Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

is weeping at the fate of unfortunate objects a sign of mental illness?
YES :x that's just crazy, man. :roll: 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
NO, those poor things! :cry: 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
I am not sure. :shrug: 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
i'm hungry for ice cream! :chef: 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 11:49 pm

(warning, 1/2 hour long video) seeing the fate of this poor neglected automobile made me bawl like a baby :cry: anybody else here have this *quasi-stendahl's syndrome thing going on in their heads when they see stuff like this? neglect is sad. :( people and animals are neglected also and that is even sadder. :( :( anybody else here experience these intense feelings on a regular basis? are we mentally ill?

*stendahl's syndrome is a psychological disorder where people experience exaggerated quasi-psycho-somatic responses to superficially neutral stimuli such as seeing magnanimous behavior of living things to one another, or witnessing beautiful [or psychologically resonant] natural/environmental phenomena, great art and music.

p.s. that poor car eventually blew a key bearing and ended up in the car graveyard. :(

B19
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 12:40 am

The other day I was suddenly confronted with unexpected and terrible animal abuse suddenly shown on tv which affected my ability to sleep for a week and made me burst into tears. Also I had to stop assisting a website for lost stolen and abused animals because of the severe impacts on my own well being. I don't think it's mental illness per se though I have reached a critical mass point and cannot bear these exposures anymore. They make me want to leave the planet.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 1:42 am

it is like this world, this earth, is a harsh hellworld and we are not sufficiently calloused to it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Mar 2017, 1:43 am

I think it depends on if it's related to an underlying disorder like depression.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 1:44 am

nick007 wrote:
I think it depends on if it's related to an underlying disorder like depression.

even before I was depressed/dysthymic, I have always had a soft spot like this.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Mar 2017, 1:48 am

auntblabby wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I think you may be naturally a more sensitive person in some ways.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 2:23 am

nick007 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I think you may be naturally a more sensitive person in some ways.

in some ways i'm more sensitive and in some other ways I'm more callous. no rhyme nor reason to it, though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 2:45 pm

Doesn't really seem like mental illness to me...

I've cried over things I've broke and such like plenty of times...one time in my later teen years I was home sick from school and laying on a couch trying to drink a cup of tea. Well I accidentally lost my grip on the tea and spilled it on myself...and sure it isn't a staining liquid and easy to clean up, and get another cup but nonetheless I cried and was upset for like a half hour because it just seemed so cruel that would happen when I was trying to enjoy some soothing tea while sick.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 5:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Me too. And more so as I get older. It is almost impossible to watch the tv news now because of the visible, terrible suffering on the faces of harmed and terrorised Syrian infants and other innocent victims. There are days when I am ashamed to be a member of the human species. The callous indifference of the perpetrators distresses me as much as the carnage they perpetrate for their own ends. It's very hard not to hate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 7:34 pm

B19 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
nick007 wrote:

Me too. And more so as I get older. It is almost impossible to watch the tv news now because of the visible, terrible suffering on the faces of harmed and terrorised Syrian infants and other innocent victims. There are days when I am ashamed to be a member of the human species. The callous indifference of the perpetrators distresses me as much as the carnage they perpetrate for their own ends. It's very hard not to hate.

why not just hate them? just for a bit. to never hate ever seems superhuman to me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 7:36 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Doesn't really seem like mental illness to me...

I've cried over things I've broke and such like plenty of times...one time in my later teen years I was home sick from school and laying on a couch trying to drink a cup of tea. Well I accidentally lost my grip on the tea and spilled it on myself...and sure it isn't a staining liquid and easy to clean up, and get another cup but nonetheless I cried and was upset for like a half hour because it just seemed so cruel that would happen when I was trying to enjoy some soothing tea while sick.

that IS a cruel bit of fate. that would make me wanna break stuff.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 7:46 pm

(Hiya Auntblabby - I've been otherwise diverted for a couple of months, but back now).

The most powerful this got for me was as a kid. On buses in the days when we had conductors to collect fares, the conductors would sometimes give kids rolls of unprinted tickets (this is back in the early 60's, and I wonder if the conductors themselves might have been on the scale, as the blank ticket rolls were given with a certain knowing je ne sais qua which may have had that common bus enthusiasm in it).

Anyway, further to the excitement of having a blank ticket roll, on the back of this particular bus company's tickets was a graph pattern, and I think we all know where that can lead.

Suffice it to say that soon my usual habit of putting my used ticket in the bin at the destination bus stop was overwhelmed in waves of sick sudden morbid sorrow at the poor ticket's fate. I ended up with a collection of them, then this passed.

Funerals for dead birds was another thing of mine - I may have been a mad child.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 7:50 pm

I do this. I have been wondering if it is related to being treated badly as a child. Sort of a projection of how I feel about myself onto the objects/living things.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 7:59 pm

In my case can't see past the wondering to any evidence of neglect / mistreatment or if it was a childhood schizoid state.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 8:31 pm

Alexanderplatz wrote:
In my case can't see past the wondering to any evidence of neglect / mistreatment or if it was a childhood schizoid state.

you have a good heart :heart: interesting that you mentioned schizoid, I was dx'ed as a child, depending on the shrink, on schizoid PD vs. schizotypal PD.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 9:00 pm

I have read of asperger's / HFA having been described as "mad child disease" by a doctor in the past, and also vaguely recall that at one point it was dx'd as Childhood Schizophrenia.

Personally, and I do tend to look on the dark side of things, I think it best not to recoil from these old fashioned terms but rather attempt to reconstruct what they may have meant at the time.

Quickly flying to the edges of my lack of expertise, I believe several different things can cause aspergeroid symptoms, and whilst I have little idea what influence neglect / mistreatment has on the mental state of kids (if any at all), I do know full well what variety of ballocks Brutal Bastardheim purveyed and react against it with every fibre of my being.