Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 9:58 am

To quote Stephen Fry (who also has cyclothymia): "The mood is your own personal weather, and it's very like the weather: if you go outside and it's raining, it is real, you can't walk it off and suddenly it's sunny, the weather makes up its own mind... We all know that it can be a damn nuisance when it's raining, but the sun will come out... It will become incredibly sunny."

Hang in there :)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 10:09 am

Thanks for the positive wishes folks. I'm OK at the moment. That is the thing with cyclothymia - you can be fine for days, weeks or months then suddenly at rock bottom and suicidal with only a small trigger. Similarly with the highs, combined with Aspie special interests they can be really good times, living focussed on something and hardly sleeping due to the fascination and wonderment with the subject.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 10:41 am

Sounds a lot like me, I'm seeing a doctor soon because I probably have some sort of bipolar too. I know how all that feels, when you feel down just think of the good times and remember they will be back :)

slave
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 6:50 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Thanks for the positive wishes folks. I'm OK at the moment. That is the thing with cyclothymia - you can be fine for days, weeks or months then suddenly at rock bottom and suicidal with only a small trigger. Similarly with the highs, combined with Aspie special interests they can be really good times, living focussed on something and hardly sleeping due to the fascination and wonderment with the subject.

How often can you identify a trigger?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 8:01 am

slave wrote:

Sometimes, but on other occasions there is a sense of something being wrong that I can't put my finger on - almost a sense of dread or foreboding about things. I think the word "trigger" can be a bit misleading because it implies it is the cause of a sudden mood shift, whereas I think the brain/mind has already shifted in such a way as to predispose it to a small trigger having a disproportionate effect on mood.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2012, 7:34 pm

TallyMan wrote:
slave wrote:

Sometimes, but on other occasions there is a sense of something being wrong that I can't put my finger on - almost a sense of dread or foreboding about things. I think the word "trigger" can be a bit misleading because it implies it is the cause of a sudden mood shift, whereas I think the brain/mind has already shifted in such a way as to predispose it to a small trigger having a disproportionate effect on mood.

My cerebral Veterinarian has come to believe that each shift in mood is in response to a trigger. These triggers can be extremely subtle from sounds and smells to even bodily postures and so on. I don't know what to believe because I rarely sense a trigger although sometimes in hindsight I can see them.

:)

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 1:15 pm

I am glad to hear you are doing better.

I try to keep track of objective things like: how many hours I sleep, how often I eat etc., for me that sometimes helps to figure out if I am starting having a mood swing. I also listen to feedback from others. It doesn't always work, but my brain shifts mood and really don't know why until way after the fact. You might want to continue staying on a mood stabilizer though.