Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 10:54 am

I come across this term when i googling about AS

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2010/10/0 ... l-illness/

Does independent thinking is crime, I am a man of very conciliatory and peaceful, but it made ​​me very angry when someone qualifies, free will or nonconformism as a mental illness, :evil:
Does Einstein was crazy???

The Soviets already tried this, recognize anyone who did not agree with their ideology as crazy.

I know that some countries use force medication, if some one try to force medicate me i will make him or her acute lead poisoning :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2013, 1:57 am

That article is filled with misinformation and horriblly written.

RawSugar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Feb 2013, 2:06 am

Schizpergers wrote:

QFT.

Oppositional Defiant Disorder is a recognizable pattern of behaviour that presents as defiance/hostility/disobedience towards authority figures. It is nothing like "free thinking" (as you phrased it), and shows more as a resentment, spite, poor temperment, inability to follow directions, and inability to take responsibility for ones own actions. This leads to poor relationship quality not only with authority figures, but also with similar aged persons. There are currently studies being conducted that link ODD with Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

15 Feb 2013, 8:00 am

I had something like this when I was younger (and then one year ago, it came back when I was on Zoloft). I'm not sure if it was ODD or Anti-Social Personality Disorder. It was more a hostility to peers than authority figures, however.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 8:39 am

I have a pending diagnosis of oppositional defiant disorder. The shrinks say that "I very likely have it", they should definitely decide whether to diagnose me with it or not this year, or maybe next year.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 8:44 am

RawSugar wrote:
Schizpergers wrote:

QFT.

This leads to poor relationship quality not only with authority figures, but also with similar aged persons. There are currently studies being conducted that link ODD with Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Antisocial Personality Disorder.

And why person should has to respect someone whom does not like and what in this is in anti-social.
Is like Dr. Gregory house from House MD, oh it may not the best example.

As for authority figure does if that authority figure have less intelligent and play authority card, i think should be remembered who is more intelligent :D

b9
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 9:23 am

Quote:
What is Opposite defiant disorder?

i was diagnosed as a child with ODD and i still have it.
if i do not agree with a direction i will countermand it. i do not care whether it seems logical, i will not do what i do not want to do no matter how much force is applied.

i have been arrested many times because i refused to obey what police officers told me to do.

once i was arrested for scrutinizing a wall outside a shopping center and they thought i was harboring ill intentions.

when i was at the police station, the sergeant said to me to pass him a pen that was on my side of the table and i refused.
i automatically refuse requests by people who i do not like and a situation developed that was not good for me that i could not be bothered to describe it.

it is very difficult to be automatically defiant, but it is inevitable for me because my personality is crazy when it comes to people who try to order me to do things that i do not want to do

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 11:23 am

When I was a kid Aspergers and ODD were unknown. If ODD existed as a DX at the time I would have likely been diagnosed with it. I was kicked out of school primarily due to my problems with authority. Later holding down a job for longer than 6 months was a problem. I am also extremely vindictive. The reason it is considered a disorder rather than free thinking is because the reactions and general outlook it causes are excessive and unreasonable. It's not any kind of free thinking. If anything it's very narrow thinking because it restricts flexibility in your thinking.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 4:41 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
When I was a kid Aspergers and ODD were unknown. If ODD existed as a DX at the time I would have likely been diagnosed with it. I was kicked out of school primarily due to my problems with authority. Later holding down a job for longer than 6 months was a problem. I am also extremely vindictive. The reason it is considered a disorder rather than free thinking is because the reactions and general outlook it causes are excessive and unreasonable. It's not any kind of free thinking. If anything it's very narrow thinking because it restricts flexibility in your thinking.

I also am vindictive, but I have no problem respecting authority, I'm rather vindictive, rarely forgetting suffered wrongdoing , I always planning revenge even though I know that this attitude not fitting for a Christian.

GnothiSeauton
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2013, 2:02 am

I don't so much have no respect for authority, just don't care about it. If a person requires my attention in order for me to learn something I have an interest in or require it as a "survival technique", they'll get no opposition from me.
Family and friends are a different matter altogether.
I like politeness and returning it.

