Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

noaholiviaian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

Hi, I've been taking high dose of Omega 3 fatty acids for over 3 years. I started after reading a review of research by Andrew Stoll (Harvard) and the effects of high dose EPA on bipolar disorder. I am not bipolar, but I've been struggling with depression and eating disorders since childhood. I've taken several anti-depressants since 1990; all with not-so-good side effects.
I started with 1 gram EPA/500 mgs DHA daily. I weaned myself off Effexor after 4 months of fish oil supps. Nearly 3 1/2 years later, I feel as good or better as I did on anti-depressants. In the past, I've never been able to go more than 6 months off meds, so I know this improvement is due to the Omega 3s. I try to take 2.5 grams/day of Omega 3s; mostly EPA. I use Nordic Naturals EPA Xtra. It is expensive, but you get a lot of EPA for the $$$ and I don't have to swallow 10 capsules! Buying liquid is cheaper, but the texture makes me gag.
Try zinc, also.

Note: Dr. Stoll's reseach subjects used much more EPA than I am using to achieve their remission. I am thinking about bumping up to 4 grams/day EPA to see if it helps more. I still deal with low level depression, but I was like that on meds, too. Sometimes I wonder if it is just my personality. I'm certain that growing up depressed changes who you are... :wink: