Muay Thai helped my coordination... BIG TIME

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DigitalFist
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jul 2013, 2:03 am

I don't have much else to say on the subject. I have always been into fighting games, and I guess I developed some forms of dexterity through that. However, I really refined my motor skills through Muay Thai and kickboxing. I did, however, improve unusually fast, even compared to NT's, so perhaps I have a knack with it. But I would highly recommend a martial art for fitness, self-defense, and overcoming clumsiness. Plus, the mind games go WAY DEEPER than in any high-level Street Fighter match. ;)

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 3:29 am

Aikido had a similar effect on me (before it, I walked unnaturally and had bad posture) but it also was my antidote to PTSD.

After constantly getting into fights in school, the last one being in 12th grade when I accidentally smashed a guy's face into my knee, I was experiencing PTSD for years until Aikido came along.

If I studied Judo (which I tried) or Muai Thai (I sparred with some boxers to see what it's about), that fight-or-flight PTSD would've stayed with me. So I'd venture to say that a person has to pick the exact art that suits them, but martial arts definitely do give a big benefit.

redriverronin
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2013, 5:21 am

Same here I didn't care for foot base or basket ball never good at any sports until I started mma training it was one of the most natural feeling and fluid things there is to me wish I would have started training when I was much younger.

undateables
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jul 2013, 9:54 am

If ever there is a sport where you don't have to be an athlete to begin with it is rock climbing. Disclaimer, you'll soon be a beast if you become obsessed.

DigitalFist
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jul 2013, 1:26 pm

undateables wrote:
If ever there is a sport where you don't have to be an athlete to begin with it is rock climbing. Disclaimer, you'll soon be a beast if you become obsessed.

You don't have to be an athlete for martial arts. Not sure what athleticism and rock climbing have to do with coordination and my thread. Lol

I think being able in a martial art is also a wonderful self-esteem booster. A lot of us lack confidence, and it certainly gave me TONS of it (just don't become an over-confident, narcissistic jerk). It's actually a little surreal for me to now be in a position where there is this certain vibe of respect where people don't seem to cross the line with you. I don't even threaten people or intimidate them, but it seems that people are naturally intimidated by those skilled in fighting. It certainly weirded me out the first time I began noticing this because I've been picked on and bullied back in my middle school and early high school years. I have always been at the bottom of social hierarchy; such a dramatic yet unintended transition of power in the human pecking order. But now I'm getting off touch with coordination and bumping into psychology and anthropology instead lol.

Try out a martial art. I highly suggest it. 8)