Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 3:13 pm

I'm sick. I've been sick since last Friday with a billion nonspecific symptoms. What does this sound like to you:

symptoms:
--passing/fluctuating fever
--dry hacking cough
--depression, irritability
--sore throat
--fatigue
--unusually painful menstruation
--stuffy nose, sneezing fits, sinus headaches
--return of a feisty carbuncle I thought I had gotten rid of
--moderate gastrointestinal discomfort

illness corresponds to:
--menstrual period
--stressful school week
--Knoxville's oak trees releasing massive amounts of pollen
--stomach virus going around
--cat shedding
--reading Nietzsche

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 3:34 pm

sounds like the need for a vacation to me

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 4:54 pm

Sounds like me, mostly. I'm blaming seasonal moodiness (it happens) and alergies.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 5:29 pm

Well you can certainly account for the depression in hormones and Nietzsche.

My immune system is always at it's weakest right before and during my period which seems a contradiction with the allergies thing because isn't that an over-active immune response ?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 5:53 pm

allergies, the cold, a bad period?

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2008, 7:56 am

If you have a continuing or recurring fever for that long, you should probably talk to or see a doctor ...

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 11:15 am

Your symptoms sound like me to a flu that is being made worse by allergies. Are you taking anything to treat the symptoms? This is indeed a bad allergy season. As for the deppression and irritability, Sometimes when i get a bad cold or flu i get that way too. Even so, if it lasts longer without any improvement see a doctor. Of course, most docs are idiots and he'll either tell you the same thing i said or he won't know.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 2:00 pm

Sounds like allergies and a mild virus to me... the depression, irratibility, fatigue, painful menstruation, sore throat, passing fever, and hacking cough would be the result of that (immune system fighting off a bug so you feel pain more, hence the painful period and sore throat and cough and carbuncle and mild gastro upset), plus when you get a bug you often feel down, so that would account for that. The sinus headaches, runny nose etc could well be allergies like hayfever, or also related to a flu. How are your sinuses? And related to that, how is your neck, have you ever been in an accident that could've knocked it out of line? Often if your neck is 'out' that can mean your sinuses don't drain so well, which means bugs get stuck sitting in your head and you end up with a head cold or flu similar to what that sounds like.

But to me it would seem more likely it's just a bug resulting from a bad week and current allergy-season stuff.

Take lots of Vitamin C (3 or 4 grams over a day) and lots of echinacea, and get lots of rest and early nights. Lemon and manuka honey in hot water works a charm, and if you start losing your voice, a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in water (or straight is even better) will bring your voice back from the dead! :)

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 5:54 pm

Back from the doctor (I always go at the one week mark). He said I had hay fever (which accounts for the lung, nose, and throat symptoms), an ear infection (fever and fatigue), and some Prozac side effects (mood symptoms).

I'm on antibiotics for my ear and carbuncle and an inhaler for allergies.