Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 9:45 am

I need to get in shape for football next fall.

I realize I must be pretty weak.

I can run a mile in 7~ mins.

I curl 65 pound barbells on a good day, 60 on alright days.

8-12 reps, 3 sets.
II come back fro more later.

I can do the abdominal thing 15 reps 3 sets at 200 pounds.

Bench press like 100 but only a few reps.

I don't squat yet.
I need to learn.

I usually work out for an hour or two after cereal or a protein bar.

But how long should I work out?

I know I can continue for awhile and it makes me stronger.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 10:35 am

Basically 'til you're too tired to do more. If that means like 3-4 hours, go for it. You'll have to learn to taper it based on how you're feeling the next day, you do need to recover, too. But, eventually you'll figure out what works best for you. I wish there was a concrete answer to your thing, but really, everyone will give you a different answer, and it's the basis of why different training programs exist and the like. Some people will tell you everyday, some people will tell you every other day, you know, you're just gonna have to play with it and see what works.

Your mile time is comparatively good, really. One thing you may wanna work on for football is sprint times, and improving your sprint times, 40, 100, etc. If you wanna put on a bunch of muscle mass quickly, squats and deadlifts are the way to go. Especially snatch grip deadlifts, as snatch grip deadlifts give you a higher pull. Sumo deadlift is very good, too, as it involves your thigh abductor muscles, and they don't usually get worked out unless you're doing some sort of skating exercise. I'd concentrate if I were you on squat, deadlift, and then standing overhead press instead of bench, or if you do bench, do incline bench instead. The reason is, the bench in my opinion, doesn't have a ton of carryover to many real life activities. In football, you're never gonna be lying on a bench to tackle someone. You're gonna be standing up. So the standing overhead press, while you're almost always using less weight, is better, as it involves your back and core and legs much more in the lift. For squatting, I personally recommend doing Olympic squats, as low to the ground as you can get, rather than powerlifting kinda squats to parallel. You're again using less weight, but the range of motion is more useful. Some do believe the opposite, though, you'll have to think of what one you like more. Also, you can try incorporating front squats, too, front squats work your quads and abdominal muscles much more.

Also, you should try and incorporate some Olympic lifts into your program. Don't make them the like, base of your program by any means, but do try to incorporate some, as they'll teach you how to make power explosively. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLNzd_FcThs

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 11:21 am

1000Knives wrote:
I'd concentrate if I were you on squat, deadlift, and then standing overhead press instead of bench, or if you do bench, do incline bench instead. The reason is, the bench in my opinion, doesn't have a ton of carryover to many real life activities.

Flat bench is probably the best exercise for boxers to do though since it's the same motion you punch someone with.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 1:08 pm

Venger wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
I'd concentrate if I were you on squat, deadlift, and then standing overhead press instead of bench, or if you do bench, do incline bench instead. The reason is, the bench in my opinion, doesn't have a ton of carryover to many real life activities.

Flat bench is probably the best exercise for boxers to do though since it's the same motion you punch someone with.

It depends, I mean this is a huge argument in itself. Football too, some people do say the flat bench does have carryover into football.

http://www.rookiejournal.com/the-inclin ... page1.html

Pretty good article about flat vs incline vs overhead press by Bill Starr. Bill Starr was one of the ones who came up with the "Big Three" so yeah... I don't know, overhead presses are more fun to me.

Quote:
The flat-bench press became our primary upper-body exercise by default. While we both felt that the incline was a more beneficial shoulder girdle exercise than the flat bench, there was a major problem. No incline benches were available for the high school coaches to use. I mean zero. We never saw a single incline bench in any high school weight room we inspected. In fact, there was a severe lack of inclines, period. Most commercial gyms didn’t have them, and the gym at York had only one, the type that you stand up in with your feet on metal plates. That may seem rather strange because now any fitness facility worth its salt has a row of inclines, but at the time the overhead press was the primary exercise used to build upper-body strength for all athletes, and it was still part of official Olympic-lifting competitions.

Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 May 2012, 3:04 pm

Based on those numbers I'm assuming you want to be QB/receiver/cornerback/safety? If you are I'd recommend doing more running and agility workouts, and continue to do the lifts you are doing. If you would like to be linebacker/RB/FB, you will probably want to get a lot stronger, by doing less reps with more weight. Also do what 1000knives said.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2012, 3:08 pm

I would write down a routine and follow it that may help.