Hate 'em! 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
I admit it - I abuse them! 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
They're Alright 16%  16%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 19

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Mar 2011, 9:38 pm

I had take a pain killer today, and now I feel ill; nauseous, weak and foggy brained. All this in exchange for having a minimal effect on the pain. I wish there was something I could take for pain that didn't exact such a nefarious exchange! I know lots of people who like pain killers even abuse them. But not me!

k2magic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2011, 10:35 pm

i dont like drugs in general mostly from being on them for so long and dealing with all the crappy side effects :(

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 10:52 pm

I hate them as they do nothing at all.
But then no other method of dealing with pain seems to work for me either.

I get 'attacks' (everything points to these actually being minor-strokes, just waiting for NHS GP's to catch up to this idea) and I also get headaches, migraines and neck pains quite often too - nothing works any more, with the exception of one medication for migraines which doesn't so much kill the pain as it sends me into a state that feels very similar to my 'attacks'...cure worse than the illness in other words.

I take asprin all the time in a desperate attempt to prevent attacks...I also take painkillers whenever a headache strikes as I'm so petrified of having an 'attack' - they do genuinely put my life at risk and I swear have done long-term damage to my brain - but last year my mother ended up in hospital for some sort of ulcer caused by taking too many painkillers, so that freaks me out. I worry about the idea that they can make things progressively worse or you can develop a sort of immunity to their effects, the sort of painkillers I use are not addictive and in theory shouldn't make things worse...but I still don't like the idea of being so dependent on painkillers.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:42 am

They make me weak and tired, which sucks, but which is better than being in excruciating pain.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Mar 2011, 1:25 pm

To me, the effects of pain killers (Rx type pills) are far worse than sustaining the pain. I'm lucky that pain isn't a big problem for me, as I have a super-high pain threshold. Only once in my life I was given a heavy pain drug (percocet, if I recall), and it did NOT DIDDLY SH*T for the pain, and it caused me a week of sleep problems and depression, and other horrible things to cope with along with the unabated pain of the tooth abscess for which it was prescribed. I only took the one dose, and never touched pain pills again in the 15 years since.

With that said, Advil to me is a miracle drug. No side effects, and it has stopped or mitigated the worst pain incidents I've had to go through, including migraine headaches (if I catch it in time when the opthalmic migraine first shows up before the headache comes), and tooth aches, joint & muscle pain & injuries. Nothing else works, and I just hope nobody ever gives me a pain med if I'm in an accident or anything, where I can't be asked.

Charles

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 1:31 pm

I'm at that age where my body's beginning to break down, so everyday it's something. if it's not one thing it's another and I've been through so much pain in my life, that I'm sick of it. You really don't grow accustomed to pain. It just wears you down. It's just more stress for your body to endure, and that in turn can make healing longer and trigger other illness. So alleviating pain is a good and healthy thing to want.

I take Tramadol for some of my chronic types of pain. I have a bad ankle--from a horseback riding accident when I was 13-- that can cause pain in my knee and hip sometimes. I have back pain from time to time too. Tramadol helps with that. I have to take half a pill though, because a whole pill makes me dizzy. But Tramadol is the strongest I'll take. A lot of RX pain killers are too much for me.

Mostly I'll take OTC pain killers--Advil, Tylenol and aspirin. Aspirin's great for sore muscles and other end-of-a-hard-day pain. Advil is good for sinus headaches and joint pain. Tylenol for stress headaches. Advil plus aspirin for migraines. Two Advil, one Tylenol plus Diet Coke for bad menstrual cramps.

I wish I didn't have to rely on pain killers so much. But in truth I am miserable without them.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Mar 2011, 2:12 pm

I read somewhere that ginseng helps with chronic pain. It supposedly helps with circulation, and helping the body flush out the all the debris that collects in the bloodstream when we are in pain.

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2011, 2:45 pm

What type of pain killers are you taking? The stronger ones are more likely to cause side effects, though some people get weird hypersensitivity reactions even from over the counter pain killers.

I rely on ibuprofen for cramps. Don't know what I'd do without it. Probably :wall:

ASPiXiE
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2011, 3:37 pm

My dad's allergic to aspirin so I've always been advised not to take it in case I am too; I seem to have inherited a lot of other traits from him. Paracetamol and ibuprofen do absolutely nothing for me (I once took 5 paracetamol in a fit of frustration and absolutely nothing happened >=[ ) and I'm pretty sure the only other ones I could get are illegal, at least without a prescription - morphine and heroin and such. I have a really high pain threshold though; I used to put weight on broken legs when apparently I should have been given painkillers. Never bothered me.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Mar 2011, 4:59 pm

chinatown wrote:
What type of pain killers are you taking? The stronger ones are more likely to cause side effects, though some people get weird hypersensitivity reactions even from over the counter pain killers.

I rely on ibuprofen for cramps. Don't know what I'd do without it. Probably :wall:

I have taken Vicodan, after having a tooth pulled, and for extremely bad back pain. Also I have taken something called Roxocet after a severe kidney pain episode. Once a rheumatologist had me on Ultram, which turned out to be loaded with caffeine, and prevented me from sleeping. I seem to get really weak from these types of medicines, as well as depressed, and my cognitive skills get really snowed under. As for pain, it's anybody's guess if these meds will actually relieve it. Some people like to get high on this stuff. Me, I prefer to know that if I am in a good mood, it wasn't chemically induced.

And oh, yes. The nausea and intense itching are some other things I don't fancy. :x

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 5:26 pm

I admit, I'm an abuser. I'm not addicted. I just like the effect it gives me so if that's abuse...

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:43 pm

If people use these types of things (other medications included) all the time i think it may cause problems for future generations.

Personally I'd rather stay hydrated to avoid lots of pains and if i get ill, smoke some weed.

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 7:23 pm

I got prescription for naproxen but i read it can cause ulcers and such if i dont use it after i eat first. So, of course i dont take it most of the time out of fear of having my stomach melted out from the inside.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Mar 2011, 8:02 pm

When you have chronic pain, it is almost inevitable that you must take pain killers on occasion. Allowing pain to go on can cause damage. But since some of the meds can cause damage, too, it's like being between a rock and a hard place. I try to restrict my use of these types of medications to when the pain is unbearable. Usually I have some kind of pain going on, but I ignore it if I can.

rabbit90
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2011, 1:02 am

I love killing pain and painful killers

Hanson
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Mar 2011, 1:44 pm

They're fine with me, I don't mind getting some when I f.ex get my teeth drilled.