Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 9:32 am

I know I'm at risk for pejoritizing myself as 'that guy' but this makes a lot of sense from my own experience and I'm glad to see the world of medicine wising up. That said I don't think anything aside from a metabolic correction to the way some people process alcohol can 'cure' alcoholism (so yeah, bad on Yahoo for the article title) but I'd agree that it has the power to completely change people's habits who've been stuck in a loop of caving in or believing that they're not strong enough to stop.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhe ... alcoholism

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 2:04 pm

I can see how that could help, though I see nothing wrong with taking LSD more than once......but yeah even one time can have a powerful long lasting effect.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 2:26 pm

I think they're indicating once per year would tend to lend the effect, although I get the impression no time would be more powerful than their first just on it being something new that they've never experienced with themselves.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 2:35 pm

Definitely. Psilocybin too. I haven't read the science but I know one way they work is by removing psychological attachments. When you 'return' you have to choose who you want to be and what connections you have. I recommend acid for all autistics anyway.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 2:55 pm

fraac wrote:
When you 'return' you have to choose who you want to be and what connections you have. I recommend acid for all autistics anyway.

I'd actually tweak one thing in that sentence - ie. you had enough scrap a priori removed that you *get* to choose who you want to be going forward. Even if your old life and mentality start returning two or three days later you still remember the experience, what it told you about your priorities, and you have a strong set of motivators in the back of your head.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 3:06 pm

MDMA seems to go well with psychedelics, for whatever reason I tend to have less of a desire for alcohol or cigarettes after such experiances. Though it was a bad mushroom trip that contributed to me smoking again after I had quit for a month a couple years ago.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 3:18 pm

MDMA goes well with everything.

Billybones
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

fraac wrote:
Definitely. Psilocybin too. I haven't read the science but I know one way they work is by removing psychological attachments. When you 'return' you have to choose who you want to be and what connections you have. I recommend acid for all autistics anyway.

My psychedelic days are probably over with - my grasp on sanity is tenuous enough as it is! I could see myself going so far away that I could never come back. But I have to say that my life is much richer for having experienced it. It was profoundly moving & rattled my brain like nothing before or since. I was able to have a sort of "out of body" experience, able to see myself as others see me. I have to believe it brought about some positive changes in my personality - helped me to become a more sympathetic, tolerant & understanding person.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 6:48 pm

I've heard pretty good things about ibogaine too. It has been known to treat opioid addicts. I haven't heard about it being used for alcoholism though.

I smoked a lot of pot and did some mescaline when I first left the army, it took all that to realize that it wasn't all about me, most people think its a no brainier, but I spent the first 25 years of my life with a me first attitude.