Page 8 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 7:46 am

Last week was better, also because I went on holiday (good thing, in January) and other factors controlled what I ate. I don't think it's an issue currently but I remain conscious about my choices and thoughts (as to not tempt myself or make excuses). I think the 'episodes' are getting more easy to control for me, or at least I hope so especially in the future. Such times really suck.

Quote:
I've been told to treat myself before and that one "treat" becomes an all you can eat buffet of chocolate and stuff like that.

Good that you're aware of that weakness! :thumleft:

(not a native speaker)

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 1:47 pm

Today was failure. I'm constantly tired, too. The two are related I suspect so my plan for tonight/tomorrow is:
-Sleep well
-Be VERY conscious and aware of thought patterns

I tend to comfort eat because things are going haywire but by doing so I create yet another problem. Luckily I'm not even remotely close to being overweight but this situation sucks. These 'periods' come and go and I hope that I can cut this one short asap.

(not a native speaker)

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2015, 8:33 pm

You compulsively overeat because you are taking low quality nutrients which do not remove long term hunger. Taking simple carbohydrates spikes the blood sugar level rapidly and then insulin spikes up rapidly lowering the blood sugar, especially when simple carbohydrates are taken without proteins the glycemic index is high which causes this effect. Your brain is telling you that your body needs to be fed but you are feeding it the wrong materials.

To stop overeating you have to eat higher quality food. Try to focus on food with high levels of protein, complex carbohydrates and low or medium levels of fat ( preferably polyunsaturated fat which is healthy ). For example a whole-grain bread sandwich with two pieces of sliced chicken, lettuce, sliced tomato and a small amount of mayonnaise might have some calories but will fill you for a long time because it has three key ingredients: protein, complex carbohydrates and polyunsaturated fat.

Try to base every meal around these 3 key components. The same goes with snacks, try to focus on snacks with protein content rather than the usual sweets, crispy bread or potato chips. A very healthy alternative for snacks ( or even lunch ) which I can highly recommend is a whey protein shake. They are inexpensive, easy to prepare, very healthy ( especially if you buy a brand with added vitamins and minerals ), you can get them in various different flavours and their nutrition profile is perfect to keep the hunger away for hours.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:14 pm

I feel it is because you are dealing with externals, not internals. I feel overeating needs to be treated like any other addiction.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:19 pm

I've been trying to watch portion control, stick mostly to real food and not eat after 5:30 all week. It's been ok, but I feel kind of hungry right now.

My really big problems lately have been not even so much the weight gain, but that it's becoming so bad that I never want to move, since moving is so hard. So I don't. I'm afraid to get to the point my dad got to, where he was so ill there were just things he never did again even though he wasn't that old. So this week I've been walking almost a mile a day. Not much, but a start over not moving at all.

My other problem is that food has become like a tyranny to me. Feeling soooooooo hungry and stuffing myself, then feeling ill from it. Over and over and over. So the not eating after five is really making me feel free. I think I can live with the hunger.

I hope I can keep it up (it's also supposed to help with heartburn, which I have).