Does Anyone do Kobudo or use Nunchucks?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 2:59 pm

I did Kobudo (working with traditional Japanese and Okinawan weapons) at a martial arts club for about 6 years, mainly practising with Nunchucks, Sai, Tonfa, Jo staff, and we regulrly encorperated Iaido katas with the Katana. I was wondering if anyone else had done Kobudo before, or even heard of it. And if anyone just likes Nunchucks too.

Parasaurolophuscolobus. Parasaurcolobus. Colobusaurolophus.
....And Nunchucks are my friends.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 3:03 pm

make sure that the chain holding the two nunchucks does not snap. I heard of a case where the chain snapped and one of the nunchucks went wizzing off at high speed into a light fitting.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 3:12 pm

That's happened to me too many times. It's usually because the ball bearings keeping the chain in place in the socket pop out, (it happened with my favourite pair, which were also my first :cry:) or the string snaps. It happened to me in college once and it nearly smashed a window. That would have taken some explaining....

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Feb 2011, 1:20 pm

My wife is a Nunchucks artist. She's also a brown belt, and learned the Nunchucks from a real pro. I'm afraid of them, since I'm a little clumsy sometimes, and we have a lot of glass and breakables in the house 8O . She showed me a few moves, and it's something you really have to practice at...

Charles

tangomike
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 12:38 am

arnt nunchucks what okinawan farmers used to flail down their wheat with?

rabbitears
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2011, 11:04 am

That's what they were apparently originally used for. A lot of Kobudo weaponry is apparently based on fuedel Japanese and Okinawan farming tools. Probably because the peasants didn't have proper weapons of their own, so they improvised.