Page 4 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 9:40 am

I do this all the time. I gained 5 pounds in 3 weeks because I sit on my couch with the TV on and eat chips all day.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 8:51 am

I am beginning to see my stomach muscles. :D

I try to work outside on my property as much as weather and having to pace myself around a bothersome injury allows. The spring and fall are best. This last 6 weeks I have been digging out rocks along the paths for a wall and a fireplace, building a wall (actually two walls, one of stone and one of sticks and branches), and most recently cutting down many many small trees to let in light to the bushes that are hurting between being overgrown and eaten by the deer.

But soon the temps will rise to summer levels and I will be unable to do heavy work outside. I am thickly built, dense as it were and do not take heat well. I should be in a more northly climate. I would say I have a Scandanavian physiology, but it is in truth more like a Neanderthal's. I had a full body X-ray done once and had to laugh because my bones look like an Orc's. :oops: But when the heat drives me in, I just will be switching to the inside remodeling project I began last summer.

Still on target. :)

UnmaskedEmperor
Raven
Raven

23 Jun 2014, 5:45 pm

My first Powerlifting meet was an overall success. I Squatted 352 lbs, Benched 253 lbs and Deadlifted 485 lbs. So, I decided that I earned a couple days of eating whatever I want! :lol: This included spaghetti and meatballs, with ice cream and strawberry cheesecake for desert, a whole bunch of cookies and some various pastries, two medium pizzas (in one sitting!!), all you can eat sushi (A LOT OF IT) and some chocolate bars and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

I enjoyed all this guilt free and am back on track today. Just for fun, I weighed myself after. I weighed in at 198 on Saturday, at the meet... Bedtime, yesterday, I was 214. Good times!! !

Manual labor goes a long way, as far as getting in shape. It also must be nice to have these projects to focus on. What is this injury that you speak of? Bones like an Orc, awesome :lol: ... I have a pretty thick build and my wide, but lanky bone structure makes me look bigger than I actually am. I am also quite Orc-like! My abs are fairly visible, so developed that they stick out, but I'm not super-ripped. I used to obsess about keeping a full six-pack, but not anymore.

I have to admit, I am pretty lazy about manual labor!! I tried working in the oilfield, not for me. I also lived up north, not for me... I like warm climates.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 7:30 pm

Haha... that feasting reminds me of wrestling days. I did some weightlifting, about a year or two I guess and maxed at 240 on the bench. But I was only 145 lbs myself so was happy with that.

I tore muscles and ligaments close to the tailbone. Went off a hilly road on an icy morning trying to get to the Army Post.

Straight manual labor is hard and can be boring. I like the woodsy stuff because I can vary it and nature is my happy place. My dogs are usually with me, but today they were in for a bit and a Buck that has been hanging around came very close to where I was working and just stayed in the area. Really cool.

Orcs. :lol: For me its thick bones, elongated skull, knuckle dragger, bowed legs, bent spine (in two directions now! :lol:)

Long live the Ang Gijak-Ishi!

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 8:19 pm

I used to have horrendous bad habits to the point I was considered obese. It took a health scare with the liver to find out why I was doing what I was doing.

In my youth, I would eat everything in vast quantities, often I don't have the prompt of feeling full or hungry and often it's sensory due to the foods flavor, texture and other things.

Most food was given to me without question by parents. I started to try and study the emotional connection to food and found food was never a crux for emotions.

It's likely I was never made aware of the significance food brings. Then one thing stuck out was the previous fatty food I ate, had little variation in flavor at all, I tried healthier options to experience something more variable in flavor. Before I know it, I felt more satisfied with food, I found I preferred more flavor. Stuff like salad, variation in fruit and vedge and acquired a taste for food I once found absolutely disgusting before like salad.

AS I was losing weight through a rigid exercise plan of action for 6 months, the less food I need eating, I also discovered that I can't feel hungry of full and discovered I have limits with richness in food.

Gone where sncaks completely and only eat at meal times, I do have to be careful and plan every single meal to avoid my own neglect with food.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 10:30 pm

Good for you. :) I really like a lot of veggies raw. Stringbeans, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, cukes, tomatos, lettuce of course, celery. I even eat potatos raw. Kind of like a starchy apple. Also fennel is great.

Might not sound appealing, but you might try something new and be surprised.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Jun 2014, 10:07 am

nick007 wrote:
I had that problem for a while. Some of the issue was related to my eating habits because I was used to eating one big meal a day. I started eating 3 regular meals a day & took the med Topamax for abit to decrease my appetite so urge to pig out wasn't as strong while I was adjusting to better eating.
I just thought I should explain Topamax/Topiramate alitte. It's a seizure med that's occasionally used to help with weight & overeating because it has an effect on decreasing appetite & it also has some mental uses including OCD & anxiety which can also contribute to binge eating.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

UnmaskedEmperor
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2014, 1:12 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
Haha... that feasting reminds me of wrestling days. I did some weightlifting, about a year or two I guess and maxed at 240 on the bench. But I was only 145 lbs myself so was happy with that.

