Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Venerab1e1
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2012, 9:09 pm

I have schizophrenia and I usually sleep at least 14 hours a day. I don't usually wake up until 3 in the afternoon if not later. I take 7.5 mg of haloperidol and 150 mg of zoloft at night time. I'm not depressed at the moment although I do get depressed every once in a while. Is this normal? Or does anybody else do this?

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 9:51 pm

Venerab1e1 wrote:
I have schizophrenia and I usually sleep at least 14 hours a day. I don't usually wake up until 3 in the afternoon if not later. I take 7.5 mg of haloperidol and 150 mg of zoloft at night time. I'm not depressed at the moment although I do get depressed every once in a while. Is this normal? Or does anybody else do this?

It's totally normal to be extremely tired from antipsychotics. Even depression can be a medication side effect. Depression can also be enhanced by negative symptoms like anhedonia, and lack of motivation. It's very normal to have depression with schizophrenia, just as much as it is with bipolar.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 12:38 am

I take anti psychotics and I sleep when I don't have something planned in the morning between 12-14 hours a day. Anti psychotics cause tiredness. When I had to take Loxapine (my anti psychotic) in the morning as well as night, I slept up to 18 hours a day! I would go to sleep at 10pm and then get up at between 10 am- 12 pm and then go back to sleep 3-4 more hours after lunch. I begged my psychiatrist to take me off the morning dose. It took awhile but she finally did take me off of it. I am tired all day long even after sleeping a long time. Even when I sleep a normal amount that people are supposed to sleep I feel tired. Even when I slept the 18 hours I felt tired. It doesn't matter how much sleep I get. If I wasn't busy all day long I would just sleep all the time. Oh by the way my diagnosis is schizoaffective disorder bipolar type. My bipolar is mainly depressions. Rare to have mania. So, if you are taking anti psychotics it is very possible to be sleeping that long.