How to go about meeting people to play sports with?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

coconapple
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Apr 2012, 11:50 pm

I'd like to find other people to play tennis, badminton, or racquetball with... does anyone know how I might go about doing that?
I've moved a lot so all my friends live far from me.

edit:crazy typos...

Last edited by coconapple on 25 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 2:04 am

1. Put up a notice at the places where you would play these games.

2. Put up a notice on the supermarket bulletin board for someone to play these sports with.

3. Ad in local paper.

4. Ask around at the places where you would play those games.

5. Ask around at local sports shops.

6. Place notices up at local sports shops.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2012, 3:58 am

coconapple wrote:
I'd like to find other people to play tennis, badminton, or racquetball with... does anyone know how I might goo about doing that?
I've moved a lot so all my friends live farm from me.

I've found that many sports centres with courts for racket games often have weekly "social" evenings (or, in one case, a Saturday afternoon) for each of the sports. I think it may be a bit more common for tennis and badminton.

Look at their website (if they have one) or go to the sports centre or courts and see if they have a notice board. Find which days they have "socials".
- If it says to phone first, phone them and just say you'd like to join them. You shouldn't have to say more than that and give them your name.
- Most "socials" you can just arrive at the advertised time.
- Arrive dressed in what you would normally wear on court.
- Bring appropriate racket and ball or shuttle. Bring towel and a plastic bottle of water.
- First time you go, arrive 10 minutes early and ask the first person who arrives if they are the organiser. If they are you can tell them you're there to play. If they're not they'll probably let you know who's organising it when the organiser arrives.
- Make sure to give the organiser your name and they'll (normally -in my experience) match you up with someone for a game.
- Take some money, as you may need to pay one-off entry to the courts if it's in a sport centre, AS WELL AS pay the organiser for the social session.
- Try NOT to be TOO COMPETITIVE the first time you go. Most people just go to socials to hit the ball/shuttle and move around a bit. They may not want balls smashed in their faces, or lengthy arguments about whether a shot was in or out. Also, first time, consider playing a bit to the level of the other players.
- If you enjoy the evening then go to the next one. If you find you didn't enjoy it, find another one in your area and try that one. If the organiser asks if you enjoyed yourself just say "yes" even if you're not sure.

- After going to a few of these sessions you'll probably have an idea of who plays about as good as you. Ask one of them if they'd like to play there on another evening.

If they don't advertise socials there'll probably be some one else like you looking for someone to play with who may be advertising such on the noticeboard

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2012, 5:51 am

... and once you've someone who plays one of your sports, ask if they play one of the other games, or know anyone looking for a game

coconapple

25 Apr 2012, 12:26 pm

Wow, nice replies.
Because I didn't have anyone to go with, I didn't even think about going to those places!
Thanks, I'll be trying all those tips!