Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2012, 6:38 pm

My problems keep adding up so I'm starting to think I have 'something'.
-Feeling 'empty', multiple depressions <20 yrs diagnosed when I was 16
-Self-harming by cutting 15-19 and a phase of drinking alcohol at home to forget at 18
-Hearing voices overday (or mistaking sounds for voices, never knew which of the two) with a peak from 13-15 yrs
-Believing to have paranormal powers 12-15 yrs, strongly interested in telepathy, telekinesis, ghosts ('sense' them), believing I could make things happen
-On the edge of having anorexia but they found out in time and helped (16 yrs)
-Obsession, most of the times about one single person, extreme dependance, most of the times also falling in love
-Not knowing how to act in public thus shutting down, except for people I trust and know for more than +-2 years
-Extremely naive until taught not to be (being taken advantage of, people making up stories,..)
-learn things like how to ride a bike and tie shoelaces >8 yrs, though considered really smart (when I'm interested) and talented during childhood (talented on multiple artistics fields >15yrs).
-No sense of identity "don't know who I am", feeling of having to act >11 yrs
-Androgynous look/behaviour >6 yrs, even transgender from 9-12 yrs old; wearing the same clothes for a long time, going outside without having had a shower for a couple of days <18yrs
-Considered really socially awkward/shy/weird/special when started in high school, but having friends throughout elementary school, never been bullied for being weird except when 15-16. alcohol makes me sliiightly more social but then I'm still more shy than the average sober person). people think I'm a geek for building (simple) websites when I was 8, loved drawing/computergames more than the average person and was really good at it, didn't like games like hide and seek (but I did play along). I also tend to get obsessed about a band and its lead singer, I call it being a very passionate fan but people around me call it an obsession. Always had a couple of friends but never a love life. Don't like social things like parties but sometimes I have to go in order to see good friends again.
-Still acting and looking like someone who's 5 years younger, "not wanting to grow up" This scared me a lot the past year because I'm getting into the phase of learning how to drive/college/working/... I HATE to have responsibility and I don't have it at all, I mess up every time I get the chance
-Serious lack of motivation regarding school, work, money, household; no routine at all
-Giving the impression of not being interested (friendship/love) when I am in social situations
-Have suffered multiple times from insomnia, occasional cases of sleep paralysis >15yrs, sleeping through the day when I was 16, going to sleep at 04h30 being slightly scared (right now)
-Played with dead animals, 'testing' if I was cruel enough to harm animals/insects <10 yrs
-Hyperventilation due to being scared/forced to do things I was scared of when I knew it was actually safe (mostly in PE; I hated PE) 11-19 yrs; now I don't hyperventilate anymore (cause people don't force me to do things anymore - I think I would still be able to have it) but now and then get panic attacks for no apparent reason.
-Being scared at parties, strongly dislike the crowd/the noise and having to get out of it when it gets too much, then I feel bad and sometimes cry/breathe faster/panic
-Trouble with talking about feelings, except for 1 person
-Feeling worthless(>15yrs), different(>8yrs), less than other people(>11yrs), socially inept(>14yrs),
-At times I feel good I'm louder than an average person (singing loud in public, acting 'weird')
-Stubborn, not willing to go over my personal boundaries (PE in elementary school for example - ended up in crying/running away/getting mad/panic attack), dislike being touched/hugged/... but that only started during elementary school
-Shutting down when stressed, extreme need of praise, not being the best gets me demotivated
-Continuously being slightly scared/stressed/not knowing how to act. Weed sometimes triggers a panic attack
-I love to be at home - usually I only go outside (by free will) to meet my 2 best friends. I do meet other friends but this is only once a month maybe, or when they 'force' me. Preferably in my room with the curtains closed
-Really emotionally sensitive, by example, I felt bad for 2 years about losing friends I have known for just 5 months. Feeling hurt very quickly. Physically sensitive: complaining about backache as a kid, allergic rhinitis, shower gels making me itchy, crying when someone's brushing my hair, sneezing a lot

I'm thinking about going to a therapist but now I just wonder. or is this normal?

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2012, 7:20 pm

Depression is quite commonplace, and the self-harm seems to suggest it was quite a severe patch. But I'm more concerned about you hearing voices (and the paranormal stuff about sensing ghosts, which is often part of the same condition). That is NOT normal. Auditory hallucinations can be a symptom of schizophrenia, and they aren't exactly a good sign even if it isn't that.

Getting yourself checked out and a proper diagnosis in place is recommended. I can't guarantee an easy fix for most or even any of these things you've listed, but a course of tablets (or two) could well improve your life enormously.