Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

philski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Dec 2008, 3:19 pm

Just got back from another dump in the mountains and skiing some waist deep Utah white gold. This, and a few other activities has replaced both anti-depressants and ADD meds. In fact, in my case it works much better than the chemicals I've put in my body in the past. I still deal with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) this time of year due to lack of sunlight but have a light designed for that problem.

My point is to suggest to some people this could be a better alternative. Following Doc's orders is always a must as well. I just know that I've been med free for two years now and quite honestly didn't even connect the reason why till just now. I even have a woman who runs an Anxiety clinic doing an infomercial and wanting me to share what has gone on to help me overcome a high level of anxiety. She will be flying me to Texas somewhere. I used some of her material to overcome the serious panic attacks I was having a couple years ago.

I really wish I had this site available to me years ago as well as the Therapeutic community having info on Asperger's. In my late forties, I can still make up for some of the hell I went through the first half of my life. Never to late to live!

ike
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2008, 3:59 pm

Feeling much the same way! :) For me the trick primarily was philosophy... started in the summer of '98 and was actually quite sudden and noticeable for me. It took about a week to get me into a state in which I was pretty much completely free of frequent and debilitating anxiety. Of course, since then I haven't always been able to achieve that state, but I still work at it. :) Skiing sounds like a much easier prescription though... I've never been able to really share what worked for me, although damn did I want to.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2008, 8:51 pm

I work out every day and have done since las May, this helps with anxiety, but the truth is that medication has helped me even more. Hey it's good If you found that to work, but sadly some of us still have to take md

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2008, 2:41 pm

For me it is riding up a long steep mountain and then screaming down the other side at 60mph. There isnt a medicine that makes me feel as good

philski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2009, 12:50 am

roadracer wrote:
For me it is riding up a long steep mountain and then screaming down the other side at 60mph. There isnt a medicine that makes me feel as good

Yup, in the warmer months, road and mountain biking another medicinal passion. Last summer really got into serious mountain biking some very intense trails with jumps, turns, and the need for speed.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 2:33 am

The mountain biking must be awesome in park city, I dream of riding the single track in your part of the country. Around hear, next season they will be finishing a mountain bike park, supposed to have some pretty technical trails, so I am excited to do a little more of that next season.
Currently I am trying to save up some money for a cycle cross bike. I have also been wanting to try some down hill, they have the trails but unfortunately they wont open the lifts for it.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 11:54 am

philski wrote:
Just got back from another dump in the mountains and skiing some waist deep Utah white gold.

You are very brave. This is an inspirational story! I have found I need high activity levels to get rid of anxiety too. But I am not brave like you (and have physical limitations as well) so I do other stuff like ice skate or work out on the elliptical or kayak. I think it has something to do with the actual burning off of excess nervous energy obviously, but there is something with the repetitive activities that inhibits serotonin reuptake in the brain- knitting is kind of the same way (repetitive motions). Does your anxiety expert friend have any info on that?

philski
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2009, 3:16 pm

riverotter wrote:
I think it has something to do with the actual burning off of excess nervous energy obviously, but there is something with the repetitive activities that inhibits serotonin reuptake in the brain- knitting is kind of the same way (repetitive motions). Does your anxiety expert friend have any info on that?

Concerning your question, go to her website. The program did get me on the path to being relatively anxiety free.
http://conqueranxiety.com/index.asp

I did a snowshoe today in some deep powder. Not as exciting as skiing but a good way to welcome the New Year all the same.

Chow,
Philski

Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2009, 7:45 pm

I feel you there, I go skiing 3-4 times a week if the pass is open. I go to a real dump of a ski resort (snoqualmie pass, WA) but it's still fun.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:44 pm

I skied 32 days last year and I hope to beat that record. I live in Boulder, Colorado and do more or less the same. Team sports disagree with me so speed it is. PM me if you're ever at Winter Park.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

I do pretty much the same with ice skating, I love it so much. However, it sucks that people basically think I'm wasting my time skating as much as I do at age 20 (5 days a week), whereas I see it as the only thing keeping me sane and not from being 300 pounds. I do wanna try skiing, but I love ice skating, though. I switched to figure a couple months ago, and haven't looked back. I simply love it, it gives me a way to see people too, without having to engage them, which is great. I also get to play my own music over the rink PA speakers, so I get to skate to my Japanese music, it's great.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 3:36 pm

The thread title worried me a little on first sight. Glad you really meant snow and not the other powder.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin