Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2010, 12:28 pm

When i was a child, i was thrilled with all kinds of martial arts. When i saw movies that had kung-fu, karate or other Japanese or Chinese martial arts in it then i got really excited. I went outside and tried to imitate their awesome moves. I also played on my own and pretended to be a ninja. I run around the house or outside in the garden. I even made a katana-like sword out of wood and i played around with it.

But now i am not much of a child anymore, but inside i still feel like a child. I still get excited over those fighting styles. I have seen Bruce Lee movies and think they are awesome. I even found out that through learning (for example)karate a person could become more confident and that it is about peace and harmony, finding the true self and not to bring violence. That one could even improve social skills and manage anxiety.

Then i thought of myself: I am scared of strangers, i have high anxiety, also have quite poor social skills. I rarely talk to others at school. I never vent anger on other people. I am extremely peaceful. As i was younger i loved PE classes at school, but i was always full of anxiety and scared of others. But now as a teenager i became depressed and almost lost the will to live. I haven't done any big physical exercises. I do not take part of school PE class. I can't go to change clothes, because i have many scars of self injure.

I have a chance to learn kyokushinkai karate. Unfortunately i thought that as i am scared of strangers, also my social skills are low. I usually don't even know what to say to people. Maybe i could not manage karate. What if i would become so scared that i simply cannot function, because there are others around? At school i almost can't function. I am like a mute statue. So i think it would be the same when learning karate.
It has always been my dream to learn some martial arts, like karate.

I see it as a way to improve myself and become independent. But i am scared. I also know that before going to learn it i should be physically fine so i won't injure myself through exercise.

Is it possible for a person with aspergers to study karate? Has any of you had similar anxiety or social problems and have you learned karate? If so, did you do well, or did you have problems with it? Are people learning karate forced to take part in competitions or tournaments?

(I know my english is bad and i am sorry for that) :rambo:

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2010, 1:23 pm

I took karate at University. It was one of my fav classes. I actually did pretty well, I probably would have done better if I wasn't so anxious. But since it is basically a solo sport I wasn't as anxious as when I took a soccor class, a couple years before. My husband also took Karate and did well. Unfortunately both of us let it slip due to life getting in the way. But with interest and dedication (which you certainly have!) anyone, Aspie or not, could do quite well :) I found that when I told myself that everyone else is doing the exact thing I was I felt less anxious. In particular I had issues with yelling out when doing my katas. But once I grasped the idea that it was expected and everyone was doing it (and I wouldn't pass w/o doing so, lol) I was able to do it. Sounds to me like you have drive! You could really do well I bet. And it would give you purpose. I would totally give it a try.

Also, no, you should not be forced to compete. If the studio or Dojo is focused on that then they are missing the point. Competing is fine IF you want to- but Karate should be about self-control and defending yourself. Tournaments are just there for those who feel like competing. However, some studios do focus on it and I have found that they focus on "showy" moves and trying to feel superior to others (instead of preaching pacifism and patience and a good defense).

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2010, 4:15 pm

It was the only sport I excelled at, especially with the intense
special interest in it that you seem to have also, and when I
took it, the school agreed to give me PE credit for it even
though it was not a school course (as an autism
accomodation). I was 15 when I started and the rules about
that probably have changed as far as credits go, but I do
recommend it because (or if) most of the training is NOT
sparring but exercise, practicing defense blocking moves
and counter-"attack" (wrong words) moves like punches
and kicks and chops and another kind of hand move I
don't remember what it's called, and kata sequences
of moves and one-on-one precise non-contact practice
of move combinations ... all that training is good for
coordination and improving confidence in your body.
Eventually sparring is when you are ready for practicing
fighting with another person but its not supposed to
hurt, just make contact. Not supposed to win by beating
up the other person.

In the movie The Karate Kid, well it is not like
"wax on wax off", but for you it shouldn't be
like the Cobra Khans Dojo either in that movie,
because there are "extreme fighting(?)" clubs and
Karate schools that do the kinds of things like that,
which you either don't want or aren't ready for if you do.

