Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 12:19 pm

Seriously, do I eat too? People keep saying I eat way too much...

It's weird, lunch only lasts for two hours. I eat the same as my family and friends and while they're not hungry for the next 4+ hours, my stomach demands food after only 2 hours.

But, yeah, I don't think I eat 'too much'. Because I'm not gaining any weight. Nothing.

When I eat less, just a little less, I lose another 2 pounds/1 kilo right away. Oops.

This all wouldn't be a problem if I wouldn't want to lose 12 pounds/5 kilos. For dancing. You know - 'looks are everything'... bla bla...

Since I look thin but weigh too much (?) doctors usually dismiss my concern. Nice. First they say I don't know my weight, must weigh 20 pounds less and and then after they weigh me they say I should consider losing weight. Hypocrites.

But do I really eat too much? Should I see someone? It grows on me how everyone's nagging about how much I eat.
I've always eaten that much. Getting to know more people really makes new downsides pop up...

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 2:40 pm

Trust the tape measure, not the scale.

http://new-fitness.com/body_fat_analyzing.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

www.fitwithz.com/Forms/Tanitaexplenationform.pdf

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Apr 2008, 2:48 pm

i couldn't possibly say whether you are eating too much. perhaps you could focus more on:

whether you are eating a well balanced diet, i.e. are you getting the nutrients that you need?

whether you get enough excercise and are generally healthy?

i think most of us can get away with eating far more when we are young or very physically active.

have to say that i have always had a very 'hearty appetite' but that even when i do put on weight it isn't that obvious because i have quite long and narrow limbs, small wrists and because of the way i lay fat down. that isn't a good measure of health though as my mother had very slim thighs and hips. her body fat was all stored around her waist and upper body. this pattern of body fat predisposes one to heart disease, which unfortunately is growing more common in our society where we rarely experience true hunger out of necessity.

also there is this whole social thing (especially with women) where you are not supposed to look like you actually enjoy food too much. i hate this. i also hate when colleagues make comments about my figure, how much i eat or anything else along those lines (and they do, men as well). it often sounds to me like they are uncomfortable around food/the way they look. which would be such a shame.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:07 pm

Muscles way more than fat, so if you're very fit, you can "weigh too much" , but not really weigh too much!!

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:08 pm

Maybe you've got a tapeworm.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

It's probably muscle. I am the same way, to a lesser extent... for me I look 5-10 pounds thinner because I have a lot of muscle in my legs. people are often surprised when I tell them what clothing size I actually am.

Weight shouldn't matter too much though, as long as you're healthy... I've read an article about an obese woman who holds exercise classes and eats good food, she just happens to weigh a certain amount... If you're eating well and feel comfortable in your own skin, why does it matter what you weigh?

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 3:55 pm

I think women look more womanly with some extra meat

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2008, 4:22 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Maybe you've got a tapeworm.

The Tape Worm Joke
A fellow walks into his doctor's office, complaining that he thinks he might have a tapeworm. The doctor makes a physical examination and listens to the symptoms, and concurs with the self-diagnosis.

"I want you to come back tomorrow, to start treatment. Bring a banana and a cookie with you," said the doctor.

Despite the seemingly odd request, our hero complies, and returns the next day with a banana and a cookie. The doctor says, "Okay, now drop your pants and bend over. This is going to hurt a bit."

Although leery about the turn of events, the patient drops his pants and bends over. The doctor peels the banana and with one deft motion rams it up the guy's butt. While the doctor consults his watch, our hero dances around the room shouting at the doctor.

"Okay, one minute is up, and we have to complete the second part of the treatment if your truly want to get rid of this tapeworm," advises the doc.

Despite the pain, the patient does want to be cured, so complies with the order to bend over again. Again, the doctor takes the cookie and rams it up the patients butt.

"Okay, tomorrow I want to see you here at the same time, and bring another banana and a cookie," says the doctor.

The now humbled patient, with tears of pain in his eyes, nods his head.

Next day, the same routine ensues. First the doctor rams up a banana, waits exactly one minute, then rams up a cookie. And the next day, and the next day and the next!! Every day UP goes a banana, wait one minute, then UP goes a cookie.

After one full week of treatments, the doctor finally says, "Well, tomorrow is the LAST day of treatments. I want you to bring in a banana and a hammer."

"Not a cookie?" asks the very frightened patient, trying to imagine what a hammer was going to feel like.

"Nope, a hammer," confirmed the doctor.

The last day the doctor says, "Okay, you know the routine".

So the man drops his pants and bends over. UP goes the banana, and the doctor looks at his watch and picks up the hammer. One minute passes. Then two minutes. Three. Four minutes pass.

Then a little head pokes out of the patients ass yelling, "WHERE'S MY COOKIE!?!"

Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 6:50 pm

I can eat a damn lot in 1 day (usually, only if it's pizza) and I won't gain any weight. It's just fast metabolism.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 1:09 pm

If you want a good friend, get a pet tapeworm. :lol:

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 2:05 pm

If you're healthy and eating well, then it shouldn't matter too much. We're all different and have different needs.

I'm borderline underweight (between 51-53kg, and 5'3), but I figure it's because I exercise regularly, only eat organic, natural foods (absolutely nothing processed or with chemical preservatives, additives, sweeteners, colours, flavours etc), and I only eat when I'm hungry, rather than just for the sake of eating.

I think a lot of standards these days are changing because people are often so obese and so terrified of being so. If you're healthy and have a good healthy diet then you're probably fine. :)

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 2:30 pm

Sora wrote:
But, yeah, I don't think I eat 'too much'. Because I'm not gaining any weight. Nothing.

When I eat less, just a little less, I lose another 2 pounds/1 kilo right away. Oops.

Hypermetabolism, I have this too. I can eat as much as I want and I don't gain a pound, and if ai do a little exercise, I lose pounds. I have had this all my life and everyone says I look tiny.

I am 5'11 and not long ago I was only 110 pounds. To gain weight I would work out, swim, play Dance Dance revolution, etc. I was able to gain 20 pounds of muscle weight, so at least I am now at a healthy weight.