Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 12:42 pm

A general practitioner told me that she thinks my child has Tourettes after seeing (one visit) the degree of difficulty he/she has speaking. (during a speech block my child's fingers will sometimes move a little and face contorts a bit)
The doctor recommended we go to a neurologist. Even went so far as to have the neurologist's office call us. But I have never heard that someone with no other symptoms of Tourettes could have it solely due to stuttering. And when I looked up this neurologist, every single review of him was that he was an absolute quack, who shoves pills at people.
Any one who has some knowledge here I'd really appreciate it if you'd give your reaction to this. I am being pushed to medicate my child for Tourettes, (on the basis of this doc meeting us one time!) and I don't think it's a valid assessment.

tourettebassist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2012, 1:44 pm

I have Tourette's AND I used to stutter and stammer. I don't know if I can relate the two, but I lived in Europe for a dozen years and had to speak slower and more articulate to be understood. I have not stuttered since. Perhaps your child needs to slow up, formulate what's to be said, and think about what's being said. Dunno ? But that's how I stopped stuttering.. Wikipedia has a long article on 'stuttering' I see

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 2:27 pm

Thank you. Maybe if I got her/him a language teacher, I mean if he/she was to learn a new language it might help with speech in general. hmm. I'm going to look into that.

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2012, 3:14 pm

I have Tourette's, and this doesn't necessarily sound like Tourette's. S/he probably just has a stutter and is trying to concentrate on not stuttering. Maybe find a speech-language pathologist? Whatever the case, definitely do not medicate your child if you don't agree with the treatment.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 3:16 pm

I have Tourettes and also stutter under stress, but they are deffinitly two seperate disorders.

Let your child get checked again.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2012, 4:07 pm

Stuttering can be a tic...

gretchyn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2012, 4:24 pm

idratherbeatree wrote:

It can, but there are also criteria for Tourette's. One tic does not Tourette's make... :wink: The best thing to do is for the OP to see the professional of his/her choice (though maybe not the one that was suggested, since he sounds suspect).

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 4:30 pm

idratherbeatree wrote:

Yes, but vocal tics without motor tics are EXTREMLY rare, even studies just found some rare cases.
Motor tics are far more common.