Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jun 2012, 4:06 pm

I've probably done alot of these posts;however I've found more about myself and my problem regarding maths.

I find it hard to do any problem solving really when it's verbalized.
It has to be visually abstract or a problem I can process visually.
That's how I found out why I exceed at understanding the concepts;however trying to apply very difficult.
It's really stupid when I'm getting high marks in subjects that involve alot of maths like Chemistry and Physics and coming out with poor grades in maths because of this some sort of verbal difficulty I have.

For Example:

Period 1 has 15 students in it and a test average of 86%
Period 2 has 21 students in it and an average of 88%.
Period 3 has 12 students in it and an average of 95%.
Use weighted means to find the overall average of the classes.

I find something like this really hard to process and work out.

But chemistry equations, I'm fine?

Is there anyway I can cope with my problem? I can only solve these type of questions when someone gives me a hint on the first step or what the questions really means.

With these type of questions I have problems processing the intentions of purpose it wants me to do.

But, when it's abstract+ numbers+ visual= I'M A BEAST.

I really don't get why I have such a problem with these type of questions???

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 12:10 pm

Do you have difficulties processing all types of verbal information? It may just be that your mind is not geared to comprehend matters through a verbal context. Maybe word problems and verbal phrasings are like FM radio waves to you, while you may happen to be an AM wave reader. Perhaps your verbal IQ is much lower than your performance/logical IQ--a bit of the opposite of Non-verbal Learning Disorder.

Is it possible for you to re-write the question in a way that makes sense to you? Can you make it into a chart, and then work from there?
Or is it that the verbal format is so difficult for you to comprehend that it becomes impossible to make any sense of?
If the latter is the case, then you may need to explain your specific difficulties to your teacher and ask them to put it in a chart/visual/mathematical format for you.

Best of luck to you in school and in life!

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2012, 3:16 pm

WerewolfPoet wrote:
Do you have difficulties processing all types of verbal information? It may just be that your mind is not geared to comprehend matters through a verbal context. Maybe word problems and verbal phrasings are like FM radio waves to you, while you may happen to be an AM wave reader. Perhaps your verbal IQ is much lower than your performance/logical IQ--a bit of the opposite of Non-verbal Learning Disorder.

Is it possible for you to re-write the question in a way that makes sense to you? Can you make it into a chart, and then work from there?
Or is it that the verbal format is so difficult for you to comprehend that it becomes impossible to make any sense of?
If the latter is the case, then you may need to explain your specific difficulties to your teacher and ask them to put it in a chart/visual/mathematical format for you.

Best of luck to you in school and in life!

Mainly expression.

I think verbal questions are trying to express a point and it's hard for me to pick up.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 1:30 am

NateRiver wrote:
I've probably done alot of these posts;however I've found more about myself and my problem regarding maths.

That's how I found out why I exceed at understanding the concepts;however trying to apply very difficult.
It's really stupid when I'm getting high marks in subjects that involve alot of maths like Chemistry and Physics and coming out with poor grades in maths because of this some sort of verbal difficulty I have.

For Example:

Is there anyway I can cope with my problem? I can only solve these type of questions when someone gives me a hint on the first step or what the questions really means.

With these type of questions I have problems processing the intentions of purpose it wants me to do.

Try rereading it until you understand it. If that doesn't work, try picking out the key parts of the problem (like numbers or facts). In the problem you posted the weighted average is the key part of the problem. You can visually see this as an equation that is a linear combination of the data given. Then apply this formula to the problem given. Works every time. You could also try rewriting into a language you understand. I frequently do this. I find it harder when problems use words because I get confused by their meaning. Sometimes I'm too logical/literal for even math.

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2012, 11:34 am

bizboy1 wrote:
NateRiver wrote:

For Example:

Try rereading it until you understand it. If that doesn't work, try picking out the key parts of the problem (like numbers or facts). In the problem you posted the weighted average is the key part of the problem. You can visually see this as an equation that is a linear combination of the data given. Then apply this formula to the problem given. Works every time. You could also try rewriting into a language you understand. I frequently do this. I find it harder when problems use words because I get confused by their meaning. Sometimes I'm too logical/literal for even math.

