Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 11:53 am

Mentally ill people who commit serious cirmes like murder as a result of bipolar rage or schizophrenia or any other type of crime seem too get punished in the same way someone who commits a serious crime for fun?

From what i have observed about the goverment is that it cannot be bothered too get the proper medical help for these mentally unstable people and just chooses too throw them in jail for the rest of there lives. if anything the goverment should be the one that should be punished because it does not provide these people with the help they need so the serious crimes like murder are not commited in the first place. It's almost like the goverment just wants too remove these people from society and not give them the chance too live a good quality of life. Disgusting if you ask me.

Rainy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2012, 11:58 am

This might be news to you, but having a mental illness does not give you the privilege to murder people and not be punished for it.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 12:00 pm

Rainy wrote:
This might be news to you, but having a mental illness does not give you the privilege to murder people and not be punished for it.

Be careful how you repsond you can get in trouble again.

Rainy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm

Joker wrote:
Rainy wrote:

And yet you can freely go around sprouting hate against neurotypicals. Interesting.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 12:04 pm

Rainy wrote:
Joker wrote:
Rainy wrote:

And yet you can freely go around sprouting hate against neurotypicals. Interesting.

But did I get in trouble for it um no but you did ha :lol:

Rainy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2012, 12:15 pm

Right... I'm going to do what I should have done a long time ago and just ignore you.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 12:16 pm

Rainy wrote:
Right... I'm going to do what I should have done a long time ago and just ignore you.

Good that is very mature of you.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 12:27 pm

The standards for deciding that someone is not guilty by reason of insanity are far more stringent than those for deciding someone is insane (in the US made more so because people were mad that Reagan's shooter wasn't found criminally responsible). The result is that many mentally ill people are ruled to be criminally responsible and many in the US, since they have trouble with prison rules, end up in the mass torture facilities called supermaxes that are designed to make people insane to begin with. Yes, the US goes out of its way to make people insane as part of its so-called corrections system. The mass doling of insanity is a novelty to say the least.

G9inWonderland
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2012, 1:16 pm

Murder is murder...
Just like a kid who was texting while driving and ends up killing someone is still concidered murder.
A car is as much a weapon as a blade of gun.

I do agree however the punishment for Mentally ill (if already diagnosed, not claiming insanity to get out of something) Should be handled a different way. For example a mental hospital with the proper meds, drs, and restraints if needed.
Maybe even a prison made for the mental.

I don't think it's the Gorvernment is to blame. Lack of knowledge is to blame.
Usually the mentally ill don't wave around their issues for all to see...
Neurotypicals will however use mental illness as an excuse to try and get away with things.

Lawyers, police, Judges, Jury... ALL need more education on the subject.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 11 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
You don't say...

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2012, 1:41 pm

I think what the poster is trying to say is that government should have better controls in place to recognize and help the mentally ill before they get to the point of murdering someone.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 3:29 pm

if a person is so out of it that they don't know what they are doing is wrong, they should be helped, not punished.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 5:16 pm

I agree. But by the same token, if I get jumped or robbed by someone and he shouts, "I'm mentally ill!" he still won't be spared my wrath. The criminal justice system is a pendulum which swings, every 100 years or so, between punishment and corrections (rehabilitation). Seeing as we're in financial straits these days, the prisons are in punishment mode.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 6:25 pm

Rainy wrote:

This. The point of laws is to protect the innocent, not to pamper the violent, whether they're violent due to a mental illness or another reason. Keeping a violent person from hurting others again is important. However, I like to think they would also get treatment for the mental illness. I believe in humane treatment of all prisoners.

Rainy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2012, 8:48 am

G9inWonderland wrote:
Murder is murder...
Murder is murder...
Just like a kid who was texting while driving and ends up killing someone is still concidered murder.

I suggest you educate yourself on the difference between murder and manslaughter. Also, what does "a car is as much a weapon as a blade or a gun" have to do with mentally ill murderers?

Quote:
if a person is so out of it that they don't know what they are doing is wrong, they should be helped, not punished.

If a person is that insane, I suggest euthanization.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

Rainy wrote:
G9inWonderland wrote:
Murder is murder...
Murder is murder...

I suggest you educate yourself on the difference between murder and manslaughter...

It's motor vehicle homicide according to at least one American state. See here.

Snarking on this forum is not really the best idea, you know.

G9inWonderland
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2012, 6:17 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
Rainy wrote:
G9inWonderland wrote:
Murder is murder...

I suggest you educate yourself on the difference between murder and manslaughter...

It's motor vehicle homicide according to at least one American state. See here.

Snarking on this forum is not really the best idea, you know.

Thank you! I'm from NY, that MA case was well known here.
I held myself back from commenting back to Rainy. I dislike dealing with people whos intent is to put other people (ideas) down.
I don't get why people feel the need to be so rude if they have different views and opinions.

I know the difference between Murder and manslaughter... The difference is intent.

If anything I need to change my wording to: Killing is killing.. not murder is murder.
I didn't think I needed to be so cautious of what I write on this site.

As for "what does "a car is as much a weapon as a blade or a gun" have to do with mentally ill murderers?" Just stating a fact. I've heard of many cases where a mentally ill person runs down the victim with their car after "snapping".

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 11 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
You don't say...