Who gets migraine auras without headache?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 6:36 pm

I don't think I have ever experienced a migraine headache, but I do get auras. It usually starts with a part of the vision (either side or central) becoming blurry, so that I can hardly see anything in that part of my vision. This usually gives way to a rainbow-colored scintillating scotoma. I find that I crave salt during this period and salt and water seems to help me return to normal.

I find, too, that my mind grows fuzzy during this period. I find that I can see both the blurriness and the scintillating scotoma through either eye, with the other eye closed. When I just experienced blurriness today, however, it was exclusively out of the right eye: I could not see the blurriness when the right eye was closed.

One time in 2007, when I went a long time without eating or drinking water, I got some strange symptoms. The most memorable one was that when I heard myself speak, I could tell it was basically word salad, like my ability to use syntax had disappeared and all my words started getting mixed up with each other. I then finally took my lunch and went and got some water and a burger, which caused me to fall asleep, and after getting up I felt a lot better.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 10:52 am

Get lots of migraines - only once did I get the aura without the headache. In that case, the headache showed up a few hours later and it has a really bad one.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 2:07 am

I get ocular migraines sans intense pain but with vividly scintillating scatomas, and I get aural migraines [thankfully less often] featuring distortion in sound centered in a one-octave wide band at approx. 1000 cycles per second, also.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 9:39 am

I'm not sure if it is migraine aura but I experience visual snow at all times ever since I can remember. More intensive when I am tired or ill.
I also experience floaters sometimes. And black vision when I am not feeling well and stand up too suddenly.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 6:44 pm

Kiriae wrote:
I'm not sure if it is migraine aura but I experience visual snow at all times ever since I can remember. More intensive when I am tired or ill.
I also experience floaters sometimes. And black vision when I am not feeling well and stand up too suddenly.

sounds like orthostatic hypotension. maybe get it checked at the doc's office?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 6:53 pm

Yes, I get painless auras; they start as a pinpoint of "dancing" lights, then grow into a ring of colorful, dancing lights/geometric shapes in each eye. Inside/through this ring I can see, but blurry, and where the ring of dancing lights are, I can't see what's there at all.

They last about thirty minutes to where the "ring" grows big enough to disappear out of my vision. Very odd experience, and I've always found them disruptive because while they're happening I can't see properly at all, the dancing shapes/lights obscure my vision.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 5:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kiriae wrote:

It's alright. The "dark" episodes don't happen often. Only when I am sick - for example with a flu - or sleep deprived. And I know how to deal with them - I just freeze for a moment and wait till my vision is back, it takes only just like 1 or 2 secs when I follow this strategy and then I am save to move again.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 5:14 pm

Kiriae wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kiriae wrote:

It's alright. The "dark" episodes don't happen often. Only when I am sick - for example with a flu - or sleep deprived. And I know how to deal with them - I just freeze for a moment and wait till my vision is back, it takes only just like 1 or 2 secs when I follow this strategy and then I am save to move again.

good that you've found a useful workaround :thumleft:

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2015, 10:17 pm

I've gotten scintillating scotomas without the transcranial migraine itself. Recently I developed these debilitating abdominal migraines that put me in the hospital. These were helped by a calcium channel blocker, verapamil.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 10:21 pm

EyeDash wrote:
I've gotten scintillating scotomas without the transcranial migraine itself. Recently I developed these debilitating abdominal migraines that put me in the hospital. These were helped by a calcium channel blocker, verapamil.

what's an abdominal migraine like to have?

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2015, 11:49 pm

My abdominal migraines started as a burning point, almost buzzing with pain, and it would spread to the whole abdomen. The pain would come in waves that were incapacitating - I would shake, sweat, get nauseous and sometimes vomit. The episodes last from a couple of hours to a couple of days. The pain would reach 9/10. Ketamine wasn't enough to stop the pain, it took dilaudid. I hope I never have another.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 11:51 pm

EyeDash wrote:
My abdominal migraines started as a burning point, almost buzzing with pain, and it would spread to the whole abdomen. The pain would come in waves that were incapacitating - I would shake, sweat, get nauseous and sometimes vomit. The episodes last from a couple of hours to a couple of days. The pain would reach 9/10. Ketamine wasn't enough to stop the pain, it took dilaudid. I hope I never have another.

I'm sorry, that sounds awful :o did they ever tell you what caused them?

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 9:08 am

You should get checked for optic neuritis.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2015, 4:19 pm

Thanks for mentioning about optic neuritis - I often get overwhelmed by light and it burns as if there's some inflammation, so I'm going to ask my GP doctor about a referral to an ophthalmologist. Part of what's contributing to the abdominal migraines and related problems is endocrine imbalance. My thyroxine med level was way too high and that's now fixed. But I have an uncommon problem: my pituitary is putting out lots of FSH that is causing my total testosterone level to be crazy high, but my free serum testosterone is very abnormally low. Most likely due to binding to specific types of protein in the blood. It's led to gut and back spasms, connective tissue problems, etc. I tend to get uncommon med problems. This has been killing me for a couple of years and I'm going to be extra grateful when they start treatment. Getting effective medical care seems to be complicated by being autistic or having a PTSD diagnosis. Their first assumption is that I can't possibly be having the symptoms I describe, and I must be mistaken. Glad I now have an excellent doc. :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 4:28 pm

^^^
:wtg: