Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 7:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I have ADD (without H) and it affects every part of my life. I haven't been able to tolerate meds and was wondering if I could get some tips from someone who has successfully managed their ADD w/o meds.

I have explored the meds route thoroughly with doctors, so suggesting new meds won't really help me here. I need advice more along the lines of lifestyle. Too often I am becoming "frozen" and can't do anything, I'm so overwhelmed and riddled with anxiety, racing thoughts, etc. Those with ADD will know exactly what I'm talking about.

When I get medicaid, I will find a new doc, but that won't be for awhile as I've just applied.

Thank you in advance!

:)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 4:23 pm

You mention experiencing anxiety. Anxiety can mimic ADD, and ADD meds tend to make anxiety worse. So I'm wondering if you've tried any medication for anxiety? Anti-depressants, for example, are often used to reduce anxiety. If it's anxiety impeding your ability to concentrate, that would explain you not responding to ADD meds.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 5:29 pm

Ettina wrote:
You mention experiencing anxiety. Anxiety can mimic ADD, and ADD meds tend to make anxiety worse. So I'm wondering if you've tried any medication for anxiety? Anti-depressants, for example, are often used to reduce anxiety. If it's anxiety impeding your ability to concentrate, that would explain you not responding to ADD meds.

Thanks for the info. I am on a benzodiazapene.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 5:39 pm

I'm not diagnosed with ADHD yet, so I'm not on meds. But exercise helps. My good days are the days when I exercise.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 3:43 pm

deltafunction wrote:
I'm not diagnosed with ADHD yet, so I'm not on meds. But exercise helps. My good days are the days when I exercise.

Moving around does help.

Nowadays I'm medicating with music and coffee. Caffeine, while exacerbating my anxiety, helps me focus. Music does everything for me as far as healing - it's the love of my life. On days when I can't focus enough to even cook lunch, I turn on music very loud and then I'm able to cook happily, for example. Being musically gifted has truly saved my life.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 3:16 am

Arrange your study/work according to how your brain functions.

Eg. work for 1 hour, run for 20 minutes, do the dishes for 15 minutes, work for another 30 minutes. Do everything in short bursts.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 6:18 am

kouzoku wrote:
deltafunction wrote:

Moving around does help.

Nowadays I'm medicating with music and coffee. Caffeine, while exacerbating my anxiety, helps me focus. Music does everything for me as far as healing - it's the love of my life. On days when I can't focus enough to even cook lunch, I turn on music very loud and then I'm able to cook happily, for example. Being musically gifted has truly saved my life.

I do that too! That completely makes sense. I'm also kind of hyperactive so I talk to people too when I am feeling agitated. I try to stay away from drinking too much caffeine, alcohol and food, but I can't help but admit that those things help me focus.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Apr 2013, 6:33 pm

kouzoku wrote:
Ettina wrote:

Thanks for the info. I am on a benzodiazapene.
Benzos can sometimes be good for helping the racing thoughts associated with ADD & ADHD but they can make concentration harder sense they're a kind of tranquilizer. I have ADD too & that's been my expedience with em. I take Buspar for my anxiety & that helps it alot & doesn't have the sedating effect benzos have. One thing I found that sometimes helps my ADD is trying to make my ADD work for me. Instead of just doing one task that causes me to zone out; I try & do something else that uses different senses, for example I'll post while listening to music or wash dishes while watching TV.
Be careful with meds. I had ADHD as a kid & teen. I had the racing thoughts & some hyper but after spending 5 years on various psych meds due to a mental breakdown when I was 20 I no longer have the racing thoughts or get hyper. It's harder for me to focus now. It's like the H in ADHD went away & got replaced by the Attention Deficit getting worse

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 4:48 pm

Diet, exercise, and consistently doing productive things in short bursts tend to play a big role in improving your symptoms. I think Nootropics have been a large factor in improving my abilities to cope with the symptoms of ADD/ADHD. I recommend Phenylpiracetam for its energizing, motivating, and focus driven qualities.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 11:58 pm

I am joining the local YMCA. I found out that they have arthritis classes every single week day and it's just what I need for my autoimmune problems. Every day I will have somewhere to go and not only get exercise, but exercise that it suited for my personal needs.

My doc and I decided to try Depakote. It is sometimes used to treat ADD and is the only psych med I could tolerate in the past. The reason I could tolerate it is because it's actually an anti seizure med and doesn't mess with serotonin levels in the brain. Until a few days ago, I had completely forgotten I was ever on Depakote. I didn't have a diagnosis of ADD back then (10 years ago), but I remember that "grounded" me in some way. I'm curious to find out if it actually helped with ADD symptoms. It's worth a try!

If anyone is interested, I'll let you know how this treatment goes for me. It will take a month or more for me to really know, of course.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Woodfish
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2013, 7:25 am

sunshower wrote:
Arrange your study/work according to how your brain functions.

Eg. work for 1 hour, run for 20 minutes, do the dishes for 15 minutes, work for another 30 minutes. Do everything in short bursts.

My diagnoses are AS and depersonalization. I've come to realize I also have lots of either ADD or ADHD things.

I agree with the short bursts. This far that has worked almost like magic in my case. Keeping things really small. It seems projects can't get too small for me.

If we concentrate on accepting ourselves, change will happen. It will take care of itself. Self-acceptance is so hard to get you can't do it a day at a time. I've found that I need to run my life five minutes at a time. --Jess Lair

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 1:33 pm

My primary diagnosis is ADHD along with AS traits. I went on Adderall, Ritalin, etc. when I was seven. I hated it. It made me feel zombified. Aside from stuff I'd buy off of my coworkers from time to time in the past, I've sworn off of them completely. As an adult, they were a little more helpful. Instead of getting distracted by every shiny thing, I would have all of my natural mental energy focused on whatever it was I was trying to accomplish, and accomplish I did, but mentally, it made me feel empty. Just workworkworkworkwork no thinking workworkworkmore.

I can't help but wonder what lunacy inspires doctor to give children speed.

Anyway, these days the main way I handle it is by not handling it, and guess what? I've accomplished quite a lot. I'll work for a bit, the go explore the street a mile up from house, come back, surf the net, work more, monologue the cat, make tea, work more. I'm a mental sprinter. In short bursts, I can produce a lot of good work, spread throughout the day. It's harder to maintain when I'm stuck at work for an eight hour shift, but while I'm in school, it's a great tactic.

One thing I will never do is what my psychologist recommended... excessive structure. Daily planners, adhering to a specific schedule, planning everything, never allowing room for randomness... this drives me insane. I feel like psychologists are trying to make people with ADHD conform to a world that was designed by people with the opposite mindset. They're trying to fit an abstract sculpture into a round hole. It's destined not to work. I've tried living a sedentary, hyperorganized life, and it's just made me fat, alcoholic and depressed.

In the long term, I think the most important thing is to pick a job with loose structure, varied tasks, and always something new going on. Medicine is one, or entrepreneurship, or journalism, or long-haul trucking, or embassy work. For me, what will help is to never be doing the same thing in the same place for very long.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 2:13 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
My primary diagnosis is ADHD along with AS traits. I went on Adderall, Ritalin, etc. when I was seven. I hated it. It made me feel zombified. Aside from stuff I'd buy off of my coworkers from time to time in the past, I've sworn off of them completely. As an adult, they were a little more helpful. Instead of getting distracted by every shiny thing, I would have all of my natural mental energy focused on whatever it was I was trying to accomplish, and accomplish I did, but mentally, it made me feel empty. Just workworkworkworkwork no thinking workworkworkmore.

Anyway, these days the main way I handle it is by not handling it, and guess what? I've accomplished quite a lot. I'll work for a bit, the go explore the street a mile up from house, come back, surf the net, work more, monologue the cat, make tea, work more. I'm a mental sprinter. In short bursts, I can produce a lot of good work, spread throughout the day. It's harder to maintain when I'm stuck at work for an eight hour shift, but while I'm in school, it's a great tactic.

One thing I will never do is what my psychologist recommended... excessive structure. Daily planners, adhering to a specific schedule, planning everything, never allowing room for randomness... this drives me insane. I feel like psychologists are trying to make people with ADHD conform to a world that was designed by people with the opposite mindset. They're trying to fit an abstract sculpture into a round hole. It's destined not to work. I've tried living a sedentary, hyperorganized life, and it's just made me fat, alcoholic and depressed.

In the long term, I think the most important thing is to pick a job with loose structure, varied tasks, and always something new going on. Medicine is one, or entrepreneurship, or journalism, or long-haul trucking, or embassy work. For me, what will help is to never be doing the same thing in the same place for very long.

After I get some health issues taken care of, I'm going back to uni to get a second degree, this time is music. Music is my number one talent and the only thing in this world that "reins in my mind". I've given up on trying to do anything that is not meant for my brain.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 6:16 pm

kouzoku wrote:
After I get some health issues taken care of, I'm going back to uni to get a second degree, this time is music. Music is my number one talent and the only thing in this world that "reins in my mind". I've given up on trying to do anything that is not meant for my brain.

I applaud that. Talent and passion should be encouraged, nurtured. Too often, I feel that the schools drain it out of us instead. I'm a writer, by nature. It may not always show in my posts, mostly because I tend to rush them and don't bother to proofread, but in my time I've produced some fantastic pieces, both creative and journalistic. When I write, I'm a different person, calmer, more focused, less agitated. It's like meditation. I've wanted to write for a living since I was a small child. Yet, when I put voice to this ambition, both my teachers and parents seemed to rally in a united front against me. "There's no money in it." they said. "It's not secure." they said. "The likelihood of you producing a work worthy of publishing is about the same as winning the lottery." Whatever they said, the unifying theme was "You can't do it." Why not? It wasn't until I was in twelfth grade, when I had a teacher who was passionate about literature who encouraged my talent that I began to think otherwise. To this day, however, I still doubt. I change my major, then I change it back, then I change it again, because I doubt whether I can hack it as a writer.

The thing for people with ADHD... that one thing that calms your mind, soothes you, "reins in your mind," as you said... that's what you were meant to do. You may never get rich. You may just. You might just end up as a session musician or a music teacher. Whatever. If it makes you happy, go for it. Don't let anybody tell you different.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 7:23 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:
kouzoku wrote:

I applaud that. Talent and passion should be encouraged, nurtured. Too often, I feel that the schools drain it out of us instead. I'm a writer, by nature. It may not always show in my posts, mostly because I tend to rush them and don't bother to proofread, but in my time I've produced some fantastic pieces, both creative and journalistic. When I write, I'm a different person, calmer, more focused, less agitated. It's like meditation. I've wanted to write for a living since I was a small child. Yet, when I put voice to this ambition, both my teachers and parents seemed to rally in a united front against me. "There's no money in it." they said. "It's not secure." they said. "The likelihood of you producing a work worthy of publishing is about the same as winning the lottery." Whatever they said, the unifying theme was "You can't do it." Why not? It wasn't until I was in twelfth grade, when I had a teacher who was passionate about literature who encouraged my talent that I began to think otherwise. To this day, however, I still doubt. I change my major, then I change it back, then I change it again, because I doubt whether I can hack it as a writer.

The thing for people with ADHD... that one thing that calms your mind, soothes you, "reins in your mind," as you said... that's what you were meant to do. You may never get rich. You may just. You might just end up as a session musician or a music teacher. Whatever. If it makes you happy, go for it. Don't let anybody tell you different.

You're absolutely right. I encountered much of the same discouragement as you, too. In college, I changed majors 5 times, all the while knowing what I really wanted to do, but convinced I had to get a technical degree in order to make money. People also told me that since I'm "smart enough" for engineering or what-not, anything else was stupid and a waste. Well, the six years I spent in Uni wasn't completely a waste, but I should have done what I wanted.

I truly hope you are able to achieve not only happiness and peace with your writing, but some revenue as well. :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 May 2013, 3:56 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:

I'm kind of the opposite with my ADD. 1ce I take a break from a task I get caught up in what I'm doing in my break & get side-tracked by different things & it's really hard for me to get back to what I was doing. I have OCD & also some OCPD traits so I do a lot better with structure, routine & predictability. When there's a lot of different new things going on I feel overloaded & cant figure out what to tackle 1st & keep getting side-tracked by doing or wanting to do other task which is a chaotic mess. I cant handle paying heavy attention on anything for long & my mind needs a break fast so doing something routine & predictable works alot better for me because I kind of daydream or do other minor things while doing it like listening to music or talking if I'm working with someone else.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition