Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

silenthawk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2011, 3:27 pm

I am a little on the skinny side and want to know how to build some muscle. All I have in the way of exercise equipment is two dumbbells. What are some easy exercises for beginners? I want to improve overall muscle tone, especially my upper body, abdominal muscles, and arms. Do you guys have any advice?

Jojoba
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2011, 3:50 pm

I've had good luck using slow burn lifting. Have put on around 20lbs of muscle since I began 1 and a half years ago. And it is pretty simple to do, with a few dumbbells doing the job. Learned about slow lifting here:

"Fred Hahn’s Slow Burn"

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/201 ... -burn.html

Overall, I also believe that a good diet is just as important for building muscle. I personally eat a low carb/paleo diet. Saw this about the paleo diet today:

"The Paleo Diet"
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/08/0 ... test=faces

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 4:05 pm

Deadlifts or chin ups.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 8:57 pm

resistance bands are cheap and build muscle just like weights. they come in different resistances and you can increase resistance as you get stronger by shortening the amount of band you use for the exercise. i do about 20 exercises for upper and lower body. got the exercises in two sessions with a personal trainer. (sessions were covered by my health insurance.) my goal is to do the set of exercises twice per week. muscles need at least a day to recover between sessions of weight training.

(i walk every day.)

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2011, 6:40 pm

Thanks for asking. I've been coming here hoping someone would talk about it, but I never bothered to ask. :lol: (And I even see it's not a new thread. How did I miss it?) :roll:

Do I have to buy the slow burn book to see what to do, or is there something online somewhere? :P

sealion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2011, 10:31 am

resistance training keep your workouts under 45 mins.

-Hippocrates

http://www.loselegfat123.blogspot.com

maquaii
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

Protein in before or after training, (1.7 gram protein per kg body mass) and you better eat up all the kcal you burn through the day.

The The Big Three are
Squat
Benchpress
Deadlift

If you really want to learn, head over to bodybuilding.com.