study says whole eggs are good for you :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

do you think whole eggs are good for you?
yes I do :) 88%  88%  [ 7 ]
I dunno :shrug: 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
definitely NO! :x 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I wanna nice ice cream :chef: 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 5:10 pm

(clicky)study says daily consumption of 3 whole eggs improved symptoms of metabolic syndrome and reduced VLDL levels

I don't know, that is having to overcome decades of indoctrination about the cholesterol dangers of eggs. what do you all think?

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 9:32 pm

Good, because I can't stand egg whites! I also only eat devilled or scrambled eggs and the latter have to have cheese. I don't care about cholesterol. I'm a Southern gal who grew up on bacon grease and mine is fine. I'm immune lol. However, my Yankee born husband has problems with it and I'm afraid that this year after his checkup I'm going to have to change how I cook. I hope he will eat it, it's taken forever to get him to learn to eat right as it is (Southern food and Italian food). Low cholesterol food just doesn't have flavor. I think cholesterol is what flavors food. ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 9:38 pm

^^^^
from what I've read, your husband would do better to restrict his intake of refined carbs [any white foods that are predominantly sugary/starchy, such as table sugar of any color, corn, white potatoes, starchy gravies, breads, stuffing, white rice et al], as well as anything hydrogenated and any trans-fats. you see, the mechanism for elevated cholesterol is driven by acidic blood chemistry which literally eats holes ["lesions"] in blood vessel walls which causes the liver to make more cholesterol to patch those holes, and when this process is protracted is when occlusions/hemorrhages occur. so eat foods that alkalize the blood instead of acidify it, and the cholesterol problem will largely take care of itself.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 10:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^^
from what I've read, your husband would do better to restrict his intake of refined carbs [any white foods that are predominantly sugary/starchy, such as table sugar of any color, corn, white potatoes, starchy gravies, breads, stuffing, white rice et al], as well as anything hydrogenated and any trans-fats. you see, the mechanism for elevated cholesterol is driven by acidic blood chemistry which literally eats holes ["lesions"] in blood vessel walls which causes the liver to make more cholesterol to patch those holes, and when this process is protracted is when occlusions/hemorrhages occur. so eat foods that alkalize the blood instead of acidify it, and the cholesterol problem will largely take care of itself.

As a lady who has no problems serving two kinds of potatoes in a meal, and coming from a place where gravy is a must, I can tell you that he's gonna be lucky not to starve lol.

I'll cook the right stuff for him though. I'll Google some of it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2015, 10:23 pm

you're likely gonna find something between south beach and Mediterranean diet.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 2:58 am

I used to eat egg everyday for breakfast and I noticed that I grew 2 cm taller in a very short time

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 3:00 am

I don't know which nutritional school to believe. I think that just like economists, if you lined nutritionists head to foot they'd still point in all directions. :roll:

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 11:07 am

They were never really bad.

Caveats....

1. "Free range" is best. You don't want eggs exposed to chemicals or from chicken loaded with steroids.

2. Too much of anything is bad for you. Back in the day, the evidence was solid that one egg a day posed no risk at all. So, don't eat lots of eggs every day or you may have a problem that's related to your rate of consumption and not the inherent value of the product consumed.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 11:29 am

While I prefer non-GMO food wherever I can, I believe that the American diet of the 1930s to 1950s (aside from the maltshops) had something going for it. Take a look at the contemporaneous photographs of that time. Sure, a few people were slightly overweight by today's standards, but most were rail-thin. They ate bacon and eggs for breakfast, a hoagie sandwich for lunch, and steak and potatoes for dinner. How could they do it?

Well, firstly, food then was what we would call non-GMO, organic and locally grown. That counts for a lot. Also, the food was more nutritious per bite than what we now have. Food portions could afford to be small by today's standards because of the packed nutrition. Today's food is full of high-fructose corn syrup or Aspartame (now Amino Sweet). Our nation's farms are GMO and chock full of petro-chemical pesticides and glyphosates. Our bodies are reacting, not growing. So, we waddle around like the Axiom passengers of WALL-E.

So, it might not be the best idea, but shifting back to the 1930s to 1950s diet, couldn't hurt us any more than we have hurt ourselves today. Eat more eggs!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2015, 3:45 pm

I miss bacon and eggs :|

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 1:26 am

Eggeryone knows how I feel about egg.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 7:20 am

AspieUtah wrote:
They ate bacon and eggs for breakfast, a hoagie sandwich for lunch, and steak and potatoes for dinner. How could they do it?

People were a lot more active back then.

What kids had to do in PE classes was night and day compared to what was required when I was going to high school. It's even worse now.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2015, 10:21 am

zer0netgain wrote:
People were a lot more active back then.

What kids had to do in PE classes was night and day compared to what was required when I was going to high school. It's even worse now.

Yeah, but standing in that ubiquitous line in front of the Apple store, and using your thumbs to communicate is pretty rough exercise, too! :wink:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 6:35 am

I eat eggs, sure.

In the UK an Europe, we don't put eggs int the fridge. In the US you have to put eggs in the fridge becuase the eggs are washed in an anti-bacterial solution, due to a salmonella outbreak. The the flaw with this is it compromises a protective layer in the egg shell, shorting the life an requiring them to be fridge bound.

UK/EU eggs are illegal in US and US egg are illegal in UK/EU.

Also if you get a varied temperature (i.e. through opening an closing of the door), you are actually increasing the chance of pathogen growth. Keeping the eggs outside in a dry container also decreases the risk of transfer.

Dry is best against bacteria. Production focused on quality standard is a better approach IMO, than routine washing.