Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 6:19 pm

In my hearing today this came up....my attorney requested a medical expert to testify and basically summarize what all the medical records say. And he mentioned that particular disorder, I was kinda stressed during it so I don't know if he said I had an actual 'diagnoses' or enough symptoms for a potential diagnoses.

Either way it may be something to look into....but those symptoms could be explained by social anxiety, or just the combination of the autism and everything else so I suppose I'd want a professional opinion. From what I saw I essentially do have all the symptoms, but I can't make a valid diagnoses obviously.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 9:19 pm

people with avoidant personality disorder fear failure so much they never try unless they know they will do well. they are always under-employed if employed at all. the slightest criticism and it's over for them. people with social phobia also fear criticism, but it's the embarrassment they worry about. people with obsessive compulsive personality disorder can't tolerate anything unless it's perfect, so often don't try. these would be the things I'd look into if someone told me I had avoidant personality disorder.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 9:49 pm

If I was to choose a mate, I'd make sure they had some kind of defect, this way they'd be unwanted by the general population and would be less likely to reject me. In any case, I barely go out except for grocery shopping or making an appointment somewhere. My self esteem is in the basement and it really seems like there's no hope. Sometimes I don't even know why I bother.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2014, 10:08 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
If I was to choose a mate, I'd make sure they had some kind of defect, this way they'd be unwanted by the general population and would be less likely to reject me. In any case, I barely go out except for grocery shopping or making an appointment somewhere. My self esteem is in the basement and it really seems like there's no hope. Sometimes I don't even know why I bother.

I don't really go out unless I am quite convinced it will go well...but I avoid going out if I think it will prove to be uncomfortable, or if I am worried it could end up becoming a humiliating situation.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2014, 1:35 am

cathylynn wrote:
people with avoidant personality disorder fear failure so much they never try unless they know they will do well.

I have avoidant personality traits listed as deferred on my psychological evaluation and I honestly don't think I have a personality disorder. I attribute them to my social anxiety disorder and nonverbal learning disability. A huge issue with NLD is that we fear failure and I fit that well.