need to lose weight but can't excercise

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 7:49 pm

I have a toe joint deformity which has worsened in the past couple of years. As a result I can no longer run or exercise with such intensity as I used to and it's affecting my weight. I want to lose weight and I've been trying dieting and cutting down my calories but apparently I might have blood sugar issues which make it impossible to cut down calories and sugar. I can't predict when the blood sugar drops occur. I have a job where breaks are unpredictable and I can't make them too long.

So I guess what I'm looking for is some weight loss ideas that aren't so much about cutting down on food but rather exercising with a bad foot.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 7:55 pm

Cycling? MAYBE ice skating, as ice skate soles are solid, and the boots don't allow a lot of ankle flexion.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2012, 8:19 pm

Swimming, very easy on people with injuries.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 8:50 pm

Some exercises that might work are riding bicycles, tons of exercises using resistance bands for strength training, swimming, body weight sqauts, dead lifts, floor presses with olympic bar, overhead presses, a lot of differrent kind of abdominal exercises, oblique crunches...

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 10:41 pm

Cycling is a great exercise. You can burn a ton of calories and it can be done indoors (varying resistance is the key)

Swimming is also a popular exercise for those with physical limitations.

I wouldn't stress, running is only one type of exercise.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 7:29 am

As people have said before, cycling and or swimming are possible ways for you to work out. You can also do a lot of different weight lifting exercises without your toe/foot coming into play. Also, cut the freaking sugar and start eating fats to replace them, they keep you sated longer and your blood sugar more stable. Unless there is a medical condition that requires you ingest sugar that is, but I've never heard of anything like that.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 4:04 pm

Most people can get in shape. :) With a toe deformity, you need to be very careful in leg exercises (avoid common leg raises at all costs and instead hit your ankles from a different angle). Depending on the severity, you may also consider switching out deadlifts with other exercises with similar benefits.

The best leg exercise there is (squats) thankfully places the weight on your heel and not your toes.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 1:56 am

I have knee problems from a car accident a few years ago, so I can't run. However, I can walk and try to do so for at least an hour a day. I also have been using Subway sandwiches, cut in 4 pieces, along with low calorie beverages. So far, I have lost over 20 lbs in the last 4 months and am going for 60 lbs in total. If I can do it at my age, you probably can too. Just don't give up.

Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 2:59 am

Yes--I encourage you to consider natural alternatives to whatever diet you need. If you have drops in blood sugar, consider eating in a way that keeps your sugar stable without requiring extra sugar--by eating lots of protein. Remember that sugar can plummet when you spike then drop your sugar, by eating sugary foods.

The first thing i thought of was swimming. But there is also elliptical exercise and cycling (though cycling is a bit harder to burn calories with, because it's not weight bearing.)

Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2012, 3:01 am

outofplace wrote:
I have knee problems from a car accident a few years ago, so I can't run. However, I can walk and try to do so for at least an hour a day. I also have been using Subway sandwiches, cut in 4 pieces, along with low calorie beverages. So far, I have lost over 20 lbs in the last 4 months and am going for 60 lbs in total. If I can do it at my age, you probably can too. Just don't give up.

That is awesome! Congratulations on your success! It is super inspirational.

Scottinoz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2012, 7:48 am

Kurgan wrote:

Most people can get in shape. :) With a toe deformity, you need to be very careful in leg exercises (avoid common leg raises at all costs and instead hit your ankles from a different angle). Depending on the severity, you may also consider switching out deadlifts with other exercises with similar benefits.

The best leg exercise there is (squats) thankfully places the weight on your heel and not your toes.

That's really inspiring and should give hope and motorvation to everyone :thumleft:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 1:29 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
I have a toe joint deformity which has worsened in the past couple of years. As a result I can no longer run or exercise with such intensity as I used to and it's affecting my weight. I want to lose weight and I've been trying dieting and cutting down my calories but apparently I might have blood sugar issues which make it impossible to cut down calories and sugar. I can't predict when the blood sugar drops occur. I have a job where breaks are unpredictable and I can't make them too long.

So I guess what I'm looking for is some weight loss ideas that aren't so much about cutting down on food but rather exercising with a bad foot.

SWIMMING!! It's the best thing for any kind of problem affecting the muscles or joints. It is low impact and helps relax the body. Very therapeutic. a couple of hours a day in a pool works wonders. Plus, there's no danger of overheating in this extreme weather.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 7:26 pm

My cousin is in a wheelchair and she is in better shape than I am lol, so don't let a toe problem stop you from becoming healthy! You may just have to think outside the box for activities that won't put stress on your foot.

dysangel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2012, 6:33 am

Your blood sugar drops may be occurring around 4 hours after eating really sugary stuff. I get that. Try eating more "whole" carbs like brown rice, wholemeal bread, etc. And cut out sugary crap. Your body turns carbs into blood sugar, there's no need to directly inject sugar. If your blood sugar level rises too high, it overloads your blood sugar and causes you to go into fat storage mode. So if you eat sugary stuff you can be guaranteed you're just adding fat if you're not currently running a marathon :p

So yep, read more about "low GI" type foods to help regulate your blood sugar. You can still eat loads of tasty good food, just avoid sugary drinks and sweets :) And don't be scared too much of fat - it also digests slowly and has nutrients necessary to keep your body in good condition. If you are interested, read up on Ancel Keys and how he misled the whole of the world about how saturated fats are bad. It's only trans-fats that have been clinically shown to be harmful, and trans-fats are illegal in most places now I think.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2012, 4:08 pm

Zinia wrote:
Yes--I encourage you to consider natural alternatives to whatever diet you need. If you have drops in blood sugar, consider eating in a way that keeps your sugar stable without requiring extra sugar--by eating lots of protein. Remember that sugar can plummet when you spike then drop your sugar, by eating sugary foods.

The first thing i thought of was swimming. But there is also elliptical exercise and cycling (though cycling is a bit harder to burn calories with, because it's not weight bearing.)

I've tried protein shakes but they only made me feel hungrier and I dunno why. I hear that the weight loss shakes tend to do that for some people. Unless you know of a protein shake that actually works...

For me dieting has a lot of challenges. I'm an uncontrollably picky eater. I can't eat anything with small bits of certain vegetables I can eat. The other day I went to Olivia Garden and ordered the marina sauce for my ravioli on the side. Even the sauce had so much onion that I had to be careful when I dip. I also can't handle natural sweet. I feel natural sweet is too sensitive for me than artificial sweet.

My job creates challenges too. I can do small multiple meals due to a lack of breaks. There's so much to be done at my job that I hardly ever take my two 15 min breaks if I want to be done in time. My dad makes me a breakfast of sausage egg and cheese sandwich on an English muffin but the problem is that this is not filling or energizing enough to get me to lunch. I end up getting a second meal at McDonald's on the way to work. I get so tired of eating muffin sandwiches though. There's never enough energy for me to do my job quickly and efficiently. Should I try adding oatmeal to my meal or something else?

Adventus
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2012, 3:15 pm

Keep a Food journal. This will help with predicting when your sugar may go low. Also you will be able to see patterns and habits that you will need to change to lose weight.