I also found out I make so many stupid mistakes it's ridiculous. I understand what to do but I make so many errors I mostly all the time get the wrong answer?

How do I fix that?

It takes a long time for me in tests because of the time limit so I barely get all the questions done

BreezeGod
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2012, 4:05 pm

Quote:

Maybe the math concepts in your math class are just more advanced.

The majority of problems in chemistry and physics are word problems, so if you're having verbal issues, then it should be those two classes that you're having trouble with.

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2012, 3:08 pm

BreezeGod wrote:
Quote:

Maybe the math concepts in your math class are just more advanced.

The majority of problems in chemistry and physics are word problems, so if you're having verbal issues, then it should be those two classes that you're having trouble with.

Physics and Chemistry I'm fine o. o. I just find alot in my maths class we do alot of calculating and its something I struggle with.

stupideffingyoshi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2012, 5:36 am

Do you have Discalculia ? It's a disability common with people with Fragile X Syndrome....

I'm not sure I spelled it right but I think that's what it's called....

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jul 2012, 7:12 am

stupideffingyoshi wrote:
Do you have Discalculia ? It's a disability common with people with Fragile X Syndrome....

I'm not sure I spelled it right but I think that's what it's called....

I think I do have dyscalculia. It would make sense because of my auditory processing difficulties and that the part of the brain where it recognizes symbols/math is near the temporal lobes. The temporal lobes deal with laterality and auditory processing which I have problems with.

BreezeGod
Raven
Raven

07 Jul 2012, 4:37 pm

Perhaps the math concepts you use in an actual math class are simply much more difficult than the math concepts you use in physics or chemistry.

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 4:03 pm

I have similar problems, although my problems have more to do with learning new notation in math class. I had a lot of trouble getting used to the idea that x is a number in algebra class, but once I got it all the problems became trivial. Now I'm trying to learn tensor calculus on my own and so far I've tried 3 times but I just don't get it. It's kind of frustrating that no one in the whole world seems to be interested in putting something online or in a textbook that gives an example problem. I don't get anything unless I can think of a real life example, which is causing problems in the higher level math I'm doing now.

I once tutored a guy in a physics class a semester behind me and I noticed that I wasn't able to understand anything he said unless I wrote it down and he wasn't able to understand anything I wrote unless he spoke out loud. You might try figuring out which representation of the problem is most comfortable to you and then try to translate it before you start the problem.

With the example problem you gave you could just try writing out only the numbers in some sort of organized way to see if it makes it easier for you to understand, like maybe

15 * 0.86
21 * 0.87
12 * 0.95

If you're interested in physics or chemistry after High School then you're eventually going to have to get used to the idea of units because they do matter. I don't know if units distract you in the same way that verbal problems do.

What would probably be best would be if somebody sat down with you so that he could react on a real-time basis to your questions. All in all I would just keep trying different things over and over again and try to figure out which one works best.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2012, 3:15 am

NateRiver wrote:

For Example:

You struggle with word problems. I recall during my college algebra class, the instructor focused on teaching is how to set up word problems.

The key is, to identify your data, and what you are to do with it, and toss out what is irrelevant. For example, in the problem above, the period of each class is irrelevant.

BreezeGod
Raven
Raven

21 Jul 2012, 3:44 am

If you struggle with word problems, then you should be having trouble in chemistry and physics instead of math. All math related problems in chemistry and physics are word problems, while most problems in math are not.

poker_face
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2012, 3:30 am

I sometimes have problems processing verbal info, my verbal IQ is higher (above average) than my performance IQ. However my working memory is really bad so I have problems sometimes keeping all the bits of info that are needed for the question in my mind. Also it seems to affect my ability to think linearly. If you had a test done you could see your problem areas (there are IQ tests on the net that break it down for you and tell you what areas you are good at and where you struggle).