Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 5:43 pm

I might have a mild dose of it, I don't know. I have the salt cravings and the tendency to hypoglycemia. My mom and my friend have both told me to get it seen to, but I'm too lazy. :D

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 5:49 pm

I also have this one

Quote:
You feel more awake, alert and energetic after 6PM than you do all day.

It's surely only mild, though. Not gonna kill me. :)

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 7:22 pm

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
The only time I have ever fainted was because of this. I stood up, walked to the kitchen, my eyes clouded over and I woke up on the floor. It's not instant for me, I get at least a few steps before I feel it coming on. If it is instant, I just sit back down and wait a couple seconds for it to pass. Otherwise, it depends on what I'm experiencing. Usually I just feel a little dizzy so I just stand still and hold on to something, like a wall or a shelf. If my eyes start clouding over (blackness comes in from the sides of my eyes, moving towards my nose), I fall to a crouch and open my eyes wide (not sure if the wide eyes help, but it's just what I've always done) and wait for the clouds to disappear. They've never clouded over completely since the time I fainted from it, it's why I open them wide, it feels like the clouds have just a little further to go if my eyes are open a little more so I have a better chance of not passing out. Stupid, I know, but whatever.

If any of you feel like laughing about the situation, one of my favourite comedians said this: "I don't do drugs. If I want a rush I just get out of a chair when I'm not expecting it." Made me laugh quite hard. It was Dylan Moran, if you wanted to know.

I had this exact same experience when I was a teen- my mom really freaked out. I still get the cloudy , closing tunnel sometimes, and I have been blind for a second upon standing. I have taught myself to stand up carefully so that it isnt such a shock to my blood pressure.

Sometimes when I go to the doctor they look at me funny and ask if I am feeling OK because my blood pressure is so low. They have given me IV fluids a couple of times when I went in for something unrelated!

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2010, 1:14 am

Avarice wrote:
Medical Definition: http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7671

Short Version: Drop in blood pressure as you stand up.

I haven't been to a doctor about it but it's impossible to miss when you have it. I noticed around a year ago that when I stood up I would get so dizzy that I would lose vision, I would also stumble around the room. It's hard to explain the feeling, it's as if I'm only half consicious while it happens. It seems to get worse as time goes on, I hit my head on a door after stumbling out of the lounge room today. It's not a particularly bad condition, but I do wonder if I will ever actually pass out because of it, and that's rather worrying.

Does anybody else suffer this? If so, do you have any strategies to manage the symptoms and prevent fainting?

Yup. I get this as well and I've had it for as long as I can remember.

If I get up too quickly from lying down, I am seriously dizzy and can sometimes even black out. I've fainted a few times and the number of times I've walked into walls, furniture, doors, or bannisters from moving too quickly in a dizzy state is not even funny. I once knocked myself out walking into the end of my bedroom door that was half open and I didn't even see it.

My strategy has been to make sure I take time after getting up to center and balance myself before I attempt to move around, otherwise things are all out of proportion and my sense of myself in the space is out of whack. So basically, patience...move slowly.

I also recently started doing yoga. I don't know if that will help this, but if it does, it would be swell :)

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 8:55 am

crocus wrote:
Avarice wrote:
Medical Definition: http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7671

Short Version: Drop in blood pressure as you stand up.

I haven't been to a doctor about it but it's impossible to miss when you have it. I noticed around a year ago that when I stood up I would get so dizzy that I would lose vision, I would also stumble around the room. It's hard to explain the feeling, it's as if I'm only half consicious while it happens. It seems to get worse as time goes on, I hit my head on a door after stumbling out of the lounge room today. It's not a particularly bad condition, but I do wonder if I will ever actually pass out because of it, and that's rather worrying.

Does anybody else suffer this? If so, do you have any strategies to manage the symptoms and prevent fainting?

Yup. I get this as well and I've had it for as long as I can remember.

If I get up too quickly from lying down, I am seriously dizzy and can sometimes even black out. I've fainted a few times and the number of times I've walked into walls, furniture, doors, or bannisters from moving too quickly in a dizzy state is not even funny. I once knocked myself out walking into the end of my bedroom door that was half open and I didn't even see it.

My strategy has been to make sure I take time after getting up to center and balance myself before I attempt to move around, otherwise things are all out of proportion and my sense of myself in the space is out of whack. So basically, patience...move slowly.

I also recently started doing yoga. I don't know if that will help this, but if it does, it would be swell :)

Thanks for the advice. Putting it into action is hard though. It only happens when I don't think it will. It's almost as if when I think about it my body sends more blood to the brain to compensate. By the time it happens it's too late, I can't think at all.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 9:15 am

Also, for those who have it....when getting out of the bath ALWAYS let the water down before you stand up, and get up slowly.

Don't do what I did, someone might ACTUALLY drown.

crocus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2010, 4:24 pm

Avarice wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Putting it into action is hard though. It only happens when I don't think it will. It's almost as if when I think about it my body sends more blood to the brain to compensate. By the time it happens it's too late, I can't think at all.

Good point about when you're not thinking about it. That's so true. It happens most often for me, when I'm not present in the physical moment and in my body. I'm thinking ahead what I want to do and wham.

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Also, for those who have it....when getting out of the bath ALWAYS let the water down before you stand up, and get up slowly.

Don't do what I did, someone might ACTUALLY drown.

That's a really good pointer. I've actually fainted a few times getting too quickly out of a hot bath or shower. The temperature differential hits me like a brick.

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2010, 6:35 am

Yes, yes. I thought I was literally the only one. I've been getting it often lately. I think it may have to do with my medications, but I've been getting it often lately, regardless of how fast I stand up. And my vitamin levels are fine, and I'm eating fine, so it isn't that. My BP is usually semi-low "normal" (100-105/70-75).

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 9:30 am

Hmm... It seems to come in degrees. Sometimes it hits slightly, I get dizzy and everything goes blurry OR I pretty much faint, go blind, feel "pins and needles" and collapse. It's interesting to watch, but still worrying.

I wonder if it has anything to do with weight, I'm underweight and it's a big problem for me. I have a friend who's also underweight and he gets it too... Maybe not.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 1:23 pm

I am near underweight, though I eat plenty. Fast metabolism, I guess. I don't think it's malabsorption. I am near immune to the cold, which is a sign of fast metabolism.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2010, 2:02 pm

I don't think it's anything to do with weight because I'm nowhere near underweight. Unless it doesn't happen to anyone who's at a normal, healthy weight. If that's the case then I would agree and say it's related to weight, both under and over.

JCpatriots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2010, 2:19 pm

It has nothing to do with weight. I'm 6'1" 190 lbs, and I get postural hypotension often. :/