Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:27 pm

Hi, I'm watching Dexter - tv psychopath. My degree is actually in criminal psychology and some of my professors had differing views on this, but I always thought that it was a myth that psychopaths have no feelings. I know some lawyers who have defended a few and it seems that they are able to care about people in their own lives and sometimes others.

Are there any psychopaths here that can answer? Thanks!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:29 pm

What makes you think that Aspies might be Psychopaths?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 8:37 pm

I don't, that's why I posted this question in the Other Disorders forum.

I think I have seen some posters on the forum who have said they are diagnosed as psychopaths.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:39 pm

Most Aspies are NOT socio-psychopaths, based on any theory of socio-psychopathy.

I think the Aspie/socio-psychopathic notion is related to the theory that Aspies "lack empathy."

I find that to be an erroneous notion. Maybe Aspies have a "disorder" in feeling/expressing empathy--but to say that they "lack" it is ridiculous.

Many adolescents/young adults, including Aspies, are constantly testing boundaries. They frequently explore how it feels to be nihilistic/anarchistic. Part of that includes explorations in their potential to be psychopaths. You see lots of that on WrongPlanet.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:48 pm

Oh Good Lord, I don't think Aspies are psychopaths. Just let them answer the question, if there are any here and they will be so kind.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 9:58 pm

LOL....now that would be interesting.

freakingmauchgen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2015, 10:40 pm

I am a psychopath. I can tell you, we really don't feel anything. Nothing. But we learn at a young age how to imitate and act out "normal" emotions and actions.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 5:08 am

Maybe you've heard of this guy:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:36 am

He looks like he doesn't bathe too often.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 8:06 am

I've known a couple of psychopaths.

Of course, I can't speak as someone who *is* a psychopath, but on having many personal interactions with these two (men) and having lived with one of them, it seems to me they can have feelings. However, their feelings are very, very selfish. In other words, they only had feelings when something affected them personally. They didn't care how another felt.

Where it seemed they had no "feelings" was in regard to an unbelievable lack of guilt/remorse.

A disclaimer: I do not think either of these men was diagnosed (but one of them might have been, unknown to me.) However, they are the only two people I have ever known in my life that I would even consider putting in this category, and all the articles I have ever read match up. The one I lived with definitely did the things like harming animals, even as a teenager.

bearded1
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2015, 8:21 am

I believe everyone has feelings. However in a psychopath something in life has gone horribly wrong with them. I don't understand how someone could not have respect for anyone especially with the importance of the value of life. I think maybe with them it is the power of having the choice of taking someones life.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 5:10 am

Actually you cannot tell a true pschopath from any other pyschopathy.

A really good pyschopath by definition should be succesful at being one, and hence be able to mimmick all states around all people, from multiple angles.

ie. It takes one to know one.

A pyschiatrist is actually what I consider to be a dumb pyschopath: one that relies on the pattern developed through the ages to procur the system that is pyschiatry. (They are drone style pyschopaths: very easy too mimmick and reverse engineer)

Ultra pyscho-paths you will not know of, they are well and truly invisible, and are so good they can utilise mob mentality to get work done for them. Pyschopaths that are visible are usually just people that want "pathetic" goals in life. eg. Being in perfect control over others.

Personally when I see people doing this I just leave.
Sadly a pyschopath is also a parent (they have tobe in order to raise children as they deem fit).
a Parent that is monetarily strapped, may seem like a pyschopath to an external observer... but really what choice does the parent have.

There are actually more pyschopaths than humblepaths on the planet.
Humblepaths are ones that sacrifice thier own "needs", in a manner that rewards their bleeding hearts.

...In other words we are ALL pyschopaths.
I think a new word needs to be invented for people that are addicted to needing to have dominion over at least one other person throughout their lives in order to feel whole. I suggest bastard or b***h.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 5:34 pm

I'm not sure psychopaths are that broad. It depends on the definition.

If you get the big version of the DSM-5 (which I was able to get on Google Play for $17), you can look toward the end at the alternative model for personality disorders. Here, the DSM actually defines psychopathy.

For antisocial personality disorder, which is characterized by enduring criminal and unethical behavior and behavior that violates the rights of others, there is a trait specifier on that alternative model: With psychopathic features. Psychopathy in this DSM model is defined as antisocial personality disorder plus a bold, effective interpersonal style and a lack of fear and anxiety. That makes for a dangerous person, I think.

agwood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2015, 5:40 pm

wozeree wrote:
Hi, I'm watching Dexter - tv psychopath. My degree is actually in criminal psychology and some of my professors had differing views on this, but I always thought that it was a myth that psychopaths have no feelings. I know some lawyers who have defended a few and it seems that they are able to care about people in their own lives and sometimes others.

Are there any psychopaths here that can answer? Thanks!

They do, but as Robert Hare put it ''the signals come through dimly''. So they cope by justifying their actions.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2015, 5:16 am

beneficii wrote:

The DSM criteria is WRITTEN by Pyschopaths. By DSM criteria the writer of the DSM is in effect a psychopath himself.
The bueaty of a book written by multiple entities is that no-one individual can take the responsibility.

Mob Mentality is not just restricted too riots and forum flame wars....the best pyschopaths are the ones getting paid for and telling everyone else that they are the pyschopaths.

The DSM is much like a modern bible that only a select range of people read...watching todays day and age is like watching the middle ages when only the preists would read and preach...today the new bible is simply the new american dsm 5. The difference today is that rather than turning upto a church because you are convinced , the dsm and the intstitute force followers...and communion is not eating from the priest(Jesus), its supplying tainted drug money too the chemists.

alomoes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2015, 9:18 pm

As an aspie, just read through and confirmed it, it sometimes feels like I have no feelings, or seems like it, but then that really sad story makes me cry.

As a note, people who don't feel probably do exist. People who do feel, but feel "wrong" in a sense also likely exist.