Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 10:42 pm

I know that hearing voices in your head is one of the signs of mental illness, especially schitzophrenia.

I don't know if this counts as that, but it's something about me that I think is really unusual and I wanted to know what people think of it?

Ever since I can remember I've had this thing where I think I hear my Mom calling my name, but when I go to check on her she swears she hasn't said anything. I'll be sitting in my bedroom doing something and all of a sudden I think I hear her calling my name in a muffled voice, so I rush out my room to see what she needs but sometimes either she was just talking and not calling me or not talking at all, sometimes I even hear her when she's not in the house.

What do you think could be the cause of this? Is this something normal or is it maybe a sign I might have something mentally wrong with me? I've been considering possabilities for things I might have other than Aspergers because I really think I have other problems in my mind too.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 12:24 am

i wouldn't call you schizophrenic if hearing your mom call your name is the only symptom.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 12:29 am

cathylynn wrote:
i wouldn't call you schizophrenic if hearing your mom call your name is the only symptom.

But isn't it strange that I do this almost every day and have done it since I was a kid? I think everybody might do something like this every now and then, but for me it's been a constant thing in my life. Maybe it has something to do with the relationship I have with my mother? I have secret resentment towards her but at the same time I feel strongly obligated to do what she wants, and when I think I hear her call my name I feel a panic that she might get angry with me if I don't respond to her right away. It's when I check on her, even when she tells me she hasn't said anything, that makes me feel better like the world isn't going to fall apart.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 12:40 am

i think you hit the nail on the head. it's probably to do with the relationship you have with your mother.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 12:44 am

cathylynn wrote:
i think you hit the nail on the head. it's probably to do with the relationship you have with your mother.

I guess you're right. Maybe the real problem with me is the relationship I have with my mother and that's what I should focus on. I think it's damaged me in a lot of ways having to deal with the stuff she's put me through since childhood. I want to talk to a doctor about it but I'm afraid that if I reveal all the stuff she's done to me that he will tell me I need to confront her about it, and I honestly feel that I would rather die than ever tell her what I really think of her.

lissy983
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Oct 2011, 12:46 am

I have that sort of thing happen to me a lot and I've even asked a psychiatrist about it. She said it was normal. What happens to me might be a bit different though. I usually hear things that I am expecting... or even feel things I expect. Like if i'm expecting a call and I have my phone on vibrate I will feel my phone vibrate but there will be no call. It use to freak me out when I worked at a store closing at night and I'd have the doors locked and I'd be counting my register and I'd keep thinking I was hearing the chime of the door when it opens. Its strange... and I have no idea how it could be normal. It doesn't happen to anyone else I know.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 12:49 am

lissy983 wrote:
I have that sort of thing happen to me a lot and I've even asked a psychiatrist about it. She said it was normal. What happens to me might be a bit different though. I usually hear things that I am expecting... or even feel things I expect. Like if i'm expecting a call and I have my phone on vibrate I will feel my phone vibrate but there will be no call. It use to freak me out when I worked at a store closing at night and I'd have the doors locked and I'd be counting my register and I'd keep thinking I was hearing the chime of the door when it opens. Its strange... and I have no idea how it could be normal. It doesn't happen to anyone else I know.

I actually do something similar with my cell phone. Many times I'll have my phone in my pocket and I will think I hear it ringing but when I take it out there's nothing on the phone. But the thing with hearing my Mom's voice calling me gets me more because I've done it since I was a kid and it really does sound like I'm hearing her voice call out to me that it's scary sometimes, especially when nobody else is in the house and there isn't a reason for the noise.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 1:12 am

GreySun369 wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

I guess you're right. Maybe the real problem with me is the relationship I have with my mother and that's what I should focus on. I think it's damaged me in a lot of ways having to deal with the stuff she's put me through since childhood. I want to talk to a doctor about it but I'm afraid that if I reveal all the stuff she's done to me that he will tell me I need to confront her about it, and I honestly feel that I would rather die than ever tell her what I really think of her.

maybe you can find a way to talk to your mom that respects both you and her. you know, the assertive style - "i felt _______ when you _______." you don't have to say that you hate her or call her names, but it's totally fair and self-esteem-promoting to let others know how you'd like to be treated.

just because i or your psychiatrist thinks you should confront your mom doesn't mean you have to. you know best what is safe and comfortable for you. getting your feelings off your chest, either here or with a psychiatrist or both, is positive, even if you never take any other action about the situation.

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2011, 4:56 pm

This might be of interest:

Hearing Voices in the Normal Population

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 4:11 pm

I sometimes hear people say things they did not say and I think random, non-human noises are voices sometimes.

I don't hear voices proper because that did happen to me once when I was under the influence; that was totally different.

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2011, 2:16 pm

If you have Audio processing disorder your brain could be associating unfamiliar sounds to a familiar one. I have this problem in noisy places.

Hope8
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2011, 2:17 pm

I read that hearing someone call your name when no one did is a sensory issue. I have had it happen before also. =)