Martial arts training is very good for aspies IMO.
(Not as a team sport though.)
The practicing of moves is like a first step toward
having body language, (if that is as much as an
issue as it was for me) in my opinion because it
increases awareness of your body, which as
a psychologist once told me...
It is not normal for human beings to live in their
head... your body is also you too. (If that is relevant to you.)

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

18 Apr 2010, 4:26 pm

I think it is worth the effort. I took a karate class for a year or two as a teenager and I enjoyed it. You may want to consider private lessons if social anxiety is too big a obstacle for you. You would have one-on-one training with the instructor. You could then move on to class settings once you built up your skill level and confidence. I am really into the idea of martial arts too, and am tempted to join a tae kwon do class (the nearest is an hour away from my home), but I have to get a higher fitness level first.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2010, 12:30 am

Yes. All those social things make me anxious. This yelling out when doing katas is definitely one thing that makes me horribly anxious that i'd like to avoid everything. I guess i really should think that everyone else is doing the same. I was bullied at school when i was younger. I have a man-like voice and it is very quiet so that makes me even more anxious.
I see karate as a way out of my depressing life. I hope it works. I will decide if i want to take part of karate when i turn 19. Right now i have other matters to take care of.
Thank you all for describing your experiences. They help quite alot. :)

cmate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2010, 11:31 am

I think it depends on the age - young children might have an issue being interested in it, or might be turned off by the structure / rules. But, once you get past that, I think it is great - I have taken martial arts for my whole life basically. I think about it this way -- basketball, baseball, football, etc. all require some specific skills - you have to throw the ball through the hole, or catch the small ball, etc.

But martial arts is easier -- it is not very difficult to throw a punch or a kick. You can 'succeed' at the sport of martial arts by simply throwing your first/arm out in front of you and yelling. Then hopefully by sticking with it, over time the kid learns to move faster, more precise, discipline, etc.

skonamis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2010, 4:38 am

I am going to ask my sister and cousin if they also would like to improve their life by studying karate. I would be more successful when i would have my friends next to me. i feel brave then. I seem to the kind of a person who needs friends for support. :rambo:

cmate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2010, 6:17 am

Yes, great idea to find friends/family willing to do it with you / help motivate!
Do not worry though if you have to go it alone, everyone coming in at the first belt have no idea what they are doing, so you are all in the same boat.

Cryforthemoon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2010, 10:07 pm

The only problem you are going to run into with martial arts is if you do any sparring and you are not good at reading people. Other then that it's easy to pick up. You are tought one step at a time and you take it at you're own speed. I don't think you will ever see any Aspie people in UFC. You have to be really good at knowing what the other person is going to pull and and when.

I know from taking karate sparring is where I would get beat.

forestg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2010, 5:14 pm

i like karate, i'm first dan black belt, theres another aspie whos a second dan ju jitsu there

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2010, 4:25 am

Cryforthemoon wrote:
The only problem you are going to run into with martial arts is if you do any sparring and you are not good at reading people. Other then that it's easy to pick up. You are tought one step at a time and you take it at you're own speed. I don't think you will ever see any Aspie people in UFC. You have to be really good at knowing what the other person is going to pull and and when.

I know from taking karate sparring is where I would get beat.

I'm not a karate practitioner, but a martial artist. Most people aren't good at reading people in the fight sense. In fact day to day empathy can work at cross purposes to the objective during sparing. Fighting is about reactions, some people are inherently better at that but it is by no means average. You can improve slowly from experience, and that is what sparring is for. Even if you are really in touch with your opponent if you don't have the coordination to do anything about it that is moot. Martial arts and other physical activities can be like a workout for the brain over time.

UFC is a discipline in it own right, it has rules a regulation but that is alight, so does boxing. There is a magnitude of approaches to it; some people competing are just brawlers using brute force. You might have seen that clip where two people know each other out at the same time. Obviously that is no way to fight, but it just goes to so it takes all sorts.

This guy is talking about traditional karate anyway, so I wouldn't speculate why he wants to do it.