Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

I just calculated how many grams of protein I need at my current weight. If I am trying to lose a lot of weight, how would I calculate how many I need instead (I am just assuming the number I got from my first calculation was what I would eat if I was trying to maintain the weight I have now?)

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2011, 6:20 pm

The general idea is, sugar and fats are extras in your body. Protein is not an extra. So in a diet, try to fit most of your calories in healthy sources of protein that won't give you a heart attack! (low fat/cholesterol; ie. tofu or whey).

http://www.livestrong.com/article/44294 ... se-weight/
^ this article suggests, suggestion taken from a journal "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" (journal has an impact factor 6.3; makes it very believable). That you should make protein atleast 30% of your diet.

I also learned that in physiology class that protein digestion reduces ghrelin in the body; making one less hungry. (less ghrelin means for better satiation).

Last edited by Infoseeker on 30 Aug 2011, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

gtw1983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
I just calculated how many grams of protein I need at my current weight. If I am trying to lose a lot of weight, how would I calculate how many I need instead (I am just assuming the number I got from my first calculation was what I would eat if I was trying to maintain the weight I have now?)

Hmmm I never really bothered to ever count out my Protein intake.
All I know is that when I ate more of it (especially the lean variety) while at the same time cutting Carbohydrates and Starches I lost weight pretty regularly.It's a good idea to still get some complex Carbs like Whole wheat bread in your diet though instead of sugars from sweets etc.Eating too much sugar can really mess up your insulin secretion and lead to weight gain.My family has a lot of diabetes history,so I found the information very invaluable

and if you add some Cardio or weight lifting into the equation you can peel the weight off even faster.The Complex Carbs break down slowly and will give you energy for your work outs,while the Protein can help build a little.Thats the great thing,muscle burns calories at an accelerated rate.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 9:15 pm

I've been curious about the general Low Carb/Low Sugar diet allowing for moderately fatty proteins. I've lost about 4 pounds so far while cutting out really starchy foods.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 10:20 pm

Thanks for the responses!

In response to gtw, the only reason I am concerned about protein right now is because my hair is falling out, and I am blaming that on a lack of protein. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have thought to calculate them either.

In response to everyone (and for anyone to give advice on!):

Last summer I tried the low carb, high protein thing to put my body into ketosis. It worked, and I lost quite a bit (I was also on a 100-500 cal a day diet though). I was also a meat eater, so I could fill up my calories on meat, and get some protein that way. When I was eating 500-1000 cals a day which I did on occasion, I could get in a LOT of protein.

Now, I am a vegetarian, and I don't eat any meat or eggs. I also do not like the taste and texture of fake meats, and I don't even eat a whole lot of tofu. I am VERY low on protein right now, I know, but what protein I do get is usually in the form of lentils and beans...and to a lesser extent, nuts and seeds. I also eat grains (rice, barley, oats, corn, and some wheat). So right now, I am not low-carb.

My question:

Is it possible for a vegetarian to get back to a high protein diet without becoming a meat/egg eater again? (I also don't drink milk or have most other milk products except for the occasional bit of cheese which has been difficult to eliminate this time). Since rice and barley form a large bulk of my staple food, and since I don't eat meat, I don't even know if it is possible for me to get to low-carb/high-protein, is it?

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2011, 1:11 pm

NO idea about alternatives besides tofu; maybe the soybeans themselves (29 grams of protein in a cup).

Better than tofu for protein is seitan. That is essentially wheat-gluten that makes the mock meats; which you said are a no-no.

heckeler06
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 12:12 pm

Vegetarian here, but I eat eggs and dairy products.

I also exercise and run a bit, so I make a habit of getting so much protein a day.

Basically I try to eat beans daily, and combine it with some grain to get all your amino acids.
Peanut butter is also good.
Soy, I'm on the fence with. I've read that it isn't the best source of protein, but it's better than nothing. Soy milk probably got me through high school when I wasn't eating very healthy.
And you mentioned you don't eat dairy, or much dairy, but if it's starting to adversely affect your health, it might be good to eat some more cheese/yoghurt or something. [Apologies for recommending foods you don't eat, but being healthy is good!]
Possibly look into grains like quinoa or buckwheat [which are complete proteins].

Hope this helps and feel free if you have any questions!

Wurzel
Raven
Raven

10 Sep 2011, 8:23 pm

According to my book on human diet by Teaford and Ungar, protein intake should be 0.75 grams per kilogram of bodyweight per day, or about 10% of dry matter. Most calories should come from carbohydrates in the form of fruits and vegetables, especially root vegetables.

sealion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2011, 10:30 am

take your temperature 20 mins after your meal and try to get 98F and above if not tweak your ratios. Proteins, carbs and fats in every meal.

-Hippocrates

http://www.loselegfat123.blogspot.com

Koan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2011, 1:44 am

Complete proteins are vital, and so are fresh vegetables (fruits not so much).

Carbs are basically empty calories and are virtually unnecessary.

A good multivitamin and additional calcium, magnesium and potassium will help you lose weight.

Do not cut fats completely, especially fatty acids and the "healthy" fats. Consuming some healthy fats and oils can actually help you lose more weight (as long as you keep your caloric intake low). Also, thare also some vitamins/minerals that are oil (nonpolar) soluble, not water (polar) soluble. I take my vitamins in the middle of a meal containing some oil like omega 3, fish oil, olive oil, coconut oil, or a supplement like UDO's.