Marc420
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2013, 7:01 am

b9 wrote:
Quote:
What is Opposite defiant disorder?

i was diagnosed as a child with ODD and i still have it.
if i do not agree with a direction i will countermand it. i do not care whether it seems logical, i will not do what i do not want to do no matter how much force is applied.

i have been arrested many times because i refused to obey what police officers told me to do.

once i was arrested for scrutinizing a wall outside a shopping center and they thought i was harboring ill intentions.

when i was at the police station, the sergeant said to me to pass him a pen that was on my side of the table and i refused.
i automatically refuse requests by people who i do not like and a situation developed that was not good for me that i could not be bothered to describe it.

it is very difficult to be automatically defiant, but it is inevitable for me because my personality is crazy when it comes to people who try to order me to do things that i do not want to do

That sounds a lot like me although I've never been arrested, only questioned about weed and paraphernalia I had. I got a warning and my stuff was confiscated. But there where many things I got away with for what I could have been arrested for.

In general I get very cocky when talked to by police or authority figures I don't like.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 8:42 am

Marc420 wrote:
b9 wrote:

That sounds a lot like me although I've never been arrested, only questioned about weed and paraphernalia I had. I got a warning and my stuff was confiscated. But there where many things I got away with for what I could have been arrested for.

In general I get very cocky when talked to by police or authority figures I don't like.

well i only ever got into trouble with police for being non compliant with their directions.

i will try to write a more complete description of how oppositional-defiance disorder is in my own case.

one of the basic characteristics of my ODD is that i like to annoy people who i sense are innately irritable. i do not have the compulsion to annoy average easy going people, but if i sense a propensity for irritablility in a person (or even an animal) i get an inclination to irritate it. in a deep sense i find it internally humerus.

i intentionally aggravated the composure of every strict teacher i encountered.

example:
me: my hands are not in my pockets.
teacher: i can see that your hands are in your pockets.

i then pulled my pockets inside out to show they were empty, and i asked him to note that nothing was in my pockets.

teacher: right so you wanna play "funny buggers with me do you"

me: i do not want to play anything with you. i have the right to put my hands in my pockets if i want to even though at the moment there is nothing in them which i just showed you.. (and with that, i pushed my pockets back in with my hands and i did not take my hands out of them). these are my pants and they aren't yours, and you can't tell me what to do with my pants that you did not pay for!

teacher: right! go to the principals office now!

me: no.

teacher: i'll drag you to the principals office if you do not obey me!!

me:if you lay a hand on me you will lose your job!

teacher: get out!! !
(the rest of the class was laughing in disbelief, and i also found it humerous even though i did not laugh)
me: ok.

then i left the school grounds and did what i wanted for the rest of the day.

i also bought a stamp pad, and i used the stamp to punch out my name on every page of every assignment that i completed in class. we were required to initial every page of things like essays or other assignments, and so i felt that the stamp was a labor saving device,

the problem was that in a silent and studious class atmosphere, when i finished my assignment (usually while others were still working), i loudly punched (deliberately) the stamp onto my stamp pad and then on every page of the papers that i had written.
every teacher had a problem with that, and i made sure i smashed the stamp on my stamp pad and then on each page as loud as i could (short of damaging the stamp or the stamp pad). when i was inevitably told to surrender my stamp and stamp pad to the teacher, i refused and i showed them the receipts for the stamp and stamp pad that proved they were mine.

when they ignored the receipts, i told them that they were engaging in aggravated theft and there was no way i would surrender my possessions to them. again the normal kids in the class room were delighted at my unconscionable behavior.

i had physical conflicts with teachers who tried to get my stamp from me, and they never won because they would have had to injure me to get it, and heaven help them (legally) if they injured me.

to add to the problem, i kept my stamp and stamp pad in the top pocket of my shirt, and i also had a pen of almost every color stuffed into it and i had a set square and a protractor and a six inch rule and a casio calculator, and my top pocket was bulging with contents to the point that it was completely aesthetically unacceptable to the teachers. i had so much stuff in my top pocket that i had to tilt my head out of the way lest i get stabbed in the chin.

