Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mamamoo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2014, 4:33 am

we have noticed that our 17 yrs old aspie every now and then tastes his feces.he doesn´t want to talk about it,he only asked for help when he had hemorroid problems but we solved that quickly.when you ask him about it he just starts to laugh (we know this is his this - conversation-is-over reaction).so any thoughts, anyone? :?:

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 1:26 pm

No words...

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2014, 3:00 pm

mamamoo wrote:
we have noticed that our 17 yrs old aspie every now and then tastes his feces.

How did you notice? Does he not use the bathroom alone, with the door closed?

Quote:
he doesn´t want to talk about it,he only asked for help when he had hemorroid problems

What does a hemorroid problem have to do with tasting his feces?

Quote:
so any thoughts, anyone? :?:

Seems like sensory-seeking behavior...but if it's connected with health issues, like the hemorroids, people with ASDs sometimes being unable to tell when they are ill due to the brain processing physical sensations atypically, this may be his way of analyzing his health.

Also, Pica is sometimes observed in those with ASD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_%28disorder%29

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 4:41 pm

coprophagia is actually a bit dangerous. The lower intestines contain bacteria that should not end up in the upper gastrointestinal tract. I guess it depends on the amount, but make sure he knows that this can lead to problems.

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2014, 6:50 pm

He must think he's a rabbit.
J/K, sorry. :geek:

I'm also curious to know how you found out about it, but... putting that aside... you really need to make sure he understands that just because it comes from his own body, doesn't mean what's in it is ok to put back into his body.