Do you exercise regularly? :D
Yes 76%  76%  [ 45 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 59

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:11 am

OK, so I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for me... looks like I'll be relocating to a new area starting this summer (Southern California), and I'd really like to get involved with some sort of exercise. I keep hearing about the benefits and I agree that I probably need to be more physically fit in general.

My main concerns are that I'm not always up to socializing. Sometimes I can handle it, but sometimes I can't. I don't want my exercise (which is supposed to help with stress relief for one thing) to be dependent on that. I'm concerned it'll just add to the list of "Reasons why I don't exercise."

On the other hand, it'd be nice to take a class of some sort so that I actually learn something. Plus, there's the whole bit that I am less likely to get hurt while under someone's supervision.

For the record, I've tried doing some yoga (though I have trouble sustaining an interest over the long term). In the past, I used to do horseback riding and tennis, but I'm not doing anything at the moment besides lots of walking.

I'd really like to get into martial arts, but once again, the social aspect makes me a little anxious. I tried learning kung fu at one point, but I had trouble keeping up with the rest of the class. I seemed to learn at a slower rate and it was harder for me to understand what to do. Similarly, the idea of being in a room full of smelly, sweaty people isn't my idea of appealing. xD

OK, well, I know I probably come off as a bit negative... but the interest is genuine. :D I'd be really happy to find something that works for me. That way I can be happy and healthy and all that good stuff.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
To make this a little easier, I also wanted to add a new question...

Do you exercise regularly? :) If so, what do you do to stay physically fit?

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:17 am

Should this be in the Health subforum, or are you looking for a correlation between people with ASDs and exercise?

To answer the question, though, I usually walk or run a bit for exercise. I live near Stone Mountain so I usually walk up that when I feel the need to exercise. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:19 am

jmnixon95 wrote:
Should this be in the Health subforum, or are you looking for a correlation between people with ASDs and exercise?

To answer the question, though, I usually walk or run a bit for exercise. I live near Stone Mountain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Mountain) so I usually walk up that when I feel the need to exercise.

I didn't realize there was an exercise forum. :oops: Should I ask for the topic to be moved?

And that's neat. :D I used to go for walks a lot as a kid, but I've lived in larger cities now for awhile. More people, less nature.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:20 am

I cycle a bit. Bodyweight exercises at home. Aikido is my social workout.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:24 am

Regular exercise is my primary form of stress relief.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:26 am

Moog wrote:

Hmm... I'll have a bike again when I get to Cali again. Maybe I can try that again.

As for bodyweight exercises, do you mean just weights and things? Or do you mean exercises like sit-ups and push-ups and the like?

I always thought Aikido sounded interesting. How do you like it?

And I'm realizing now that I've been too focused on doing 'one' single thing. I could always just pick and choose a variety of exercises. :oops: Doesn't have to be all or nothing.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:27 am

wavefreak58 wrote:

What do you do for your exercise usually? Do you surf? :)

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:52 am

syrella wrote:
Moog wrote:

Hmm... I'll have a bike again when I get to Cali again. Maybe I can try that again.

I like it!

Quote:
As for bodyweight exercises, do you mean just weights and things? Or do you mean exercises like sit-ups and push-ups and the like?

I do lift weights now and then, just to change things up, but mostly I prefer, yes, those kind of exercises.

Quote:
I always thought Aikido sounded interesting. How do you like it?

Actually, I think it's awesome! It is social, but there is a component of it that is about relaxing (that's an essential part of it, really). I find the people at the group here are quite friendly. I'm fine as long as we're communicating over the practice, but not so comfortable at the end when things move into a more social mode.

Quote:
And I'm realizing now that I've been too focused on doing 'one' single thing. I could always just pick and choose a variety of exercises. :oops: Doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I think that's a good idea... bit of cardio, bit of strength training, bit of flexibility, bit of martial arts. etc.

Superfly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2011, 7:32 am

I run. 5 days a week, adding up to about 30 miles a week on average.

I do also do yoga 2-4 times a week, but struggle to keep motivated to go on. Twice a week in a group setting, the other times at home.

Neither is particularly social. There's very little interaction in the yoga groups, even accounting for the fact that I am one only guy in one of the groups. I dont see the women talking among themself much either either before and after the exercise. I do run alone 95% of the time, the exception being monthy races. I've learned to recognise a few faces at the races, but havent really talked much with people there either. Might try joining a running group in the summer, we'll see.

I'm tempted to try tai chi as a kinda intermedia form between yoga and martial arts.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 9:05 am

syrella wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

What do you do for your exercise usually? Do you surf? :)

During the winter, marshal arts and some yoga. Spring to fall, other things, including surfing. If I lived closer to the coast, I would surf year round.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 1:29 pm

I go for my walks when it's nice out and not too cold.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 1:37 pm

I was into health and fitness for a while...although my primary interest was in the link between nutrition and mental health (ie depression...some studies suggest that EFA's can be more effective against depression than both anti depressants and placebos for example) but did used to do physical exercise as well. I used to like to balance my work outs between flexibility, strength training and aerobic exercise for all round fitness (so Dance and Step Aerobics, Yoga and weights for example).

Lately most of my interest has been in Art so my exercise routine has been a bit ignored lol. Although if I start seeing my work outs as a form of art again I expect I can bring back my interest in it (remodelling my body to the shape I want it to be...my body being the canvas and the exercise being the tools of the trade so to speak etc).

Im odd lol

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:04 pm

If you consider moving a heavy motorbike around, excercise, then yeas I excercise. If no, then I don't.

And I seem to be doing pretty well without excercise. I'm as happy as a kitten in a smitten mitten. lol.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:09 pm

I bike on the trails around where I live. Of course, I only do that when it's not too hot and not too cold and not raining. I imagine there are a lot more nice days in CA than here though! I do have a trainer for my bike so that I can bike indoors when the weather is bad, but I rarely do that because it's boring biking in one spot.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Mar 2011, 4:10 pm

walk.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:40 pm

Superfly wrote:
I run. 5 days a week, adding up to about 30 miles a week on average.

I do also do yoga 2-4 times a week, but struggle to keep motivated to go on. Twice a week in a group setting, the other times at home.

Neither is particularly social. There's very little interaction in the yoga groups, even accounting for the fact that I am one only guy in one of the groups. I dont see the women talking among themself much either either before and after the exercise. I do run alone 95% of the time, the exception being monthy races. I've learned to recognise a few faces at the races, but havent really talked much with people there either. Might try joining a running group in the summer, we'll see.

I'm tempted to try tai chi as a kinda intermedia form between yoga and martial arts.

I'm encouraged when you say that your yoga classes aren't particularly social. Maybe I should give it a try. It's not that I'm so adverse to socializing, but it can feel like an added pressure when all I want to do is go to class and learn something new.

Actually, I'm interested in tai chi too. Apparently it's really great for both defense and for health reasons. If I end up giving it a try, I'll let you know how it goes. :D