I tore muscles and ligaments close to the tailbone. Went off a hilly road on an icy morning trying to get to the Army Post.

Straight manual labor is hard and can be boring. I like the woodsy stuff because I can vary it and nature is my happy place. My dogs are usually with me, but today they were in for a bit and a Buck that has been hanging around came very close to where I was working and just stayed in the area. Really cool.

Orcs. :lol: For me its thick bones, elongated skull, knuckle dragger, bowed legs, bent spine (in two directions now! :lol:)

Long live the Ang Gijak-Ishi!

I've been lifting for around five years, with a couple of disruptions. Me, having long arms, have only hit 265 so far and failed 275, at the meet. Deadlifts are my favorite! Did you wrestle at the collegiate level? I've never been graceful enough, for sports like that - so I just pick things up and put them down! 240 is a pretty impressive bench, given your stats and experience at the time.

Dude, that sucks! I imagine that injury put you out of commission, for some time. You served in the army, as well?

I'm with you, on the nature thing. It's nice to just take off into the bush and get away from the nuthouse that is city life. I live in a suburb of a major city, so don't see a lot of deer around.

Okay, you are more Orcish, than I. I was thinking big hands and feet, long limbs, broad shoulders and big head. I am quite egg-headed :).

You seem like a pretty cool guy. Who may; perhaps, have stepped out of the pages of a novel :lol:.

PerfectlyDarkTails:

I'm glad to hear that you've achieved this degree of self-awareness. Sometimes; it takes a major scare, to put things into perspective.

My parents were much the same way, not batting an eyelash at my eating habits and somewhat enabling me. They meant well - the truth was, they really didn't know much about healthful nutrition. Fortunately; as a great deal more information is at our fingertips, it's getting easier to find support and solutions.

It's interesting: how, as we give our bodies more of what they need, they tend to want more of that. But, we must remain aware and listen to what they tell us.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 10:14 am

I've been doing way better, made a mistake yesterday but in general I'm doing great!

I haven't responded lately as I've been incredibly busy, tired and occupied in general. At the moment I'm in certain trouble and I need to do a lot at the moment... It's starting to become too much for me. Can I handle this all? Oh well.

Important to keep focus on the important things, such as this.

(not a native speaker)

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:49 am

I understand very well that there're certain things I want to sedate but every kind of sedation only makes me feel worse afterwards. Things haven't been going well for the last couple of months but there's no such thing as fleeing from your own soul/mind. (I don't actually have a soul ;) )Some try moving to distant places or even another country, or they indulge in bad food or just drink it away. But it doesn't work! At some point you just have to admit that this is not a sustainable way of coping and that you waste time by distracting yourself from the issues at hand and your own feelings. Pain is there to be felt, and even though it sucks, it makes it possible for you to do something about the cause and work on yourself. During the last weeks I started to understand this a lot better.

(not a native speaker)

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 2:46 pm

Sounds like you are on the right path Yoma. As the saying goes 'Wherever you go, there you are'. One can escape many things, but oneself is not one of them.

Still on target the last few days. :)

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 2:04 pm

Keep up the good work! :thumleft: I've been doing good as well.

(not a native speaker)

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2014, 1:15 pm

Hmmm... two harder days. Potato Chips attempting a counterattack? :o Not having gum or carrots around made it harder. But I drove them off. :)

UnmaskedEmperor
Raven
Raven

01 Jul 2014, 6:45 pm

Glad to hear that you two are doing okay. I've been mostly on track lately, but each day has been a battle. I'm in some trouble of my own, it's hard not worrying about when the *expletive* will hit the fan. I believe that this time, the fan will explode!!

Central nervous system fatigue from my meet left me severely bogged down and therefore, more vulnerable to the stress. I finally feel just about 100% recovered. The fact that I have been keeping very busy and have plenty of joy in my life, certainly helps.

Despite not replying, I've been keeping an eye on this thread. I find your words wise and inspiring, thanks for sharing. I'll take a moment; to elaborate, with a bit of my own philosophy.

The pattern of escapism is important to recognize. When we try to escape reality, we're fighting a battle we can't win. Reality is absolute. It is what it is, because it has to be. Our perceptions; however, are malleable. That's why it's vital to take what we're afraid of, what causes us pain - and bask in it. I'm not talking about sulking; but rather, finding the calm in "the eye of the storm".

Pain does serve a purpose, as cliche has it; "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". Those words have been abused to no end, but there is some truth to them. There is so much beauty in the world, just waiting for us to find it. If our existence were a state of perpetual bliss, that beauty would be meaningless. Without darkness, there can be no light. To perceive beauty, is to be a part of it. Enduring pain makes us strong enough to do so.

The best things in life, are not free. They are earned, through hard work and constant struggle. The many thresholds of pain we face; are the dirt we must dig through, to unearth the buried treasure that is our happiness.

Let's stay on target and keep digging.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 11:52 am

Is it a bad thing that I am 5'1" (if I'm lucky) and weight 124-127 ish?

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm

Doing well thus far. I'm at my mom's place at the moment but I don't really have money anyway :P

(not a native speaker)