating meat.

You are also doing good things for the water supply as well considering that it takes about 2000 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat at the grocery store.

Just don't beat yourself up about it.

Captain_Kirk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2010, 4:37 pm

You got sick from eating meat? Is that why you are vegetarian? Geez, no wonder. As for feeling tainted...??? You didn't ask for meat, so why should you feel tainted? If I had sex with a minor, and nobody ever told me she was a minor, I wouldn't feel tainted, because I didn't know. Now, if she told me...I would feel very dirty, even though I didn't intentionally do it. So I understand, but it's not your fault. So don't beat yourself up.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2010, 7:30 pm

Julia_the_Great wrote:

Ughhhh... I hate it when that happens. My mother in law is awful for giving us meat ridden food while promising there is no meat in it. I do not understand how she can not think chicken broth is a meat product... I feel bad for refusing all of her food now, but I cannot very well go around sick because she refuses to understand that certain things really are meat products. It is just not worth it to me.

(I wanted to edit this as it sounded to me like I thought your mom was a meat sneaker like my mother in law... I do not think that... I just saw your title in the new posts and all I could think of was my mother in law. I just wanted to try to clarify)

I would not worry about feeling tainted. I am with Captain_Kirk there... it is not like you knew about it before and you did stop when you found out. If they do not tell you it was there, how would you know? It is not like you just suddenly decided to go veg on them or something. As for the physical part of it, I do hope you feel better soon. That meat sick is not fun at all.

Shiznown
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2010, 1:10 pm

Even the plants, that you eat contain life. It has been shown, that plants can even feel. So, when you eat plants you are still eating something living. That is something to think about. Also, it wasn't your fault don't worry about it. Also, I don't buy that carbon footprint BS. The Earth goes through cycles. I believe global warming is real, just not caused by humans. I think this whole global warming pandemic is used as an excuse for the government to tax us on pretty much everything in the future, especially food.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 11:13 am

For every animal you don't eat, I will eat three.

AspiRob
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2010, 3:03 am

Julia_the_Great wrote:

Get over it. You might not like to eat meat but you are quite capable of digesting it. I have been doing so all my life and I am still here.

More to the point, eating a little meat has probably improved the quality of your diet. If you don't believe me, go down to your local gym and ask some of the really fit and strong people if they are vegetarians. I can guarantee you that none of them will be. On the other hand, I have yet to meet a healthy-looking vegetarian.

As the saying goes, "Build a bridge and get over it".

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 11:41 am

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 12:54 pm

Get 'em etten and shurrup. :P