Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jan 2010, 7:49 am

Thanks for the article. Generally I've never gone to a "sit down" restaurant by myself. For one thing I'm a very frugal consumer and don't like to eat at places where there are tip-expecting servers. This also explains why I usually "dine out" at the fast food chains instead of full-service eateries. A few times I've needed to eat out during the night or on a holliday (usually due to traveling), thus forcing myself to settle for one of those places with waitstaff, and each of those times I've had to be waited on while alone I've always sat at a counter or bar like the article suggests and never taken a "table for one". Also, in the area I live a number of folks consider it "rude" for one person to tie-up a table or booth during busy times in restaurants. Some establishments even impose minimal seating requirements.

21 Jan 2010, 11:48 am

strapshoechris wrote:
For one thing I'm a very frugal consumer and don't like to eat at places where there are tip-expecting servers.

Do you tip?

I've sometimes wondered if aspies tend to be stiffs. I always tip at least 20%. When I get the bill I will multiply the total by 1.2 and then round it up to the next half or whole dollar. I work for Domino's as a driver and the thing I hate most about the job is being stiffed. I had one customer that I would occasionally deliver to but would never tip, it made me angry to the point that I would throw stuff around in my car once I got back in it. He passed away about a year ago, and then shortly after I read in a newspaper article about him that he had asperger's. I rely on tips for income, but we're paid less than minimum wage. sometimes you feel like you want to send your bills to stiff for them to pay so they would know how I feel about, but I would honestly never do that.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jan 2010, 1:09 pm

Again, I'm very frugal, and will almost always eat out at a "fast food" to avoid the extra expense of a tip. However if I MUST dine in a full-service restaurant where gratuities are expected, I generally only tip the 8% that the IRS estimates to be the average portion of the bill (pryor to tax) given as a tip in the U.S. Now IF the server has really gone out of the way for me (I.E. bending house rules for my benefit), I will tip between 15 and 20 percent. A waiter or waitress has to be totally rude or obnoxious for me to totally stiff them. The last such instance I can remember was at a restaurant where I was dining with my roomate and asked the waitress to hold the pickles, onions, and mayo from a burger I ordered. She replied, "You don't know what's good". That blew it for her. She got nothing, not even a penny.
In addition to insisting on fast food over "sit down", I also avoid tipping by calling and ordering my pizzas for carry-out and not delivery. Sorry, but I generally spend less in gas money than I would on a tip to the delivery boy or girl. Speaking of Domino's, they actually have one location near where my dad lives where you can eat your pizza right on the premisis. So does the nearby Papa John's in that city.

Rups
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2010, 1:59 pm

I love eating out...And I shamelessly eat out alone. It's one of the things that make my life worth-wile, actually. I have a few tricks that might be of interest.
I live in Belgium, Europe and tipping is not expected here. I usually tip about 10% anyway (if I am treated well). This ensures I will be treated even better if I go back to the same place. I have been to the USA and found the tipping system confusing:( you don't want to be rude, but you don't want to pay too much, hmm?)
take a table in a quiet corner with a good view and watch people. It's fun!
I usually go early. Native Belgians eat late (around 21:00 hours) but I am a Dutch immigrant and I like eating early. Restaurant keepers like customers who come early before the rush and don't stick around long.
I try out every new cuisine that comes to town. But before I go I try google and wikipedia to find out what it's all about and what I should try so I won't have to ask too much to the waiters.
I find, very rarely fortunately, that a single eater is not so welcome, or looked at with pity. If that happens, I don't tip and never go back. That is very rare though, and I have many great experiences!

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jan 2010, 8:41 am

Sounds like the Belgians are way more laid back. Here in the Denver area of the U.S, most upscale eateries do "reserve the right to restrict table seating to parties of two or more during busy times". Of course tips are "king" in these parts and telling the seater that you're dining with your friend Alex or even Abe would likely get you a table anyway, once you show their picture...

gypsyRN
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2010, 12:29 pm

strapshoechris wrote:
Again, I'm very frugal, and will almost always eat out at a "fast food" to avoid the extra expense of a tip. However if I MUST dine in a full-service restaurant where gratuities are expected, I generally only tip the 8% that the IRS estimates to be the average portion of the bill (pryor to tax) given as a tip in the U.S. Now IF the server has really gone out of the way for me (I.E. bending house rules for my benefit), I will tip between 15 and 20 percent. A waiter or waitress has to be totally rude or obnoxious for me to totally stiff them.

Wow...that's really crappy. I was a server for years, and it always nagged at me when I received less than 17-20% as a tip, because that is a signal that I didn't do a good job for that person. I always tried to make everyone's experience great and fix any problem quickly.

I've always thought that if you can't afford to tip, you are too poor to go out to eat. Servers make $2.13/hour. Can you live off that? They NEED the tips to pay their bills. That is their job, and the hourly pay they receive isn't even enough to cover their taxes.

You shouldn't expect a server to steal something from the establishment for you in order for you to give them a normal tip.

And yes, I have stiffed servers who have done an absolutely terrible job.

As a server, I have also waited on families who apologized when they were seated, and told me that they wouldn't have enough money to leave me a very big tip (usually traveling to a funeral or something, and eating out was an unfortunate unplanned expense). I happily gave them great service.

Also, I go out to eat myself when I travel fairly often. I generally enjoy it, but I tend not to eat at the busiest times either just due to my work schedule.

Last edited by gypsyRN on 23 Jan 2010, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jan 2010, 7:06 pm

Now you know why I try to eat out only at fast foods. I eat at "sit-down" service restaurants so rarely I bet I don't tip over $20 annually.
However at the bar where I drink every Sat. evening, I always throw the bartender a dollar when I leave. 52 Saturdays a year means $52 out in tips. Again, I opt for "self-service" wherever and whenever possible. It's just the way I am.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2010, 4:09 am

I don't go to resturants much but when I do I haven't had a problem with sitting alone.

I live in Australia and tipping is not a common practice.