i was at that time expelled and reinstated into an psychiatric adolescent unit which i very much liked, and i spent the rest of my high school years there with a psychiatrist who i saw every day. no one there elicited any resistance from me and i flowed naturally with them.

after i left (in year 11), there is still some residual tendencies for me to refuse to do what i do not want to do, and i always refuse to do what i do not want to do in a way that i find kind of humerous.

i should take authority seriously i know, but i find much humor in provoking an otherwise serene and community respected person to acts of feral disorder. every one can be provoked to a feral breakdown, and it is exceptionally amusing to me to see bastions of social discipline lose their temper.

i would love to provoke the pope into a pugilistic response.

i am sensible enough to curtail my urges because i want to remain out of the public eye.

Questioning
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2013, 4:20 pm

I dont' have the ODD. I do have Childhood PTSD that sometimes turns into Borderline. I am okay with authority as long as I am left as basically autononous.

I have no desire to hurt anyone or to go "against" authority as it were, I just like being left alone.

I'm pretty old now, so I have no desire to do anything "rebellious."

As for my son, he can respect authority if authority respects him.

I'd say that yes, there is the inflexibility of thinking and there is no real "submission." My thing is, as long as you are reasonable, then why do you have to have blind obedience.

Like with the pockets, okay maybe show that there is nothing in your pockets but then like put your hands right back into your pockets.........maybe that is comfortable, you know?

I think that social authority goes overboard. As long as a person is reasonable--takes baths and doesn't go nude in public and is not abusing or hurting anyone else or themselves then what they do is up to them.

I hope that doesn't sound too anarchist, but that's how I feel.

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2013, 5:16 am

pawelk1986 wrote:

As for authority figure does if that authority figure have less intelligent and play authority card, i think should be remembered who is more intelligent :D

I always used to do as I was told and had an idealised view of authority figures. As I became an adult, I was horrified to realise the true nature of many of these authority figures. So few people have the qualities of a true leader. I began to have conflicts in dealing with organisations or bodies who were behaving less than ethically. When I am well, I will deal with it by following the authority, but reminding them of the fact that I am more intelligent, and reiterating my point clearly and consisely. When I am not well, trying to deal with such people just makes me sicker, because I end up getting too emotional, having a public meltdown, losing face, and taking a couple of days to get over it, losing sleep, which pushes me further into either mania or depression. People misusing their authority is a real trigger point for me - but I take the anger on myself.

I would really like to be able to stand up to such people and to make them squirm for their incompetence.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 10:04 am

another way of simply describing how oppositional defiant disorder is, is to imagine a dog on a leash that has to be dragged along while it backpedals furiously with it's eyes rolled back into it's head.

the answer is "no" every time when i am prevailed upon by those who think they have authority over me.

once i was in a tavern waiting for my dinner to be cooked, and i was the only person sitting at a 4 person table, and the place was packed, and a testosterone fueled young man came to my table and said:

him: g'day champ. i'm just going to relieve you of these 3 chairs.
me: i'm sorry?!?
him: you dont' need the other three chairs mate, so were gonna take them if that's ok.

me: no it's not ok. you can see that my brief case is on the chair beside me, and i have my feet resting on the chair in front of me. and the other chair is a spare in case i need it.

him: are you serious?

me: yes.

him: just put your f****n briefcase on the ground and take your feet off this chair and forget about the "spare" dude.

me: i'll give you a chair in your head if you really want one.

him: duuude... can ya back that up c*nt??

me: yes i can. i was sitting here first.

him: your'e a f**k wit mate.

i stood up and picked up my chair, and was immediately constrained by security (who were aware of the escalating situation) and i was expelled from the tavern and the young man got all 4 seats and i did not get my meal that i paid for and i did not get a refund.
i was banned from that tavern permanently and i never went back .
if he had asked me nicely if i could spare some chairs from my table, i would have said yes,

the point was that he imposed his authority on me by expecting me to give him the chairs because he was "stronger" and more deserved than me, and he expected me to just melt and oblige and he tripped a trigger that i can not ignore.