Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 5:32 pm

I buy like "5 Minute Oats" so they're not even "instant" though they are, but they're less instant the 1 minute oats. I just pour myself a cup of oats and just eat them dry. I've been doing it all my life. I don't like cooked oats as much for some reason. But dry oats like that taste good. It's a little dry, but not bad. I find I like snacking on oats like this.

Anyone else do this?

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 5:42 pm

My whole life I have nibbled things dry, from oats, to spaghetti noodles. But especially when I was a kid. I bet it was like pica in a way though-- I was severely deficient on nutrients as a kid.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 6:51 pm

I never knew you could eat them dry, I always figured it'd make you sick if you did.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 7:05 pm

For a small snack, sure. As a meal, no way. When I was younger and into heavy weight lifting more, as a post workout drink I would use a little bit of dry whole or blended oatmeal, to use in a protein shake usually with milk included. It was really good. Cookies and Cream Flavor, vanilla, and creamy chocolate went very well with the oats. I would drink a couple glasses of water right after that. Raw oats can cause minor stomach problems from what I've read, especially if one is not hydrated enough.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 8:47 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I buy like "5 Minute Oats" so they're not even "instant" though they are, but they're less instant the 1 minute oats. I just pour myself a cup of oats and just eat them dry. I've been doing it all my life. I don't like cooked oats as much for some reason. But dry oats like that taste good. It's a little dry, but not bad. I find I like snacking on oats like this.

Anyone else do this?

I prefer oats dry as well. Or baked in cookies. I'll buy an entire thing of oats and eat it like this as snacks over the course of a month, more or less.

If I want a cereal of oats, I use whole oat groats. The consistency of oatmeal is far too mushy for my tastes.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2013, 8:51 pm

musicforanna wrote:
My whole life I have nibbled things dry, from oats, to spaghetti noodles.

Pondering wrote:
Raw oats can cause minor stomach problems from what I've read, especially if one is not hydrated enough.

I've never had stomach problems with raw oats.

My younger brother had a miserable episode with dry spaghetti, though. When I was in the hospital years ago for surgery, he was at home by himself. One day for supper he munched on dry spaghetti while drinking beer. He said that the spaghetti really swelled up on him and he got so bloated for a few hours that all he could do was lay down on the sofa and wait it out.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2013, 8:54 pm

Yep, I've got a big container of dry oats from Winco. I usually eat a mouthful and drink a gulp of water, ha! They're great for a pre-workout meal because I don't have any sort of sugar crash during. I can see how eating a lot of them without proper hydration could be a problem but thus far, I must be drinking enough.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 1:07 pm

I do! I have to be careful, though. I can eat rolled oats like this, but not steel-cut oats, unless I want a really bad stomachache. I just cook my steel-cut oats.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 2:15 pm

I never have them dry, but I don't always cook them as porridge. I take jumbo oats in a nut/seed-rich muesli, with some almond milk.